IGNORED

New to me 06 RSV w 75K, Ohio to Seattle

My good buddy Frank passed away this past March after getting more time than his doctors thought he would.  In my last conversation with him he told me he wanted to give me his 2006 Royal Star Venture with 75K miles on the clock-

The bike was sitting in his garage for most of a couple of years as he faded, and frankly, he wasn't ever the most diligent maintainer due to his inclination (he was known as the bungee cord king) and finances.  I'm planning on flying out to Ohio and jumping right on the bike to bring it home to Seattle in a 4 day ride.  I've had it towed to a shop that's a bit more dirt bike/sport bike oriented (28 Motorsports in Columbus), but the owner seems to be on the ball and competent.  He knows that I want it to be a safe ride and I've told him I'm willing to pay for safety and convenience.

Wanted to see if anybody on the forum had any suggestions for things I should pay particular attention to in getting this bike prepped for a 2500+ mile ride- I know it needs tires, oil, brakes, vacuum seals, but curious if I should look at and suggest preventive maintenance or checks on anything else.  Hoping to reduce the chance of missing something and ending up in a uhaul instead of riding, or worse.  Also, can I assume that 75K on the clock is not a deal breaker to keep this thing going strong for some years to come, provided I maintain it properly?

First time posting here, excited to join the community after lurking for a bit trying to get a feel for this bike.  I've been happy on my 1995 Harley Dyna for the last 15 years, and generally keep my bikes forever.  I'm excited to give this bike a try on a long cruise- I figure the cross country ride will help me decide if it's a good bike for me long term, but want to make sure I make it across successfully whether or not I keep it forever.  

thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions and hope to meet some of you on the road some day

• Like 1

I'm sure they will change the gear oil in the rear while they are at it.  Inspect the rear shock for leakage.  They don't last the life of the bike.  Inspect the fork seals of course.  Sitting that long might have caused some issues with the carbs.  I'd dump a can of seafoam or Gumout with PEA in the gas to spruce up the carbs and hope they don't need removal and cleaning.  There should be lots and lots of miles left in it with only 75k on it.  

Edited by BlueSky

Change all the brake fluid out, front and rear brakes and the clutch. Depending on how old the battery is, $120 is cheap insurance to make sure it will start consistently. 75k isn't nothing for these bikes, I have 120k on mine with no major issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Tires, fluids, plugs and some Seafoam in gas. Regular gas is fine. Fuel filter(it's in a bad place... Move to right behind tank, under seat.)

Fuel pump points. Or another pump. The points go bad with time and mileage. If yours look good then 👌

Pack for roadside repairs... Your know the stuff.

Buy a hand air pump unless you already have one for your HD.

Set air in shocks to about 5lbs up front and 25 in rear. 

Then ride it. Find the compromise between a nice ride with no shock bottoming out in rear. 

Yes, she's a heavy scoot.... But low end handling is good, high speed stability is solid.... You will just need to sort her out.

On the road, I run 38lbs in front, 40 in rear. That seemed the best for my load....

BUT, remember you aren't on the Dyna...no short shifting...let her rev. As you become used to the bike, let her rev more and enjoy. Under 70, stay in 4th gear.... Won't hurt a thing. Mpgs should be around 36 to 38. Much less indicates running to low rpm(bogging down), carbs out of sync or vacuum leak, Dirty carbs. Run more Seafoam!

Regarding cross country.... I've made a couple of serious cross country rides and have to say, the RSV was by far the most comfortable. Getting off on the 2 lanes and cruising at 65 was a pleasure. 

Wishing you a great ride!

20180604_085540.jpg

Edited by videoarizona
Add
  • Like 1

thanks for all the suggestions and help from the forum, the bike is just about ready for me to pick up next week with new tires, brakes, battery, carbs cleaned and synced, fluids replaced and tested out by the awesome shop I found- Ryan at the shop is going to have his first baby just before I get there to pick up my new baby-  then it's off to Bloomington IN for first night with some friends, on to Sioux City IA, Sturgis SD, Missoula MT, Spokane WA and Seattle- going to try and get off the interstate where I can, maybe in the Cheyenne or Bighorn, maybe Lolo if the weather is good and I have enough time- will post some pics from the road, here's Frank and his bike last time I rode with him a few years back148259963_FrankThumbsUp.thumb.jpg.2537a449cd8938a2a7a10b5e8d37f66a.jpg

• Like 2

• 7 months later...