IGNORED

05 RSTD with Baron 4-2-4 exhaust Question

I have an 05 Tour deluxe with the Yamaha chrome intakes with K&N filters and have been running the 4-2-4 nasty boys with the fiber glass wrapped baffles for 30,000 miles now , this weekend I completly removed the baffles and the bike sounds and runs Awesome, my question is: Is it ok to run the bike like that without rejetting the carbs?...............Thanks

I would say run for a while and then check your plugs for a lean running condition. Another indicator of insufficient back pressure is backfiring at deceleration. So as  long as your plugs do not show a lean running condition and you do not have a lot of backfiring you should be fine. If you do find your running too lean and are backfiring a lot on deceleration there is the risk of burning valves.

Thanks for the reply!  I know when I first installed the 4-2-4 slip on's they plugged off that line so there wouldn't be any popping at decel, as far as it is now with the baffles completely removed I get no backfiring what so ever appears to be running better then it did with the baffles, also when I installed the 4-2-4 slip ons originally Yamaha put it on an exhaust analyzer and adjusted the mixture and it appeared they had set it kind of rich as black carbon would form on the chrome tips and I would have to clean them all the time.

• 9 months later...

My bike pre Ivan's jet kit was much slower without the baffles. Very noticeable lack of pull above 70 MPH and it was so loud I couldn't think. Haven't tried it lately after jetting but let us know what you think after a few rides. These bikes are rich in the mid range from the factory.