IGNORED

84 Venture Royale carburetor removal cleaning

1 hour ago, VentRoy84 said:

This 1984 VR was stored in the barn 20 years.  I got it started on choke, but it stalls out.  Is there detailed carb removal, cleaning videos?  I hear there is a send to person?  Thanks for any help.
 Steve

If I’d have known it was as easy as it was I’d have made a video yesterday.  Only took about 20 min (not including plastic removal).  I used this thread as a guide.

Two tips I learned yesterday.

1. Take the choke cable off first, that will enlighten you as to how the cable attaches to the carb.  I didn’t know how it was attached so doing it blind inside the carb bank was a bitch.

2. Use the bike and leverage to your advantage.  It seemed people had trouble getting the carbs out of the lower boots.  I put a block of wood on the frame rail below the carbs and used another piece of board to pop them out.  Pics below, obviously carbs already removed.

someone please correct me if I’m steering this guy wrong for a Mk1

67312B5C-D275-4315-9604-6C79D2ADDFAB.jpeg

33DA8AAA-2C96-483A-A674-FAA5D8E5C4D2.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Pasta Burner said:

1. Take the choke cable off first, that will enlighten you as to how the cable attaches to the carb.  I didn’t know how it was attached so doing it blind inside the carb bank was a bitch.

2. Use the bike and leverage to your advantage.  It seemed people had trouble getting the carbs out of the lower boots.  I put a block of wood on the frame rail below the carbs and used another piece of board to pop them out.  Pics below, obviously carbs already removed.

17 minutes ago, Pasta Burner said:

Looks about right. Block of wood to find a fulcrum and a pry bar of sorts.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for carburetor removal and overhaul information. I hope to get back to the venture royale fairly soon but medical issues have delayed me.  
  Is there information on removing the air box above the carbs and or anything else before pulling the carbs?  Steve

4 hours ago, VentRoy84 said:

Thank you for carburetor removal and overhaul information. I hope to get back to the venture royale fairly soon but medical issues have delayed me.  
  Is there information on removing the air box above the carbs and or anything else before pulling the carbs?  Steve

The air box just has four boots with hose clamps that fit onto each carb.  Also there is a hose running in the rear middle bottom of the box to the breather below the carbs.  Loosen that hose at the breather end.  Then just lift it right off.  I replaced the screws in my clamps as the heads were getting pretty wore out.  Also unless you have freakishly small hands putting the breather hose back on is a pain in the ass.

4 hours ago, Pasta Burner said:

Also unless you have freakishly small hands putting the breather hose back on is a pain in the ass.

I find that is best done with the hose attached to the breather, then carefully lower into the proper position one little step at a time, in the end a long needle nosed pliers finishes the job. Now if there are 2 people it can go easier, but you'll have to learn to communicate real well.