IGNORED

Tour Deluxe Help Please

Hey everyone. I’m new to the site but need a little help. I picked up a 2005 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe. I got it pretty cheap, the guy said it had carb problems. He looked at it and gave up on it and let it sit for five years in an open air shed with the tank and breather box off of it. The carbs were locked up, but I disassembled them and cleaned them and got everything  freed up and blown out. Reassembled and put them on the bike. But this is not what I need help with. 

im good with mechanical but not so good with wiring. The coil for the front right cylinder was missing the plug wire so I’ll have to replace it. But also, the wires powering the coil are missing. So here lies my problem. I’ve seen on eBay, used coil harnesses. Most of them appear to run two coils. But the front left coil is intact, with wires going to it. My question is what coil harness do I need and where do I plug it in. There is an unplugged plug in my harness with a red/black strip and white wire. Maybe this is it. And…I don’t understand wiring diagrams very well, so could someone please tell me the location. Thanks 

Ok, so I ordered a new to me used coil. And got it firing. Luckily, it was the obvious plug in on the wiring harness. It’s running ok. I’ll probably do the AIS delete to clear up some backfire. 

But first, I’ve got to clear up another issue. It doesn’t seem to be charging the new battery I put in it. With a little research and YouTube, I’ve checked the stator for continuity. It seems to check out fine. All three wires to ground show OL. And all three wires paired in different configuration show resistance. 

So next I move on to the regulator/rectifier. Thanks to a YouTube video I was able to run a biased and reversed biased test. It checked out fine, according to the YouTube. 

Still no charge. Is there anything else I should check. Any help would be appreciated 

C00C9FE3-4CFD-4879-B632-4D7199E4669F.jpeg

966304A2-BC5F-44C5-82DB-6852FFFCE444.jpeg

And also, I just replugged in the stator plug. And before I plugged in the rectifier regulator, I went to the front of the bike at the RR plug and checked the stator there. It also has continuity there. So I’d say the stator plug is making connection. 

And…. I checked the red wire from the RR plug to the positive battery cable, it is good. And the same with the black. It’s good to the battery ground. What is this little box that the positive battery lead is coming out of??? I know probably a stupid question, but hey, I’m terrible at electrical!!!

image.jpg

Sorry for the rapid fire questions. I checked all the fuses in the fuse box. And the two 30 amp fuses on this box that I pointed to in the picture. But there is no continuity between the two poles on this box thing that I don’t know what it is. I’m assuming it is the starter solenoid and only connect when the starter button is depressed. Let me check that. 

Ok. So I’ve checked everything and put it all back together. And still the battery doesn’t seem to be charging. I bought a new battery for this bike. But I bought the cheapest battery I could find. It cranks well when it’s charged. Charged, it’ll reading around 13.2. But with the bike running, it drops down into mid 12v. I would think it should be in the 14v range with the bike running. Maybe it's the cheap battery, I dunno. I think I’ll try and crank the bike and disconnect the battery lead and see if it’ll still run. And maybe with the bike running, I’ll test voltage straight out of the rr. 

Any thoughts?

You mention about testing the stator leads, did you verify with the engine running that all 3 are putting out AC voltage?  Also too when you unplugged the rectifier, how did the plug end look? they are notorious for getting corroded and burning up the ground wire on them. Have you done a load test on the battery? just because it's new doesn't mean it's good.

Yes. I’ve checked the all three leads on the stator for voltage. They are all 15 to 20 while idling and will go to 80 or higher when reved. And the plug ends look good. Load test the battery while starting goes down just little. But. Nothing major. I did crank it and the removed the battery lead. The motorcycle immediately died. I think the rr is bad. Even though it’s checked out good. I think I’ll order a new one and see how that does.  

• Like 1

Ok. I took a regulator off my four wheeler and wired it into my bike. And it finally showed signs of charging. So I’ve got the correct one ordered. That should fix it. 

I took the bike for about a ten mile loop yesterday and it was sputtering out every time I would gas more than about a quarter throttle. Let me start by saying that I think the bike idles great. On a cold start, it fires right up without choking. And I think that may be part of the issue. Could it be that when I gas on it, it’s flooding itself out. And if so, how can I adjust this. I rebuilt all the carbs, but I didn’t mess with any of the adjustment screws. 

On 10/9/2021 at 2:01 PM, Jacobs601 said:

Ok. I took a regulator off my four wheeler and wired it into my bike. And it finally showed signs of charging. So I’ve got the correct one ordered. That should fix it. 

I took the bike for about a ten mile loop yesterday and it was sputtering out every time I would gas more than about a quarter throttle. Let me start by saying that I think the bike idles great. On a cold start, it fires right up without choking. And I think that may be part of the issue. Could it be that when I gas on it, it’s flooding itself out. And if so, how can I adjust this. I rebuilt all the carbs, but I didn’t mess with any of the adjustment screws. 

Do you have the RR replaced yet? If not then you are running on low voltage and that will cause low spark. If you haven't adjusted the carbs after cleaning them then it's high time that gets done,,, a carb sync and idle air adjustmnet.

• 2 weeks later...