IGNORED

remove pinstripping

steamer

This is true, we use easy off oven cleaner to remove pin stripping and painted lettering from all the used trucks we take in as trade in's. You do run into the odd stubborn one but most pin stripping is done with lettering paint. The paint used by he who I cannot remember his name, is such a paint and should come off easily.

Once you remove the lettering, wash with soap and rinse well. When dry you can buff the paint with a very mild abrasive liquid polishing compound and than polish with a good wax. if your lucky and there is absolutely no shadow left, you may be able to go straight to the wax.

Edited by saddlebum

1 hour ago, steamer said:

memory not what it use to be, I believe the person who did the pin stripe work said it would come off with laquer thinner. not sure about this.

This is true but a lot of paints can be removed with lacquer thinner. the trouble is you have to be careful  what type of finish is on the bike. Lacquer thinner can dissolve some paints or clear coats. As the fabric cleaning products always say "try in a inconspicuous area first"

Edited by saddlebum

I used oven cleaner to "erase" my ex-wife's name off the back of my trunk.  Spray it on, wait a minute or two....then wipe it off.  The pinstripe paint comes off clean with no damage to the plastic or the paint/finish.

I've also used oven cleaner to remove permanent marker off a painted wall.

8 hours ago, larrydr said:

I have removed some unwanted stuff off my painted surfaces by sanding with 600 grit sand paper , 1200 grit , 2000 grit ....

Then use a quality brand of polish  , this includes pain runs and orange peal

True this is effective and the sanding should always be done with wet sand paper. But for most sign paint lettering it is not necessary. Easy off oven cleaner followed by polishing compound and then a good wax is all it should normally take.

Tthe exception to this is if someone clear coated over the lettering or used a more durable type paint. In those cases the above technique would have to be used. In some severe cases the clear coat may have to be touched up.

Edited by saddlebum