IGNORED

Fuel leak update...The Verdict

After a few days and several hundred miles, The Toy looks like it's keeping the gas where it belongs.  I tried a bit more aggressive pulling on the brass fuel nipple at the petcock, and with the aid of a bright light and a pair of padded channel-locks I noticed a slight movement in the tube when I twisted it.  It came out with remarkably little effort.  The light pressure I was applying with just my fingers in earlier tests didn't show any movement, but with a good grip on the tube, it basically pulled right out.  Hats off to everyone who had suggested the fuel nipple as the culprit, and my apologies for not working that thru earlier.

Here's my "fix"... I scrubbed the brass tube with Scotchbrite to clean it up, likewise the socket on the petcock.  I applied a light smear of JB Weld to the tube and pushed/tapped it into place.  The JB Weld squeezed out around the barrel of the tube to form a seal. ( it looks like an O-ring around the base of the tube.)  Let it set overnight before attaching the fuel hose..using a single spring clamp (😉)..and hit the road. I checked it every time I stopped after short or long rides over the next few days, and as of this morning everything is still dry.

Thanks to all for weighing in, and I look forward to not talking about this again.

Cheers... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Papa Fred said:

After a few days and several hundred miles, The Toy looks like it's keeping the gas where it belongs.  I tried a bit more aggressive pulling on the brass fuel nipple at the petcock, and with the aid of a bright light and a pair of padded channel-locks I noticed a slight movement in the tube when I twisted it.  It came out with remarkably little effort.  The light pressure I was applying with just my fingers in earlier tests didn't show any movement, but with a good grip on the tube, it basically pulled right out.  Hats off to everyone who had suggested the fuel nipple as the culprit, and my apologies for not working that thru earlier.

Here's my "fix"... I scrubbed the brass tube with Scotchbrite to clean it up, likewise the socket on the petcock.  I applied a light smear of JB Weld to the tube and pushed/tapped it into place.  The JB Weld squeezed out around the barrel of the tube to form a seal. ( it looks like an O-ring around the base of the tube.)  Let it set overnight before attaching the fuel hose..using a single spring clamp (😉)..and hit the road. I checked it every time I stopped after short or long rides over the next few days, and as of this morning everything is still dry.

Thanks to all for weighing in, and I look forward to not talking about this again.

Cheers... 

There was gas in the tank, right? If so, you made a FIX,,, now onto something more interesting.