IGNORED

Great trip but almost got stranded

Heimdog

Wife and I just got back from a 10-day trip West.  Started in WI, through MN.  Two days, three nights in SD riding the Badlands, Black Hills, Spearfish Canyon, Deadwood, Sturgis (after the rally), Needles Highway, Custer State Park.  On to Laramie WY, then down into CO for a few days.  Rocky Mountain National Park, Rabbit Ear Pass and many other scenic roads through the Colorado Rockies.  Rode home through NE & IA, the final 1,000 miles all Interstate.  

At one point late in the trip my 07 RSV started sputtering as if it was out of gas.  I had plenty in the tank but switched to reserve anyway, no change.  Coasted to the side of the road and revved it a little and it came back to life.  I switched off of reserve and had no other issues.  Once home between weather and post-vacation tasks the bike sat for a week.  I rolled it out of the garage to wash it and prep for a ride that afternoon.  Very difficult to start and when it did it wouldn't stay started.  Front cylinders were cold, rear ones hot.  Trailered it to the shop and the diagnosis is that the fuel pump is bad.  It'll be in the shop for a week or so waiting on the part, if it's available in the US.  Boy, if that would have given up the ghost somewhere in Nebraska or Colorado I would have been renting a car to get home, then jump through hoops to get the bike repaired and home.  

Aside from all that nonsense it was an amazing trip!  3200 miles.  Anyone who's been in those areas knows the scenery and wildlife is second to none.  Pictures don't do it justice.  We've been to SD and CO in the cage, with the kids when they were young.  This was a first for us riding the iron horse.  Several bucket list items checked off during that trip!  

• Like 3

Glad you had a great trip and made it home safely.

I was going over Rabbit Ear Pass on Sept 8th, having just come across hiway 14 from Fort Collins! Absolutely beautiful area. 

I carried a spare fuel pump with me on my trip (5,500 miles over a month), along with the couple of tools necessary to change it out, if need be.  A lot of things could go wrong, but I figured if the fuel pump went out, its one problem I could easily fix anywhere, myself and it doesn't take up much storage space. 

If the points go out, I'll swap in the spare, replace the points when I get home and then still have a spare to carry with me.  My spare is a very clean, used pump purchased off of ebay for $30.  The same pump was used on other Yamaha Star models, so not hard to find used on ebay.

Hope you are back up and running soon!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, circa1968 said:

Glad you had a great trip and made it home safely.

I was going over Rabbit Ear Pass on Sept 8th, having just come across hiway 14 from Fort Collins! Absolutely beautiful area. 

I carried a spare fuel pump with me on my trip (5,500 miles over a month), along with the couple of tools necessary to change it out, if need be.  A lot of things could go wrong, but I figured if the fuel pump went out, its one problem I could easily fix anywhere, myself and it doesn't take up much storage space. 

If the points go out, I'll swap in the spare, replace the points when I get home and then still have a spare to carry with me.  My spare is a very clean, used pump purchased off of ebay for $30.  The same pump was used on other Yamaha Star models, so not hard to find used on ebay.

Hope you are back up and running soon!

I carry a spare pump as well, but haven't had any issues yet.   Without looking at it, are there any special tools needed for a roadside replacement?

27 minutes ago, uncledj said:

I carry a spare pump as well, but haven't had any issues yet.   Without looking at it, are there any special tools needed for a roadside replacement?

So, before my spring trip, I did a “practice” replacement to see what was needed.  Going from memory:

5mm Allen to remove the side covers

Phillips to remove the center cover

12mm socket to remove the pump

Plier/needle nose to loosen the hose clamps.  

I will take a look @ the exploded view deg later, to make sure I’m not forgetting anything, but it is not complicated at all. 

The worst part was dealing with the various wiring clamps/ties under the side cover.  That and that darn screw for the center cover which is always hard for me to get back into place. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

We broke down in the middle of Yellowstone, you  don't want to ever brake down in a national park. It cost us $800.00 to get towed to the east entrance and thats as far as the park tow service will take you. So we were stranded twice in one day. Called AAA to tow us to Cody about 42 miles. By the way, no cell service at the east gate area, had to use a pay phone because the jerks at the Resturant/ gift shop would not let us use thier phone. friendly bunch of people. AAA said they would pick up the bike but not us because of covid we could not ride in the truck. We got the trike and us back to Cody thanks to some very nice people who help us get back to cody to pick up my truck and trailer.

• 3 weeks later...