IGNORED

2018 SVTC GPS

bpate4home

I know the GPS has been a pain point for a lot of us including myself. I was just able to get past the 5 waypoint issue with ease. Here the gist of my experience with the GPS and what I found last night. First, let me say that I have tried many different route-mapping tools over the years. I was excited to see the SVTC had a GPS when I bought the bike. I wasn't looking for that as I've ridden all 3 generations of the bike now, I just love the Venture line. When I found out that I could only have 5 waypoints etc etc, just like everyone else I was drastically disappointed.

I’ve used MyRouteApp many times in the past even with HERE Navigation on a Windows phone a long time ago. The last time I used the app was in 2020 and there was a 1.1 GPX format that would download all the waypoints and POIs into the GPS but the route would not come across. Frustrated I just continued to use google maps on my iPhone. Last night I purchased and downloaded the MRA app hoping to use that since I had already built the route. I was getting errors on my iPhone with it. Then, on the MyRouteApp site, I noticed a new 1.1 GPX format that listed the route, waypoints and POIs. Early Saturday morning before the ride I put this file on a thumb drive and uploaded it to the NAVI on the bike. Bing, Band Bob’s your uncle (yeah bad pun I know), there was everything. Heck yeah!

As we rode everything moved along perfectly. Even auto advancing as we passed waypoints. We even stopped for breakfast, waypoint 5. Came out fired up the bike and it picked up right where we were and continued on fine. That is until waypoint 14 of 20. There was a road closure and we ended up taking a different route around the closure. At this point, we did not go past waypoint 14 and the NAVI just got lost. It kept trying to loop me around and back track to the closed road. I switched back to google maps at this point.

Let me close with this though. Since I had not used the NAVI GPS before I have not looked into the use of it much. This was really a fly by the seat of my pants use today. Overall, I think it was a huge success compared to all of our previous results. The biggest take away though is use the file format GPX 1.1 with route, waypoints and POI. I know this busted the 5 waypoint limit but I don’t know what that ceiling would be now. Here is a link to the route we took this morning so you can see what I saw. 

https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/social/route/4951794...

On 7/29/2021 at 4:29 PM, bpate4home said:

I need t test that.  Since I really wasn't prepared for it to work so well after all the other issues I didn't know what to do if I could do anything.  Wasn't going to play with it while riding. 

Please let us know what you find.

My wife has hit you up for info in the venture/Eluder owner Facebook page.

I’d be interested to know what up.

Thanks

On 7/31/2021 at 11:47 PM, ChiefGunner said:

Thanks

Hey Chief,

Unfortunately I have not been able to look at this at all due to work and honey do lists. I will try to get out in the garage tonight after work to look at this. I'm also willing to jump online with you and your wife and and share my screens to I can show you what I've done with MyRouteApp's web site as well as the MRA mobile app.  The mobile app basically replaces a GPS system with your phone (not comparable to Google Maps although I like to having the bike's GPS and Google Maps / running).  If you download the maps for the US (about 5.2GB) you don't even need a cell connection. 

On 7/31/2021 at 11:47 PM, ChiefGunner said:

Thanks

Here's what I found last night. I was in the garage and I loaded a route and started playing around with the screen.  I went through every option and I couldn't find a way to remove the first way point so I just shut everything down. This morning I started on my way to work and the route popped right back up. Stopped for gas and started going through the screens. This time I went into the edit route option. Bottom of the screen when you open NAVI. I had a list of 'stuff'. It was basically the first 6 or 7 way points. From here you should just be able to delete the way point you want to skip.  It is not pressing one button like we would all like to see but I think this will work.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, bpate4home said:

@ChiefGunner Can you update us on your experience. 

No problem.

I was the ride coordinator for a recent forum rally here in Maggie Valley.

I used the MyRoute program and did each days ride with Route, Way points & POI and saved as a gpx1.1 file. Was able to let everyone have the same route whether it was their phone, Garmin, Goldwing or SVTC.

The first days ride had 11 way points with a stop for lunch. The SVTC nav performed FLAWLESSLY! It was exciting to actually have it work the way it was expected.  The second days route had 27 way points and did outstanding right up until point 14.  It was actually my fault because my way point wasn’t exact.  With the Venture nav, you have to make sure that the point you’re going to cross is exact. If not, it will take you in circles until you reach it.  I did however in the midst of “circles” find within the nav a place at the bottom which said “Edit Route”. Once I went in there STARTING AT THE BOTTOM I deleted way points until I got rid of the problem one and suddenly the nav system acted like nothing happened and show where to go for the next point.   The item that we have to figure out is WHY each of the way points have no info!  Even though it was there when creating the route, it doesn’t seem to show on our system. Once we figure out what our system is looking for as far as format or information then the sky is the limit!  You can have as many way points with stops as you want, and even delete way points (can do that now)on the fly.  Just need the way points info to show up so you know what you’re deleting.

The other days rides had anywhere from 8 way points as a straight out and back in the Cherohala Skyway and others which had 22 points.  In all other rides except that one day, the routes worked perfectly!

Edited by ChiefGunner
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChiefGunner said:

With the Venture nav, you have to make sure that the point you’re going to cross is exact. If not, it will take you in circles until you reach it.

Is this the Canadian version? I know of a guy up there that rides in circles and U turns. Come to think of it though he rides one of those three legged things, not a venture. 🤣🤣🤣

11 hours ago, RDawson said:

Is this the Canadian version? I know of a guy up there that rides in circles and U turns. Come to think of it though he rides one of those three legged things, not a venture. 🤣🤣🤣

Don't have ANY idea who you might be referring to, but I will check with @saddlebum later today to discuss what can be done about the nastiness coming from southern corners. I'm sure he will get back to you, so get ready to read, grab a beer, a foot long stogy, couple of hot dogs and a pillow.

1 hour ago, Marcarl said:

Don't have ANY idea who you might be referring to, but I will check with @saddlebum later today to discuss what can be done about the nastiness coming from southern corners. I'm sure he will get back to you, so get ready to read, grab a beer, a foot long stogy, couple of hot dogs and a pillow.

Seeing as how I will be spending some time this afternoon with " He who shall not be named ", I shall refrain from any further comment.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 9:07 PM, RDawson said:

No, @RDawsonit not. This is a 2018 SVTC here in NC.  Like I said, the “circles” was my fault in the route planning. I learned you need to be very specific on way point placement. Close enough doesn’t work.

The good thing is that it works!