IGNORED

Air flow

Bondoman

I too had this problem last year when I purchased my 2007 with 21k miles.  I could not ride for more than 15-20 minutes without getting unbelievably hot.  PO had put a chrome cover over the radiator, took that off - no help.   Changed the coolant - no help.  Changed the thermostat (major PITA) - no help.  In the end, it was gunked up carbs causing a lean running condition, which caused it to run hot.  When I bought the bike, it had the freer flowing K&N air filters, which probably added to the lean running condition a bit too.

I had the carbs rebuilt by member eusa1and replaced the air filters with stock.

If you have access to a shop that has an exhaust gas analyzer, they could tell you if you are running lean.  There is a port on each exhaust pipe for this purpose.  I was thinking about having that done, but once I took the carbs off and saw how gunked up the float bowls were, it just made sense to have them rebuilt, which solved my heat problem.

Removing those lowers is a fairly major ordeal.  I don't think I've actually seen it done.  There are a lot of electrical components inside the lowers.  On the left side you have the cruise control assemblies and on the right side a fuse box and etc.  I would be hard to find a new place for all the things you would have to move. I've owned a lot of bikes and the Venture runs about as cool as any for a bike this size.  The new Venture Transcontinental, the Harley, and the Indian all run MUCH hotter.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. I took the cowling off, and it's an electrical plate of spaghetti under them, not gonna work. The carbs were rebuilt just before I bought the bike, but I can't be sure if they are to lean without an exhaust analysis, I'll try to find a dealer with the proper equipment to do that. I was wondering also about the deflectors that I've seen on some rad cowls, are the to deflect air inward or outward, and where can they be found ?

On 8/7/2021 at 12:21 PM, Bondoman said:

Thanks for the input. I took the cowling off, and it's an electrical plate of spaghetti under them, not gonna work. The carbs were rebuilt just before I bought the bike, but I can't be sure if they are to lean without an exhaust analysis, I'll try to find a dealer with the proper equipment to do that. I was wondering also about the deflectors that I've seen on some rad cowls, are the to deflect air inward or outward, and where can they be found ?

On 8/7/2021 at 12:21 PM, Bondoman said:

try mike eykamp, he salvages royal stars and is a good source of used and new parts.