IGNORED

Small oil dribble

Hey guys I’m being lazy cause I know someone will recognize what this is and how to fix it quicker than I can look it up. Yesterday I was getting ready to ride after bike had sat for a couple of weeks and I noticed a small dribble of oil running down the chrome case cover on left side from above. Here’s a picture of the component that was leaking I think at the bottom is a gasket, so maybe around that. What is this component and have you seen it leak before on your bikes? Thanks!

4507D37D-058B-4B91-81A9-E84CB63BA7B2.jpeg

Jim,

Here is the part numbers for the gaskets and a parts break down from Yamaha, this is all the same throughout the years, I just brought it up for my 02

https://www.shopyamaha.com/parts-catalog/parts/street-mcy?ls=Tour#/Yamaha/ROYAL_STAR_MIDNIGHT_VENTURE_-_XVZ1300TFSPC_-_2002/RADIATOR_HOSE

#28 and #30 are the ones you're looking for

28 Part # 26H-12428-00-00

30 Part # 26H-12427-00-00

Edited by Squidley

For what its worth, I recently bought a 2012 RSV and while doing pre-purchase inspection I noticed a bunch of oily substance coating the bottom of the carbs, some in that center twinkie area and a LOT coating basically the entire rear (bottom half) of the engine, I needed a flashlight shined up under the gas tank area to realize it was coming from the top of the engine area somewhere... I bought the bike anyway crossing my fingers that it wasnt a serious issue since I had a feeling it was related to the emissions since before I went to look at the bike I did a bit of digging on the RSV and found some bikes had this issue. 1st thing I did was rip down the top half of the bike and it ended up that 1 of the 2 small hoses that connect to the bottom of the airbox nipple on the left side had popped off some time ago and it had been dumping this for quite some time now. Believe its the motorcycle version of what a PCV valve does on a vehicle. I want to figure out a way to make some kind of a catch can or delete this completely since it made a huge oily mess, also no way the engine can be running optimally trying to process that much oil thru the airbox. Wondering if the valves being adjusted may reduce the amount of oil that gets dumped out? (I also know from reading here that making sure the oil is no higher than half way up the sight glass makes a big difference and the PO definately had too much oil in there). Different thread tho, not trying to take this off track.

Anyway.... I mention this just in case you have something similar going on and its not related to the twinkie gasket. May be worth checking 

Yep. Blowby from the crankcase will deposit oil in air filter collection assembly sitting under that tank. It will collect there and drip down the left side as the bike sits that way...leaning left. Most of the oil there is from to much oil in the crankcase. Oil in that collector area (or whatever it's called) is normal. The crankcase needs to breathe....