IGNORED

Garage Floor Tiles

djh3

So was thinking about doing a garage floor in epoxy. The more I got to researching the DIY stuff is marginal at best and professional is spendy. So an option could be these snap together tiles like GarageTrac Diamond, Durable Interlocking Modular Garage Flooring Tile. Has anyone used these and how do the last? Does a jack hurt them? 

On 8/17/2021 at 9:44 PM, djh3 said:

So was thinking about doing a garage floor in epoxy. The more I got to researching the DIY stuff is marginal at best and professional is spendy. So an option could be these snap together tiles like GarageTrac Diamond, Durable Interlocking Modular Garage Flooring Tile. Has anyone used these and how do the last? Does a jack hurt them? 

@djh3 I worked as a electrician at the Tupperware Company 1980 --1990 ....There was many a oil spill on the epoxy floor and  it cleaned up easily . I do not know how the tiles would do , but for me it would take a lot to something else than epoxy .. Oil has way of creeping into all spaces and cracks

• 1 month later...

@djh3 what did you decide to do?  Curious if you tried the tiles.  I’m in the process of remodeling the office area in my warehouse and got thrown a wrench when Base Civil Engineering caught wind we were planning on having carpeting installed.  For months I was ensured that laying carpet over asbestos is the preferred method even by the Base contracted carpet guy, then at near zero hour was informed otherwise and I’d need Commander approval and an abatement.  So now I’m looking for alternatives to cover the nasty existing tile.

Argh Man I feel for ya. I remember them days, ask CE all of what you think are right questions only to have a knuckle ball tossed at ya. No decision for me yet. Got some major out lays for fence and shed so I dont see tiles in my future. But There are some decent ones out there made by "the big guys" under different names. If your not doing 600sq ft or something it should work well. Easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

• Like 1

Forgiveness and playing dumb was the plan all along.  I wasn’t going through CE, and didn’t plan on involving or informing them of anything.  I contracted a private office furniture company.  Unfortunately somehow word got out and now the CE is aware I have to tread lightly.  I did find a company that makes custom fit area rugs, so that may be an option.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Gang,

Back a few years ago I faced this same decision of epoxy coating, or snap together tiles. After spending some substantial time doing research, I decided to lay snap together tiles.

There are two main players in the garage floor tile world: SwissTrax, and RaceDeck. I decided to go with RaceDeck because their pricing was considerably less than SwissTrax. NOTE: SwissTrax has an excellent floor layout design tool on their website. I used their design tool to configure my layout, but wound up buying RaceDeck.

I have never regretted going with the tiles over a floor coating. Very durable product, and withstands jacks, and jack stands excellently. As far as oil spills, I did have a substantial spill when I accidently dropped a drain pan full of oil on the floor. It was a large spill. I cleaned up the spill with oil dry, and Oil Eater. The tiles looked great afterwards. I suppose there was some oil that might've seeped into the seams between the tiles, but it never left an odor, or showed up later.

Either option is costly (coating or tiles). But, the tiles give you the potential to make some cool designs. 

We sold that house a couple years ago, and have since moved about 40 miles down the way to a new house. I am already starting to plan for installing tiles in the garage of this new house.

Big Lenny

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1