IGNORED

Smiles - It's all about the smiles

bpate4home

No kidding kids today are more sophisticated but in my mind  what they consider as fun does not even come close to the fun we had as kids in the 50's and 60's. When is the last time you saw a kid climb a tree grinning from ear to ear catch mice or frogs with their bare hands. or a group of kids get together and completely on their own organize an impromptu game of football, baseball, soccer or street hockey. wonder off into the bush and build forts. Someone once said I was happier being 20 in the sixties than sixty in the twenties.

I one time scampered up the face of a set of storage racks to toss down eight 11R-22 truck tires. the 30 year old on the ground stunned after saying it could not be done asked how is it a 65 year old guy like you can climb like that. My simple answer was I grew up climbing real trees not virtual trees.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 2

We have neighborhood kids that are outside a lot playing ball in the street. When it gets to hot they all hide inside.  We didn't care what the temperature was when I was kid in Northern Ohio, we were outside all the time. BTW I always did my homework during class and never took a book home until college just so I could be outside, working or riding.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bpate4home said:

We have neighborhood kids that are outside a lot playing ball in the street. When it gets to hot they all hide inside.  We didn't care what the temperature was when I was kid in Northern Ohio, we were outside all the time. BTW I always did my homework during class and never took a book home until college just so I could be outside, working or riding.

My mother had to practically rope and hog tie us then drag us in no matter the weather or time of day. today its all you can do to throw those kids out for even an hour.

• Like 2

If it got hot we stopped at the nearest house and drank from the hose. Nobody ran us off from that. Drank from the creeks too, no telling what was in that water. Maybe that’s why I have a strong immunity. 

Edited by RDawson
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, RDawson said:

If it got hot we stopped at the nearest house and drank from the hose. Nobody ran us off from that. Drank from the creeks too, no telling what was in that water. Maybe that’s why I have a strong immunity. 

or stunted growth :rotfl:

It's made you into who you are today, and I'll say no more,,,,,, at least for now anyways.

Its ok Carl go ahead and say it your far enough out of reach :duck:

Edited by saddlebum

3 hours ago, Marcarl said:

It's made you into who you are today, and I'll say no more,,,,,, at least for now anyways.

Well heck if that’s what made me maybe I need to bottle and sell it. Course since they raise cattle on that creek now I might need to go upstream a ways. 

2 minutes ago, RDawson said:

Well heck if that’s what made me maybe I need to bottle and sell it. Course since they raise cattle on that creek now I might need to go upstream a ways. 

Now don't you go putting a label on that bottle, it will for sure be misleading.

• 1 month later...

What a great childhood I was fortunate enough to have.   Lived in the suburbs of Y-town,  Public swimming pool, playground and a class B ballpark across the street.   My first job, at age 7 was chasing the foul balls that went backwards over the bleachers for $1.00 a night....That paid for entrance to the pool and gas in my mini-bike....30 acres of woods 2 blocks away that we'd all play in...friend and I would ride the mini-bikes there....  After school, and all Summer, parents wouldn't see us except for meals.   Great group of friends that I'm still close to today.   Went riding up to the cabin with a few of them a couple of weeks back.   You just can't replace old friends.   I can remember standing at their screen door and calling out their name to come out and play.   Did some informal baseball, football and basketball at the park, but was more interested in the woods and what dad was doing in the garage.

Parents took us to the cabin (Same place we just rode to,....same place...new cabin that my brother and I built with Dad in the early 90s)...went at least 3 times every Summer......and yes....I still drink from the stream behind the cabin.....

Thanks for helping me reminisce.   Good times.:cool10:

• Like 1