IGNORED

Clutch Replacement Options

Going to bite the bullet and replace my clutch plates (steels and fibers), as well as my springs this fall….I’ve only got about 30k (15 of which have been put on by me in the last 7 years) and my clutch has always kind of slipped/chunked/shuttered in 1st and 2nd upon hard acceleration (nothing in 3/4/5).

Which brands should I look at or stay away from? I’m leaning towards Barnett, but I trust EBC for my brakes, why not my clutch? And then there’s always Mama Yam OEM…

FREEBIRD has a nice write up in the tech section…I’ll take any tips from those who’ve tackled this project in the past.

7 minutes ago, Patmac6075 said:

Going to bite the bullet and replace my clutch plates (steels and fibers), as well as my springs this fall….I’ve only got about 30k (15 of which have been put on by me in the last 7 years) and my clutch has always kind of slipped/chunked/shuttered in 1st and 2nd upon hard acceleration (nothing in 3/4/5).

Which brands should I look at or stay away from? I’m leaning towards Barnett, but I trust EBC for my brakes, why not my clutch? And then there’s always Mama Yam OEM…

FREEBIRD has a nice write up in the tech section…I’ll take any tips from those who’ve tackled this project in the past.

I used the Barnett clutch replacement kit with clutch plates and gasket. It was super easy. It was a job I was really worried about doing myself but was able to knock it out.  That was before I found all the excellent advice here too. LOL.  there a a lot of good YouTube videos too

I used the Barnett carbon fiber clutch kit with pressure plate about 6 years ago and its still working great. Carbon fiber is recommended if you do a lot of slip clutching like crawling through a parking lot at less than walking speed and great for trailer pulling without clutch slipping.

Hey PJ,

Far be it for me to point out that you ALREADY HAVE the Clutch Pressure Plate and Six Compression Spring Clutch System that Barnett has so shamelessly COPIED except their Pressure Plate is powder coated Purple! (Which you CAN"T See once you put the clutch cover back on!! Never did understand that one!) And far be it for me to point out that your Clutch System is 37 years old! The issue I HAVE with the Carbon Fiber Barnett Friction Discs is they generate a tremendous amount of heat which has to be absorbed by the engine oil and radiator coolant. Plus, those carbon fiber clutch friction discs get a little "cranky" when they are cold. Unless you are "Racing" this motorcycle, you may want to have a look at Genuine Yamaha Clutch Friction Discs and a good set of EBC Heavy Duty Compression Springs! That should last you another 37 years or so, and leave a few extra bucks in your bank account! Just sayin".

Earl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, skydoc_17 said:

The issue I HAVE with the Carbon Fiber Barnett Friction Discs is they generate a tremendous amount of heat which has to be absorbed by the engine oil and radiator coolant. Plus, those carbon fiber clutch friction discs get a little "cranky" when they are cold.

Its extremely rare that I disagree with you Earl and I still don't claim to know better. I just know that I have run the Barnett carbon fiber clutch for about 70,000 KM now give or take and I have not noticed any of the issues you pointed out. Always smooth yet solid engagement. No slippage or increased engine heat and slip clutching to be able to move at an almost dead stopped crawl is a dream with no bad side effects. For myself I cannot say anything bad about this clutch and would have no issue installing another one should this one ever wear out which so far it is showing no inclination of doing anytime soon.

Hey Ben,

You were unusually "kind" in your comment just now, and I wanted to thank you for that. Would it be fair to say that the term "Rode it like I stole it" would describe your riding style to a degree, my friend. Be honest now, I've seen you ride your Venture more than once. I was just pointing out that for the riders that ride a little less aggressively, your clutch system MIGHT not be as smooth as the stock system if their riding style is more like "I ride it like I borrowed it, from Mike Tyson" LOL!! The most wonderful thing about these bikes is the fact that you can set them up any way you like! I have admired your riding skill for a number of years Ben, because as you know, I too like to ride HARD and FAST, and keep my bike in tip top shape, (and heavily modified) so that I can do just that! BUT in addition to my 87'VR I also have a pretty much bone stock 89'VR that I run to the store or work on all the time. Same bike, totally set up differently. Life, as well as our motorcycles, are full of options, I was just bringing a few more to the table, nothing more.

Thank you again for your kindness Sir,

Earl

11 hours ago, skydoc_17 said:

Hey Ben,

You were unusually "kind" in your comment just now, and I wanted to thank you for that. Would it be fair to say that the term "Rode it like I stole it" would describe your riding style to a degree, my friend. Be honest now, I've seen you ride your Venture more than once. I was just pointing out that for the riders that ride a little less aggressively, your clutch system MIGHT not be as smooth as the stock system if their riding style is more like "I ride it like I borrowed it, from Mike Tyson" LOL!! The most wonderful thing about these bikes is the fact that you can set them up any way you like! I have admired your riding skill for a number of years Ben, because as you know, I too like to ride HARD and FAST, and keep my bike in tip top shape, (and heavily modified) so that I can do just that! BUT in addition to my 87'VR I also have a pretty much bone stock 89'VR that I run to the store or work on all the time. Same bike, totally set up differently. Life, as well as our motorcycles, are full of options, I was just bringing a few more to the table, nothing more.

Thank you again for your kindness Sir,

Earl

Well I do admit there are times when I like to let my pony have its head but most times I keep her on a short rein or ride it as as you say like I borrowed it. I usually prefer taking the back roads instead of the highways and enjoying the scenery ( maybe I'm starting to get a tad long in the tooth ) . Its also my daily commute vehicle, to and from work,  from the time the roads are clear of ice and snow, until the snow returns, which these days is about ten months out of the year. Commuting to work involves riding in a lot of stop and go traffic which is were I really appreciate the clutches ability to slip clutch when needed or want it, since I hate constantly coming to a full stop  and putting my feet down all the time, ( and I am not a bike walker ) yet it will take a firm hold as well when needed. Like I said I do not have your expertise which I have the utmost respect for, I can only give MHO based on what I have experienced with my own bike.

BTW what do you  mean unusually kind? I thought I was always kind :innocent-emoticon:

Edited by saddlebum
  • Haha 1