IGNORED

Am I the only one having radio issues?

uncledj

Haven't seen it discussed for a while, but radio on my 06 keeps cutting out.   In the past I've replaced the head unit and the handlebar control, with no success....checked out all the wiring / plug connections....did the dielectric grease thing on the plugs.

I believe it's the handlebar mount controller....seems like a rheostat for the volume knob is dirty or failing.

Seems like if I can find the sweet spot, or hold inward pressure on the knob the stereo continues to play, but left to it's own devices, the volume cuts in and out.

I've pretty much gotten used to it and don't use the on board radio anymore, but it bugs me that it's a problem.

eric cartman chef GIF by South Park

Is it cutting out completely or just going up and down in volume? Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity of the level increase setting? Not sure what the manual calls it, but the setting that increases the volume in relation to ambient noise.

I think you're thinking of the speed sensitive adjustment.   Volume drops when speed drops.   In my case it cuts out completely...generally cuts in / out / in / out...sometimes stays out for a few seconds...sometimes stays in for a few minutes.   Might get a bit worse after a bit of play time.

To be clear...it's only the sound that cuts out.   The system seems to keep playing...display stays on...

I've had this bike for nearly 10 years and have always had issues with the radio.

Like I said,....I've pretty much given up on it, but was playing with it on a recent ride.

Edited by uncledj

Yup.   It was a couple of years ago that I got into this issue, and I pulled the plugs and checked for oxidation or any sign of poor connection, but found none.   I coated the plugs with dielectric grease and put 'em back together.

It doesn't seem like working the knob on the controller would clear it up if it was a bad wiring connection.

Pretty much everything under the fairing was pretty pristine looking.

Did you check the squelch on the cb? If the cb is on, the squelch setting will mute the radio if a strong cb signal comes through.

Mentioning cause I learned this myself years back. Had me going for a while. 

But since you've had the scoot for years, I doubt that ...but wanted to mention just in case! 😁

• Like 1

22 hours ago, videoarizona said:

Did you check the squelch on the cb? If the cb is on, the squelch setting will mute the radio if a strong cb signal comes through.

Mentioning cause I learned this myself years back. Had me going for a while. 

But since you've had the scoot for years, I doubt that ...but wanted to mention just in case! 😁

Or -- if the squelch is turned all the way down the slightest CB signal even if it is only a silent carrier wave will cause the radio to cut out since CB takes priority The higher you set your squelch the stronger the CB signal needs to be to over ride your radio or just turn the CB off.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice.

Will definitely look into the CB / Squelch question.    Never used the CB and probably never will.

And I do have a 1st gen as well.   Been sitting for 4 or 5 years.    Will pull it out of the shed and into the workshop this Winter to go over it.    LOVE the first gen for most rides, but if I'm going long distance, it can't compare to the comfort of the second gen.  Second gen has nowhere near the performance, but has more cushy for the tushy.:cool10:

Edited by uncledj

10 hours ago, uncledj said:

Thanks for the advice.

Will definitely look into the CB / Squelch question.    Never used the CB and probably never will.

And I do have a 1st gen as well.   Been sitting for 4 or 5 years.    Will pull it out of the shed and into the workshop this Winter to go over it.    LOVE the first gen for most rides, but if I'm going long distance, it can't compare to the comfort of the second gen.  Second gen has nowhere near the performance, but has more cushy for the tushy.:cool10:

:fiddle:........:duck:

• Haha 1