IGNORED

Front right brake leaking

So I’ve been out of town for a few weeks on business, got home the other day and decided in the shitty weather it would be a good day to finally install my low profile lighting above where the garage door folds up.  Moved the VR out of the way and noticed a damp spot under the front tire.  Upon initial inspection I see it’s dripping from the clamp that holds the line to the anti dive at the fork, so it doesn’t appear to be a caliper issue. I haven’t pulled anything apart yet, just asking where I should start.  I’ve gotta get the chrome bits off to get in there…really thinking about dumping the chrome.  Also plan on an R6 upgrade with @skydoc_17 but just want to get her back on the road through the summer and fall.

OR am I leaking fork fluid? I recently put progressive springs in.  And what’s interesting is I can see the wet spot on the wheel but the fluid isn’t stripping the paint…so maybe it isn’t brake fluid?

Edited by Pasta Burner

Hey Tom,

Before you go tearing everything apart, I would try the old 35mm film trick! In the "Old Days" you could get a piece of 35mm camera film and slide it in the lip of the fork seal. Run it around the the fork tube once or twice, and it would reseat the seal lip and clean out any foreign particles trapped under the seal lip. Since 35mm film is pretty much a thing of the past, I use .005" S.S. Shim Stock.

If you can't find any shim stock, PM me your address, and I will send you a piece to try out. This is a much easier fix than replacing the fork seals, or the O'Rings on the anti-dive unit. 

Let me know if I can help!

Earl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, saddlebum said:

On another note if your not sure if it is brake fluid or fork oil just smell it they smell totally different or rub a little on the back of your hand brake fluid has a weird warmish feel on the skin. were fork oil just feels like oil.

Brake fluid will mix with water, fork oil won't do that that so easy. Use no soap.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Marcarl said:

Brake fluid will mix with water, fork oil won't do that that so easy. Use no soap.

That takes all the fun out of it. Plus those of us who don't have running water in our garages got save what water we have to rinse off any brake fluid we may spill on the bike. :doh:

• Haha 1

Thanks all for the Info and tips.  I had been noticing wet dirt lines on the forks since I put in the progressive springs and oil but didn’t know that wasn’t normal.  I used a piece of two liter soda bottle to clean inside the seals, so far so good.  We’ll see after a ride.