IGNORED

Leaking gas from the overflow

uncledj

Had the bike out only once briefly earlier this year.   2006 RSV.   I'll be taking it on a 1,000 mile trip next month with my friends so I figured I'd better go over it...change oil...clean air filters and such.   Started it up and have a pretty steady leak out of the overflow tube, behind the right lower fairing.   I can see the carbs on the left side of the bike have some wet spots on them as well.   

I put it away last Fall with 3/4 tank of gas....(ethanol)....and I can't imagine I'd have let it set without a good dose of Seafoam...but it's possible.

I dosed it up pretty good with Seafoam and let it run for about a half hour with no effect.

I will say I had a similar issue a few years ago, although not as bad, so I took it to "My Guy" who works on these old bikes and by the time I rode it to his shop, about a half hour away, it cleared itself up.   I'll see if I can get it back to him, but I'm wondering if it's just ethanol gunking up the carbs, and if it'll clear itself up again.

That's the last time I'm putting the old gal away without first filling up with ethanol free gas.   Anyhoo, I gotta get this cleared up before I head out with the guys.

Any thoughts?

Oil was at half sight glass when I changed it.   Didn't think I'd have an issue so I drained it into my oil change tank I use for the truck.    Why would I have gas in the oil anyway?....Washing down through the cylinders?   It seems to run ok.

Edited by uncledj

So...other than noticing the oil level rising, how do I know if that's happening.   I would think that could only happen while it's running...electric fuel pump and all.   If that is happening, wouldn't it run noticeably rich?

Edited by uncledj

10 hours ago, Squidley said:

You probably just had a stuck float and riding it jarred it around enough to clear itself up. Dump a can of seafoam or B12 Chemtool in the tank and go for a nice long ride where you use most the fuel in the tank up.

I agree with Brad it is not uncommon for these bikes to get a stuck float or needle. and have the gas over flow out the vents.

In many such cases the bike will leak gas out the vent while idling but stop when the engine runs at higher RPM. Then when you stop and idle at a traffic light for example the gas will start leaking out the overflow again until you get going.

One thing you can try which I have had success with is drain the suspect carb, disconnect the fuel inlet line at the suspect carb and connect the can directly to the carbs fuel inlet  and spray the carb leaner into the carb. I take the nozzle of the can and replace it with a length of small hose which I then hook to the carb. A small hose clamp or a washer that fits snug over the hose just above the nozzle and snug enough so it wont slide over the part of the hos stretched over the stem on the can will aid in depressing the stem to force the cleaner into the carb Make sure to leave the fuel bowl drain open so it can all flush out. Give it a good flush and the put it all back together. Seafoam may work for this but I prefer to use an actual can of carb cleaner which is more aggressive and  faster acting than seafoam for this sort of thing.

If this does not solve the problem than you may have to do a carb overhaul.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, saddlebum said:

I agree with Brad it is not uncommon for these bikes to get a stuck float or needle. and have the gas over flow out the vents.

In many such cases the bike will leak gas out the vent while idling but stop when the engine runs at higher RPM. Then when you stop and idle at a traffic light for example the gas will start leaking out the overflow again until you get going.

One thing you can try which I have had success with is drain the suspect carb, disconnect the fuel inlet line at the suspect carb and connect the can directly to the carbs fuel inlet  and spray the carb leaner into the carb. I take the nozzle of the can and replace it with a length of small hose which I then hook to the carb. A small hose clamp or a washer that fits snug over the hose just above the nozzle and snug enough so it wont slide over the part of the hos stretched over the stem on the can will aid in depressing the stem to force the cleaner into the carb Make sure to leave the fuel bowl drain open so it can all flush out. Give it a good flush and the put it all back together. Seafoam may work for this but I prefer to use an actual can of carb cleaner which is more aggressive and  faster acting than seafoam for this sort of thing.

If this does not solve the problem than you may have to do a carb overhaul.

I love all the knowledge & info you provide here Saddlebum.  For a newbie like me, its invaluable!  Having gone through a bunch of carb issues myself and knowing what's involved in actually getting to the carbs themselves (pulling the tank & airboxes @ a minimum), I was visualizing what you suggested and wondered if this would be an easier way:  Drain the float bowl, then refill it with carb cleaner via the drain itself (I use a section of 1/4" hose to drain, so use that as you described to inject the cleaner).  Then immediately close the drain screw and allow it to soak for a few mins.  After soaking, drain again, close the screw, run the fuel pump and drain again to flush.

Not sure how it will work to force feed cleaner up through the drain & could be messy, but I think I might try this if I ever have that stuck float issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, circa1968 said:

I love all the knowledge & info you provide here Saddlebum.  For a newbie like me, its invaluable!  Having gone through a bunch of carb issues myself and knowing what's involved in actually getting to the carbs themselves (pulling the tank & airboxes @ a minimum), I was visualizing what you suggested and wondered if this would be an easier way:  Drain the float bowl, then refill it with carb cleaner via the drain itself (I use a section of 1/4" hose to drain, so use that as you described to inject the cleaner).  Then immediately close the drain screw and allow it to soak for a few mins.  After soaking, drain again, close the screw, run the fuel pump and drain again to flush.

Not sure how it will work to force feed cleaner up through the drain & could be messy, but I think I might try this if I ever have that stuck float issue.

The reason I recommenced flushing through the fuel supply line and leaving the drain plug open rather than just back filling the float bowel  through the drain hole is so the flow pressure of the cleaner goes right through the needle and seat valve flushing out any debris that might be sitting in the needle and seat.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, saddlebum said:

The reason I recommenced flushing through the fuel supply line and leaving the drain plug open rather than just back filling the float bowel  through the drain hole is so the flow pressure of the cleaner goes right through the needle and seat valve flushing out any debris that might be sitting in the needle and seat.

Ah, that makes sense.  Thanks again!  Your knowledge, experience and expertise is so greatly appreciated!  I always learn something new from your posts.

Hot and humid today.   Came home and started working on the bike.  Drenched with sweat and swatting mosquitoes as I worked.....   Drained the gas from the tank, (Didn't look or smell bad).   Tucked a couple of rags on top of the crankcase, under the carbs and drained the gas out of the bowls.

Took some carb cleaner and blew it back through the overflow ? into the bowls?  and gave each carb a gentle tap on the bottom.   I figgered that since the floats weren't being held up by fuel, maybe such a tap would break the floats free.

Since I had the tank off, I pulled and checked the spark plugs.  All looked good, all were consistent with each other.   Probably 5k miles on the plugs.   No... I didn't replace them....

Put the tank back on.    Filled the tank with 5 gallons of ethanol free gas...$4.49 a gallon...and one can of Seafoam.   Fired it up and no more leaks.   It does sound like one of the cylinders on the right side where the leak was has an intermittent miss.   Goose the gas and let it off and there's a bit of a pop from that exhaust pipe.   Maybe the carbs need synced..dunno...   New air filters will be here Friday, so I'll put them in and ride it a bit.   If the miss doesn't clear up I may need to take it to "My Guy".

I think this old gal sits more than she should, but, being an HVAC service tech, I don't have the time I'd like to in the warm months to ride much.   Hopin' that will change when I retire.   Still 7 years or so from that though.

Thanks everyone, as always, for the advice.

Edited by uncledj
  • Thanks 1

Here again by shooting the carb cleaner back into the overflow you basically just cleaning the fuel bowl which is Ok but if you were to force it in through the carbs fuel inlet you would do a better job of flushing the needle and seat.

4 minutes ago, saddlebum said:

Here again by shooting the carb cleaner back into the overflow you basically just cleaning the fuel bowl which is Ok but if you were to force it in through the carbs fuel inlet you would do a better job of flushing the needle and seat.

Understood and agreed, but my big ham hands have trouble getting into small spaces, and time to work on it is limited, so I figured if I could just get the float unstuck, then I could see if ethanol free gas and a heavy dose of Seafoam will do the trick.  If it gets much more involved than that, it'll have to wait for mild weather (when I'm not so busy) or I'll take it to a local mechanic who I trust.

3 hours ago, uncledj said:

My brawlin' days are long gone.   Now, if confronted by someone who intends violence, I start crying and pee myself.   They generally leave me alone after that.:crying:

I am going to have to keep that in mind. I ain't getting any younger either...:crying:

Edited by saddlebum