IGNORED

85 venture with oil leak on the left side shifter

Dirtworkerml

Hey guys I just picked up a 85 venture it seems to be in great condition runs great and is everything I want except it started leaking oil by the gearshift seal. After reading and researching a little bit it looks like there’s a lot underneath that left side cover lol is this a job I can do myself with some basic skills

99079943-D8F1-4557-8858-43F467119032.jpeg

two most common spots are the two covers on that side front one is the stater cover the rear one is the middle gear cover. the gaskets are very narrow on those. Also check the bottom bolt on the rear middle gear cover it should have a copper washer under the head or oil will leak from there. Another thing to check is the clutch slave seal were it mounts to the engine. it is behind the the second gear cover over hang between the stater cover and the middle gear cover. If none of these appear to be leaking than you need to look higher up.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Scott Severs said:

Dumb question  I read that by pulling the lower bolt from the middle gear cover will drain the oil from behind it. Is this the same oil as from the rest of the engine? I assume so as I cannot find any words to refill it.

Not a dumb question but yes it’s just the motor oil. Some pull that bolt during oil changes to get that out, there’s not much there so I personally don’t mess with it. 

10 hours ago, Scott Severs said:

Dumb question  I read that by pulling the lower bolt from the middle gear cover will drain the oil from behind it. Is this the same oil as from the rest of the engine? I assume so as I cannot find any words to refill it.

Definitely not a dumb question! Pulling that screw drains approx a 1/8 - 1/4 cup of additional engine oil. Some pull it, most can't be bothered, ( it is the one screw in the cover with a a copper washer under the head ), . However if you do make sure you always include the copper washer under the head preferably with a new one if possible.

Edited by saddlebum

3 hours ago, Pasta Burner said:

My mystery leak was coming from the hose that goes to the breather under the air box.  Let some oil out and the problem went away

The oil in the air box comes from having too much oil in the crankcase. Should be no more than halfway up the sight glass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Marcarl said:

The oil in the air box comes from having too much oil in the crankcase. Should be no more than halfway up the sight glass.

Yep!  Thanks I believe it was you Carl who got me fixed up.  I gotta top a little more in, it occasionally yells at me it’s low for a few seconds.

22 hours ago, Pasta Burner said:

Yep!  Thanks I believe it was you Carl who got me fixed up.  I gotta top a little more in, it occasionally yells at me it’s low for a few seconds.

It might yell at yah for a brief moment if you get on it hard, not a problem really. The sensor is not a pressure sensor but rather an oil level sensor. So when you crank on it then the oil in the pan will slosh to the back and cause a red light. No problem.

• Like 1