IGNORED

XVZ1200 cooling system flush

larrydr

I have been down this road many a time with automotive engine .....I have been warned not to use the regular cooling system flush as it may damage the XVZ1200 system .

i was thinking of using vinegar and water mixture  50/50 ....Anyone have the right answer .

I have been to find a thermostat here in Canada , that is near impossible

1 hour ago, larrydr said:

I have been down this road many a time with automotive engine .....I have been warned not to use the regular cooling system flush as it may damage the XVZ1200 system .

i was thinking of using vinegar and water mixture  50/50 ....Anyone have the right answer .

I don’t know the part number but there is a thermostat widely used in Japanese cars that fits 

1 hour ago, larrydr said:

13 minutes ago, RDawson said:

I don’t know the part number but there is a thermostat widely used in Japanese cars that fits 

I believe that an early to mid 90s Geo Metro thermostat will fit. I think there is a discussion somewhere here on the forum. 

On 7/17/2021 at 11:19 AM, larrydr said:

Vinegar and water can be very acidic as well and may be very aggressive on aluminum. At the shop where I work we use cascade dish washer soap to clean cooling systems most of the time. @Patch mentioned using a dishwasher  cleaner that he states is effective as well. If you do use one of the strong off the shelf cleaner/de-scaler go with the two part system were part two is a neutralizer.

I did see this one by Prestone sold by Canadian tire which sounds safe and effective.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/prestone-radiator-flush-plus-cleaner-650-ml-0380811p.0380811.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwos-HBhB3EiwAe4xM94zwKzYnk1bceYVikCfbhjzQwn3_ZoymqJc98DPhjzhSeoeKb7pX7xoCsLIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#store=122

Edited by saddlebum

3 hours ago, saddlebum said:

Vinegar and water can be very acidic as well and may be very aggressive on aluminum. At the shop where I work we use cascade dish washer soap to clean cooling systems most of the time. @Patch mentioned using a dishwasher  cleaner that he states is effective as well. If you do use one of the strong off the shelf cleaner/de-scaler go with the two part system were part two is a neutralizer.

I did see this one by Prestone sold by Canadian tire which sounds safe and effective.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/prestone-radiator-flush-plus-cleaner-650-ml-0380811p.0380811.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwos-HBhB3EiwAe4xM94zwKzYnk1bceYVikCfbhjzQwn3_ZoymqJc98DPhjzhSeoeKb7pX7xoCsLIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#store=122

Thanks I will proceed with caution ...I think my  cooling plugged or the water pump is done/kaput 

On 7/18/2021 at 6:51 PM, Jayceesfolly said:

I use these for my '89 VR and have for a  few years with no issue.  They are 180 degrees. 

NAPA thermostat for First Gen Stant.jpg

NAPA thermostat for First Gen.jpg

Thanks for the picture ,,,found one with the same parts number ....I found out that my thermostat was sticking and I may replace it anyway

Thanks for the tip on that Prestone rad cleaner, Ben.  I've been toying with the idea of a flush and fill event for some time now as my fan seems to be coming on in stop & go traffic a lot more often than last year.  Might be able to blame it on Climate Change, but the rad cleaner is somewhere simple to start.  👍