IGNORED

is there a list of aftermarket rear shock options for the 84 VR ??

Progressive does make springs for the front end. They work well and negate the need for air if installed properly.

I have no idea on the rear shock. Is the rear shock seal bad or is it the compressor system that is fried? You could probably just use a schrader valve and get rid of the CLASS system.

Quite a few years ago I’d seen an aftermarket rear spring and shock, if memory serves me correct I think it was made by Progressive….there were some available on eBay and maybe even one or two showed up in our classifieds.

Since these bike are so old and so few (at least to a manufacturer like Progressive), I doubt it’s still available. Might be worth a shot to contact Progressive’s R&D department…..perhaps they could help you with spec’s, maybe there is some ‘off the shelf’ alternative that they or someone else has available?

Progressive did make a rear spring to replace the stock Yamaha one but retained the factory shock.  I dont know of any one that made a rear replacement shock and getting one for a bike that is almost 30 years old would be tough. You can find used Yamaha shocks on ebay and that might be the way to go if your shock is bad.

Rick F.

On 9/27/2021 at 8:50 AM, luvmy40 said:

Progressive does make springs for the front end. They work well and negate the need for air if installed properly.

I have no idea on the rear shock. Is the rear shock seal bad or is it the compressor system that is fried? You could probably just use a schrader valve and get rid of the CLASS system.

the compressor system only comes on when the key is set to accessory will inflate the rear shock fine but it wont hold air ...the forks take air but bleed down over a day or two ..the rear shock bleed down in a matter of minutes .. a tech is who suggested i lose the class system from his personal experience with it ... he talked about using a standard shock from from a few different bikes an then upgrade the spring but did not remember which one in particular 

For the class system to only come on with key in ACC is normal. I would take some soapy water and spray the entire system. Leaks could come from the lines or a failing solenoid valve as well as the air bag or front fork seals. The collars around the top of the front forks to which the air lines connect, have simple o-rings that may have dried out and failed. to replace the o-rings you need only slide the forks out enough to allow the collars to slip of the top end of the forks, replace the o-rings and slide it all back together.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, 84VentureMatt said:

@Saddlebum I tried the soapy water and got zero bubbles or signs of an air leak so frustrated 

I get that. I have spent hours searching for air leaks on transport trucks which have miles of air lines, fittings and air bags unable to find any, yet the customer insists it looses air over night. Sometimes you have to add extra soap to the water spray everything down and wait a few minutes. The tell tale is sometimes nothing more than a very slight foaming at the leak. Also check the exhaust ports and or open ended lines near the solenoid valves. Cover the hole or end of hose very lightly with a wet soapy finger. Its possible the valves are leaking internally and allowing air to escape through the exhaust port. If your not sure were they are with the compressor assembly uncovered, lower the pressure using the buttons on the class control panel. As you do this you will hear were the air is escaping as the system dumps air, these are your exhaust ports. they should seal up tight other than when dumping air. If air is leaking out of these other than when lowering the suspension than the valves are faulty and need to be replaced.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, saddlebum said:

I get that. I have spent hours searching for air leaks on transport trucks which have miles of air lines, fittings and air bags unable to find any, yet the customer insists it looses air over night. Sometimes you have to add extra soap to the water spray everything down and wait a few minutes. The tell tale is sometimes nothing more than a very slight foaming at the leak. Also check the exhaust ports and or open ended lines near the solenoid valves. Cover the hole or end of hose very lightly with a wet soapy finger. Its possible the valves are leaking internally and allowing air to escape through the exhaust port. If your not sure were they are with the compressor assembly uncovered, lower the pressure using the buttons on the class control panel. As you do this you will hear were the air is escaping as the system dumps air, these are your exhaust ports. they should seal up tight other than when dumping air. If air is leaking out of these other than when lowering the suspension than the valves are faulty and need to be replaced.

I was going to say that!!

11 hours ago, saddlebum said:

ok I will give that a try . Looks like I have some work cut out for me with the sudden mysterious gremlins that are presenting themselves to me