IGNORED

Carb sliders…is this normal? New to carbs sorry.

Pasta Burner

I think this is what is referred to as the carb slider.  Black plastic tube with diaphragm on one end and needle on the other.  Took them apart yesterday to do an inspection of the diaphragm and clean.  Noticed both right side had cracks that almost looked like they were glued back together.  Is this normal or should they be replaced?

325358DA-A1F0-4E02-BCC4-8628E7E90D63.jpeg

E91E17B1-3656-4364-988A-D25251BB55CE.jpeg

Yup they are junk!

I will second Carl's suggestion to check out the source he posted a link to for the diaphragms. I have purchased from them on several occasions and am currently running their diaphragms in my present bike.

another popular source is https://www.siriusconinc.com/search_result.php?search=search&make=2&model=xvz1300&part=1&partno=&x=36&y=11

The only thing is I believe they do not supply the slider but if you can come up with some good used sliders and need diaphragms these are good sources.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pasta Burner said:

Thanks for the info.  Just got back from a 230 mile ride. Bike ran great other than poor fuel mileage still.  The top end performance was there after I corrected the oil level.

Well them dar sliders are just not going to be able to help much in the mileage department, first of they won't slide as they should, if at all, and secondly with the cracks in place they will also accommodate much air movement in the wrong direction.

Lanbao Membrane Diaphragm Carburetor Vacuum Piston For Yamaha XVZ1300 Venture Royale 1986-1993 1FK-14940-00-00 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RSXP977/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_45YW9TFK0BCYADYWKEE8

I found this but can’t verify where it’s made yet.  Ugh why can’t China just make quality.  I’m guessing if it’s too good it isn’t worth the waste of time.

is this a fair price from partzilla?

https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/1FK-14940-09-00?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1dGJBhD4ARIsANb6Odkwm44VAhqt9nTDMc3WCYEIglFeFK4i-MOe6iIW-c7gBYRGqdvkTeMaArRvEALw_wcB

this hobby is getting expensive, but if it’ll save on fuel it’ll be worth it.  Burned a half tank on a 50 mile stretch between Evanston WY and Layton Ut

Edited by Pasta Burner
Added thoughts

Not to disrupt this thread with a shameless plug, but I can offer the Genuine Yamaha Slider Assy. (P/N 1FK-14940-09-00 ) for $125.00 USD each for the forum members if that would solve the issue of wondering if the sliders are from China or not! This is my cost on them, I normally charge $150.00 each here at the shop. There would also be a small shipping charge added to the cost.

Hey Tom,

Because those sliders were poorly glued back together, they are heavier than they should be and obviously misaligned due to the poor glue job which is evident by the scratch marks on the outside diameter of the slider. If you would really like to bump up the mileage, get my Needle Shim Kit I offer and install it while you are replacing the sliders.  If I can help you with either of these parts, just let me know. I know this seems like a major investment in a bike that is over 30 years old, but believe me when I say that when these bikes have a properly functioning set of Carbs. they are a joy to ride. I would also like to add that we as men rarely spend money on ourselves! (At least I don't) BUT every now and then I truly believe that I am worth the money I spend that brings me pleasure. Even my wife agrees with me on this. So I ask you Tom, "Aren't you worth it buddy"? I think you are, and I am sure others here think you are as well. Look at it like an early Christmas present. Even if you decide to buy your sliders from another source, That's OK with me. Just don't cheat yourself out of the fun you will have if your bike is running properly, that's the point I am trying to make here.

Earl

• Like 6

PB, Earl ain't wrong here. Fix these carbs right, and you will be very pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

You might be able to save a few $ with aftermarket parts from the linked suppliers, and if you are comfortable with the work involved, I am sure they are high quality. But, factory, drop in replacements at the price Earl is offering would be hard to beat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@skydoc_17 I think I’m going to take you up on this offer.  You mentioned needle shim kit…procedure for removing and installing the needle was going to be my next question(haven’t looked at the manual yet, just waking up, if it’s in there just say so).  But if your kit is different I’m sure you’ll have all the info I need.

Also @saddlebum reminded me to ask another question about C or E clips that hold the linkage rods in place throughout the carb assembly.  The diagrams don’t list it as even existing, I spent an hour at my Yamaha dealer on Saturday scouring their computers and parts room and came up with neither a number or a part that fit. I currently have a couple strategically placed alligator clips holding it together. FYI I didn’t loose the clips, they were missing from the get go.

2 hours ago, Pasta Burner said:

@skydoc_17 I think I’m going to take you up on this offer.  You mentioned needle shim kit…procedure for removing and installing the needle was going to be my next question(haven’t looked at the manual yet, just waking up, if it’s in there just say so).  But if your kit is different I’m sure you’ll have all the info I need.

Also @saddlebum reminded me to ask another question about C or E clips that hold the linkage rods in place throughout the carb assembly.  The diagrams don’t list it as even existing, I spent an hour at my Yamaha dealer on Saturday scouring their computers and parts room and came up with neither a number or a part that fit. I currently have a couple strategically placed alligator clips holding it together. FYI I didn’t loose the clips, they were missing from the get go.

Find a hobby shop that caters to RC planes and cars. They always have an assortment of small retaining clips.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, luvmy40 said:

Find a hobby shop that caters to RC planes and cars. They always have an assortment of small retaining clips.

Thanks!  I happen to be quite skilled in crashing my RC plane, I know a few shops in the area.  One of which is also my local gun shop and pellet smoker dealer.

On 9/6/2021 at 10:40 AM, Pasta Burner said:

Most hardware, automotive or farmers hardware suppliers have assortment bins from which you should be able to find what you need.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 9:40 AM, Pasta Burner said:

I keep a box of these around from Harbor Freight  

D5E92E8E-A190-4E96-8A16-EE73A0E89ECC.jpeg

Edited by RDawson
  • Thanks 2