IGNORED

Is this how I drain my oil?

The manual doesn't make it clear, and I tried using a wrench to take it off, but it wouldn't budge. It also looks like I could use a screw to undo it? I also have the oil filter housing pictured, the big silver thing at the top of the picture. Just wondering if that's how I drain the oil, I sprayed it with some penetrating lubricant hopefully it will come off.

IMG_20210817_121000__01.jpg

There is also a screw at the bottom of the middle gear cover with a copper washer on it that will allow you to drain almost an extra 1/4 cup of oil if you remove it with the bike on the side stand.

With regards to the main plug. try giving it a few solid raps  up against the case  with a hammer. This often helps to break it loose. Just don't drive right up through the case.

• Thanks 1

Because I have the "Luxury" of putting all of the bikes I work on, on a lift I can easily use a hand held "Impact Driver". This is the perfect place to use one. The Oil Filter Cover is another one. I don't usually sing the praises of Harbor Freight Tools, but you can pick up a hand held Impact Driver there for under $10.00. This is an excellent investment for anyone that has a motorcycle! It comes with an adapter that holds a Phillips and Flat Blade Screwdriver tips, and if you remove the adapter, you can put a 3/8 drive socket on it as well. Do yourself a favor and pick up one of these handy devices because "Plan B" is you wring off the bolt, and have to remove the oil pan to get the bolt out!

Earl

IMPACT DRIVER.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, skydoc_17 said:

Because I have the "Luxury" of putting all of the bikes I work on, on a lift I can easily use a hand held "Impact Driver". This is the perfect place to use one. The Oil Filter Cover is another one. I don't usually sing the praises of Harbor Freight Tools, but you can pick up a hand held Impact Driver there for under $10.00. This is an excellent investment for anyone that has a motorcycle! It comes with an adapter that holds a Phillips and Flat Blade Screwdriver tips, and if you remove the adapter, you can put a 3/8 drive socket on it as well. Do yourself a favor and pick up one of these handy devices because "Plan B" is you wring off the bolt, and have to remove the oil pan to get the bolt out!

Earl

IMPACT DRIVER.jpg

Thank you everyone, and I might have to check that out it looks like something I could use a lot

1 hour ago, Squidley said:

Yep, you already have them off and they look in rough shape.

Thank you!

They're not sticking to the cover, will the new ones stick or should I use some RTV or other type of adhesive?

Someone else in an older thread also recommended to change the breather hose when everything is off like I have it, is that something y'all recommend? 

Edited by YoungWayne

Hey Wayne,

This doesn't work as well if you are in a "Rush" to get it done, but if you have the time, Clean the Valve Covers well, put a light coat of the blue RTV in the groove of the Valve Cover. Install the Gasket, then flip the Valve Cover over on a flat surface, (Table Top, piece of glass, etc.) and place a pretty good sized book on top of the Valve Cover and let it sit overnight. Because these covers are a bear to reinstall, I like knowing that the gasket is going to stay put while I fight the covers back on. Here's another tip, The Second Gen. Valve Cover Gaskets will fit the First Gen, Valve Covers! They are wider, and have a Horizontal Rib that makes them a better Valve Cover Gasket in my opinion. When installed, there will be a bit of rubber gasket sticking out from the Valve Cover/Cylinder Head Joint. If this bothers you Wayne, just trim it off with a razor blade. I don't use the First Gen. Valve Cover Gaskets on either of my Ventures any more. The Second Gen. ones seem to last much longer, and are easier to install. This is just my opinion Wayne.  

Good luck with this project!

Earl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, YoungWayne said:

Thank you!

They're not sticking to the cover, will the new ones stick or should I use some RTV or other type of adhesive?

Someone else in an older thread also recommended to change the breather hose when everything is off like I have it, is that something y'all recommend? 

Use what Skydoc mentioned in his post. Works very well and thats how have installed the majority of the ones I've installed over the years.

• Thanks 1

The impact tool Skydoc mentions is a very useful tool to have on hand not just for the drain plug. I have one in my box at work, one in my mobile tool box and 2 in my home garage tool box. The second one of the two at home I welded on to it the handle I cut from a worn out adjustable wrench. It keeps it from twisting in my hand when I use it with a heavy mallet to break loose heavy bolts up to 5/8 " and have broken loose bolts a breaker bar would not budge.

When putting the valve covers back on 1st check to be sure none of the rubber plugs that sit on top of the cams came out while removing the valve covers and be careful not to do the same as you put the valve covers back in place. I once discovered one in the bottom of an engine while replacing the clutch. Oil pressure can escape through the holes these plugs fill and they are held in place by little nubs molded into the underside of the valve cover.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, skydoc_17 said:

Hey Wayne,

This doesn't work as well if you are in a "Rush" to get it done, but if you have the time, Clean the Valve Covers well, put a light coat of the blue RTV in the groove of the Valve Cover. Install the Gasket, then flip the Valve Cover over on a flat surface, (Table Top, piece of glass, etc.) and place a pretty good sized book on top of the Valve Cover and let it sit overnight. Because these covers are a bear to reinstall, I like knowing that the gasket is going to stay put while I fight the covers back on. Here's another tip, The Second Gen. Valve Cover Gaskets will fit the First Gen, Valve Covers! They are wider, and have a Horizontal Rib that makes them a better Valve Cover Gasket in my opinion. When installed, there will be a bit of rubber gasket sticking out from the Valve Cover/Cylinder Head Joint. If this bothers you Wayne, just trim it off with a razor blade. I don't use the First Gen. Valve Cover Gaskets on either of my Ventures any more. The Second Gen. ones seem to last much longer, and are easier to install. This is just my opinion Wayne.  

Good luck with this project!

Earl

Thank you, I already purchased two gaskets for $22 a piece on ebay,  I had heard about the second gen being a better fit, but I wasn't sure what second gen was, are those newer than '93? 

I'll try out what you said with the book, it was a pain just trying to get it in place with the gaskets coming off, especially since there was a hose blocking the way of the front one.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, YoungWayne said:

I had heard about the second gen being a better fit, but I wasn't sure what second gen was, are those newer than '93? 

The 2nd Gen Ventures are generally considered to be the '99 to 2014 Royal Star Ventures or RSV's as we call them here on the site. There was a design predecessor that started in 1996, but those were not designated as the Venture. They had the same basic engine design, but not everything was a direct fit to the later RSV's. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 6:09 AM, luvmy40 said:

https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/4NK-11193-00-00?ref=b26513a930b3340d399e16ee6caeef1479c21bb0

The above link is to OEM Yamaha, Gen 2 valve cover gaskets.

Hopefully the ones you ordered are not chinese made. If so, they WILL leak. Ask me how I know.

Something tells me that they are.... Maybe I should just return them right away. Any way to tell if they're good quality before I install them? Probably difficult to figure out