IGNORED

Gas tank lid modification

The gas tank lid was designed very poorly and is a hassle to put gas in the tank.I modified the lid on my 2018 Yamaha venture so it would go all the way back instead of standing up at a 90° angle. I bought a 2 inch hinge from Lowe’s and installed it on the back of the lid. I removed the factory plastic hinges with a hacksaw. I covered the hinge with the fuzzy side Velcro to hide it. It works real well. I have included pictures.

195452AF-E896-4786-A8D4-BA284562474E.jpeg

DE051632-E08C-424E-903B-60ACC781BA10.jpeg

C95A1B61-17A5-49AC-8776-FC2E6C82D329.jpeg

On 10/14/2021 at 5:35 PM, Kent said:

It would be tough mounting it on the inside. If you had the right size hinge you may be able to make it work. The outside hinge works extremely well. Just need to pretty it up some

Although it might work it looks as though you’ve destroyed the automatic opening of the lid by the spring.

While mounting it inside may have been more difficult, the resulting “factory look” is always worth the effort. You may even have been able to find a hinge that was spring loaded to maintain that function.

Case in point when I installed the remote microphone for my dual camera system. Installing it wasn’t easy, but the results speak for themself.

5978CF9B-6D68-480E-95B6-12CCE999F053.jpeg

F27AEF50-B46F-4F43-83FD-90B03C827F75.jpeg

Edited by ChiefGunner

There is nothing destroyed on the lid,  it works perfect. I did trim the top of the lid down on a prior project to make way for the Rox risers.
Not sure how you would get a hinge on the inside of the lid but I’m sure it could be done. I don’t think the modification is that noticeable. It doesn’t depreciate a plastic lid that was already ugly, cheap and unfunctionable

You’re right, it would look much better if it was installed on the inside. I will continue to look for a spring loaded hinge that would work.

It is extremely nice having full access to the gas tank and may have to forego the aesthetics for function