IGNORED

Got my gas cap off!

YoungWayne

After having the gas cap stuck since I first got the bike, I was able to get the cap off! With the help of a pipe wrench, pry bars, and plenty of cuss words we were able to rip the cap off. Sadly, one of my keys (the uglier one) was bent in the process, but his sacrifice will be remembered forever in this thread. Now I can buy a battery and put gas in the tank so I can try to fire her up. Actually my key is only turning to ACC, and not all the way to ON so I'll have to figure that out once I get the battery on there. I'll be looking for a new gas cap and a replacement key, and thank you to plenty of people who have been major help throughout the process, I could not have done it without you!

IMG_20210902_200249.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/2/2021 at 11:12 PM, YoungWayne said:

After having the gas cap stuck since I first got the bike, I was able to get the cap off! With the help of a pipe wrench, pry bars, and plenty of cuss words we were able to rip the cap off. Sadly, one of my keys (the uglier one) was bent in the process, but his sacrifice will be remembered forever in this thread. Now I can buy a battery and put gas in the tank so I can try to fire her up. Actually my key is only turning to ACC, and not all the way to ON so I'll have to figure that out once I get the battery on there. I'll be looking for a new gas cap and a replacement key, and thank you to plenty of people who have been major help throughout the process, I could not have done it without you!

IMG_20210902_200249.jpg

Pinch the key in a vise with some flat bar on both sides to avoid vise jaw marks and you might salvage it and soak the lock in penetrating oil for a few days.

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2021 at 5:52 PM, Tysons87venture said:

Did you try spraying some wd40 in where you put your key? Might just be seized up from sitting so long hope you can get it to turn over

I tried spraying down into the lock and pretty much everywhere else outside. The locking mechanism was stuck from a bunch of build up, but I cleaned it up and it's actually working now.

On 9/5/2021 at 6:49 AM, saddlebum said:

Pinch the key in a vise with some flat bar on both sides to avoid vise jaw marks and you might salvage it and soak the lock in penetrating oil for a few days.

I'll try that thanks!