IGNORED

Any guess on what is leaking

Not losing any brake / clutch fluid, seems like oil. Kinda hard to see above exhaust, hoping others have had similar drip and suggestions.  I know I need to start off with a good cleaning.  ps: it's a 83.

drip.JPG

Edited by SpencerPJ

To the left of the final drive is the neutral/gear switch. It has an orange O ring that can leak. To the left of that is the stator wires. Below the final drive is the tiny crush washer in the drive cover... On the bottom. It can leak if not replaced. But both of those are forward of where your leak appears. I'm assuming the leak was straight down.

To the right of the final drive is the output shaft. The rear shock is up in there as well but our shocks on the 1st Gens are not known to leak, if memory serves. 

That's about as far as I can go, Ronnie. 

Let us know what you find....

David

Thanks alot David, After another ride, and sitting a bit more level, it is forward a bit from my above picture.  My rear valve covers seem dry, It's been dripping a large drop after every ride for a few months now.  Oil level not noticeably down.  I really need to get some engine cleaner, purple stuff, and get the area clean.  It's really tough to see, even with mirrors, because the exhaust collector is in the way. Not to appear super stupid, but the cover you have off, isn't that the crankcase cover? Maybe I should start by ordering the gasket for that, it sure seems that opens up a lot more for viewing purposes.  ps: it's Paul, not Ronnie, lol.

Edited by SpencerPJ

22 minutes ago, bpate4home said:

On my Gen 2 I had an oil 'leak' or 'drop' issue in virtually the same location.  Finally tracked it down to the rear shock.  Replaced that and cleaned it up. No more drips. 

Did the shock hold air? Mine holds air, so not thinking it is the problem.  I will check though, thx

58 minutes ago, SpencerPJ said:

Did the shock hold air? Mine holds air, so not thinking it is the problem.  I will check though, thx

There was an air valve for the compression of the shock but the rubber boot for the lubricant was cracked. 

Sorry Paul... Old age and multiple posts obviously confused me...

Ok... If the leak is forward of the picture then there is the neutral/gear switch and it's orange O ring. The cover is what I call the final drive cover. It's where the engine drive is turned 90 degree to go to the output shaft. It has 2 leak areas... The main gasket and the crush water on the bottom screw. The crush water can be annealed and used again. 

Next to the neutral switch is the clutch slave cylinder. It can leak where it's mated to engine. And above that to the left are the 2 stator wires that come out of the stator case. They can seep. If they are seeping, then when you shut down motor they could drip off wires as well. 

BUT.... If any of the above were leaking, you would have a trail of oil underneath the left side of bike..... Covering parts of the left muffler, left saddlebag, kick stand and center stand areas. As they all would leak under pressure as well as when you lean bike over to left on kickstand.

All of the above leak areas can be accessed by taking off that one cover as I did in the picture I sent you. If the stator wires are the problem, then you will need the gasket for that cover to get to the wires, clean them and dry them up. 

Hope this helps...

Thanks very helpful :happy34:.  I do not get a trail of fluids, seems to only drip out when sitting.  Unless it gets worse, I'll probably save it as a winter project, right now a piece of cardboard keeps the oil off the garage floor, lol. I do plan to order that cover gasket first, it's a must see behind there.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a thorough cleaning, and think the fluid is coming off a rubber boot where the drive shaft mates to the engine.  I'm guessing there is a seal inside there.  It drips to a spot on the frame, pretty sneaky how it runs.  Anyways, how difficult of a job is it to fix?  I have never had the rear end off, or driveshaft out, I did change the diff fluid a few years back. 

18 hours ago, SpencerPJ said:

I've done a thorough cleaning, and think the fluid is coming off a rubber boot where the drive shaft mates to the engine.  I'm guessing there is a seal inside there.  It drips to a spot on the frame, pretty sneaky how it runs.  Anyways, how difficult of a job is it to fix?  I have never had the rear end off, or driveshaft out, I did change the diff fluid a few years back. 

It is not difficult but it is a bit time consuming and may be awkward if you working by yourself. Remove the tailpipes. Remove the back wheel. Remove the swing arm. Then separate The U Joint at the transmission and then remove the yolk from the output shaft then you have access to do what you need to do with the seal

Edited by saddlebum
  • Thanks 1

Seems I have narrowed it down to the middle gear driveshaft seal.  Sneaky how it drains down the frame.  2 cans of brake cleaner, then a good wash, surprising how well leaks show there starting point. I will post a new thread for advise on what I need to do with that.  Right now, I have a rear brake issue that is more pressing, lol.