IGNORED

1989 Yamaha Venture Royale XVZ1300

I don't think anyone sells a complete carb rebuild kit.  I bought new needles and seats and idle jet screws and parts on ebay that were K&L made in Japan for my Kawasaki.  I would make sure any parts I bought were made in Japan.  I usually buy the factory parts from partzilla or boats.net which is the same company.  

Here is a place to get some carb parts..  https://www.siriusconinc.com/search_result.php?make=2&model=Venture Royale&part=All&partno=&x=56&y=16&search=search&start=0

They are the new rubber plugs for the jet block, they have some partial carb kits, as well as the SLIDE DIAPHRAGMS.

There is a place in the Netherlands, https://www.carburettorshop.com/contents/en-us/d380_Mikuni_BDS_carburetor_parts_and_rebuild_kits.html

They also have service kits for the carbs.

Some of the parts you will need to go to Yamaha to order. You will not be able to get a new needle set as it has been discontinued from Yamaha.

What ever you do, stay away from anything that is made in China. You cant trust what you will get from them and if it will fit. If the price is way too good, then run as it will do nothing but cause you issues in the future.

Also check some of the items in the Tech Library and you might find information there on working on these carbs.

Hope this helps you out.

Rick F.

Edited by cimmer

Hey Joe,

Welcome to the forum! now let's get to it! I posted this several years ago for another forum member that had a problem similar to yours Joe, I hope this works for you.

Cleaning First Gen. Carbs. On The Bike

I use this cleaning method to unstick a float needle that is causing the gas tank to drain when the bike is parked, or for a Carb. That is passing raw gas out of the overflow tube when the bike is running. This on bike cleaning DOES NOT address the issue of a Carb. Set needing a complete rebuild, (off the bike) and does not address the issue of AIR PASSAGES being blocked, and causing poor performance. These two issues require the Carbs. be removed from the bike.

With the bike on the center stand, and the engine off, I select the first Carb. I want to clean. You will be looking for the Black Plastic Carb. Drain Tube, and the screw that opens that drain. (Phillips Head Screw) You will need a small coffee can, or a coke can with the top cut off, (NO plastic containers) to catch the gas that will come out when you open the drain screw. Allow all of the gas to drain from the Carb. and have a look in the can for “floaters”. (Solid particles) With a new can of Carb. Cleaner, insert the red straw in the end of the drain tube. I wrap the junction of the red straw, and the drain tube with a small piece of shop towel to slow the blow by. Press the button on the top of the can of Carb. Cleaner, and count to 3. Remove the red straw and let the cleaner fluid run into the coffee can. Move to the next Carb. and repeat. When you do Carb. #4, start over again, and do them again. I use up one can of Carb. Cleaner on the four Carbs. When the can of Carb. Cleaner is gone, retighten all four drain tube screws,

(CAUTION DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE DRAIN SCREWS) Turn on the ignition switch, (do not start bike) listen for the fuel pump to fill the Carb. Bowles and stop pumping, check the drain tubes and the overflow tubes (down in front of rear tire) for fuel leakage, move the can with the Carb. Cleaner/Gas mixture away from the bike, (or better yet, roll the bike out of the garage) and start the bike. (It may take a few short bursts on the starter motor, and you may need to choke it as well) Go for a ride and “blow the cobwebs out” (my personal FAV part) if this doesn’t solve your problem, then a “Carbs. Off Rebuild” may be in order. On a side note, I run 3 ounces of Seafoam in every tank of gas I put in my 87’and 89’VR because of the negative effects of the Ethanol in the fuel these days. Because of my shop here in South Central PA. I buy OEM parts direct from Yamaha, and share my discount with the VR.ORG members. It would be my pleasure to help you with any project you have in mind for your First Gen. VR.

Earl (skydoc_17)

• Like 1