IGNORED

I got a PROBLEM!!

Marcarl

2003 GL 1800. Fork seals were shot. Replaced seals and tubes. One seal still leaked so replaced that one. Found it had turned upside down in the process,, they don't work well that way.

So now the new one leaks, tubes are perfect. WHY?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Marcarl said:

2003 GL 1800. Fork seals were shot. Replaced seals and tubes. One seal still leaked so replaced that one. Found it had turned upside down in the process,, they don't work well that way.

So now the new one leaks, tubes are perfect. WHY?

I have found a issue with after market seals ...I ordered seals for my 83 1200 from Yamaha , it seemed they would never come so found some aftermarket not to far away and they arrived quickly .

They don't seal properly , now I am back to waiting for my seals from Yamaha

• Like 1

Hey Marcarl,

I have to admit, I have rarely seen you post about something that has you scratching your head over it, so this will be an honor to add my two cents to the mix! With that being said, The guide bushings that keep the upper fork tubes in the center of the lower fork tubes will wear out just like the fork seals. In fact, if the guide bushings are excessively worn, they will cause a perfectly good set of fork seals to start leaking!

Because of the "Rake" of the front fork tubes, (angle of the tubes in relation to the center line of the motorcycle frame) the guide bushing inside diameter will become "egg shaped" over time. When this condition increases to the point where the lip of the fork seal no longer contacts the upper fork tubes, leakage will result. There are usually two guide bushings in each lower fork tube, try replacing those.

Earl

• Like 7

Forgot to mention: replaced guide bushings,,, just for that reason Earl, but thanks for bringing that up. We did go with seals from AllBalls though, thinking that they might be reputable enough? Might there be too much wear in the lower tubes? Fresh oil was in the tubes for only 2 weeks and was totally black.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 5:14 AM, Marcarl said:

Forgot to mention: replaced guide bushings,,, just for that reason Earl, but thanks for bringing that up. We did go with seals from AllBalls though, thinking that they might be reputable enough? Might there be too much wear in the lower tubes? Fresh oil was in the tubes for only 2 weeks and was totally black.

AllBalls is almost entirely Chinese stuff, they do make steering head race/bearing sets for our bikes that is made in India, but I think thats about it.  Chinese fork seals are widely known to fail prematurely regardless of how impressively they are packaged and marketed.  I highly recommend discarding the AllBallz items and instead using OEM Yamaha. If it's already together then do grab a set of OEM Yamaha seals and keep them in a saddle bag with you.  Trust me on this one haha.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting.... For my fork seals for the '89. Yamaha seals. Guess they have to go find the retired guy who ran the machine that made them....

Been over a month and looks like maybe September they will ship. 

We shall see...

David

• Sad 1

When so many people were laid off with great benefits, they repaired their motorcycles.  I was told by a guy at partzilla that they were working 7 days a week trying to fill all the orders.  I suppose that combined with the virus has caused a backlog for many things.  The chip shortage among other things has caused a low inventory of new trucks.  Even RAM is giving tiny discounts now and you will probably pay sticker or more for a toyota truck. 

• Like 1

I had a set of extras on my bike and ended up using one, I guess one of my fork tubes had an issue but I did some gentle smoothing and it's been fine for quite a few miles and a couple seasons.

I should have a single new one left, I'll check on a local source that may hopefully have another or two in stock.

BlueSky is right, nobody is going to come to work yet when they still have 10-15k extra saved up in the bank from being dramatically overpaid during the Bat Flu.  I'm not going back to work as an RN, I'm going to stay home and answer phones for a national bank. Once I remove the cost and anguish of a commute through Black Hills traffic and nonsensical workplace politics/drama I'm further ahead.  Maybe the same for the guy that should be taking orders and shipping seals haha.

Okay.

Local shop (local to me in western SD) has a couple oil seals in stock but not the dust covers.  A word of warning, they are VERY proud of these seals but they are OEM!

I PM'd you the business info. I hope this helps.

Edited by CaseyJ955

On 7/17/2021 at 11:21 AM, CaseyJ955 said:

Okay.

Local shop (local to me in western SD) has a couple oil seals in stock but not the dust covers.  A word of warning, they are VERY proud of these seals but they are OEM!

I PM'd you the business info. I hope this helps.

If you were replying to me, I did not get the PM. Keep in mind that it's a Gold Wing I'm dealing with, not a Venture.

7 hours ago, Marcarl said:

Thanks for all your input,,,, I now have to convince him to go with OEM,,, and he is Dutch,, just like me.

A penny saved is a penny earned.

or

Penny wise and pound foolish.

Dilemma, dilemma.

Well now you got two seals so just double them up..........That's gotta work..........Rght

Is that the Dutch phrase that is used to describe a "Cheapskate" Marcarl! "A penny saved is a penny earned"! (Cheapskate!) "Penny wise and pound foolish"! (Cheapskate!) We sorta' cut to the chase down here in the lower 48. I love ya', brother!

Earl

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, skydoc_17 said:

Is that the Dutch phrase that is used to describe a "Cheapskate" Marcarl! "A penny saved is a penny earned"! (Cheapskate!) "Penny wise and pound foolish"! (Cheapskate!) We sorta' cut to the chase down here in the lower 48. I love ya', brother!

Earl

Sure,,,, slap me over the head,,,, give me a wedgie,,,, spill my coffee,,, drink my beer and then tell me you love me after pulling the rug from under me. Love you too Earl!!

• Thanks 1

So,, after reading some GL posts in other forums, there is some talk about the Anti-dive causing a seal leak. I scratch my head over that. What do they have to do with each other? The anti-dive is there to slow the progression of fork depression, so limiting the transfer of fork oil. How does that effect the seal? 

1 hour ago, Marcarl said:

So,, after reading some GL posts in other forums, there is some talk about the Anti-dive causing a seal leak. I scratch my head over that. What do they have to do with each other? The anti-dive is there to slow the progression of fork depression, so limiting the transfer of fork oil. How does that effect the seal? 

Would have to see a flow diagram but I am thinking what may occur, is the Anti-dive would block fluid flow and so when the fork attempts to compress there would be increased pressure on the fluid in the forks causing it to be forced against the seal. If the Anti-dive is faulty and creating more fluid flow blockage or back pressure than  the design intent, I am thinking the seal may leak. This could be compounded by A softer inferior after market seal which may even be more unable to with stand this added pressure.

However I am just making a somewhat educated guess here and could be way out in left field but I once hit a pothole hard enough to pop the top seal on one of my forks.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Marcarl said:

After my last comment, I am almost afraid to answer! But here goes. When you dampen the flow of oil in the fork, it increases the pressure in the area above the Anti-Dive Unit to the bottom of the fork seal. This increase in pressure will migrate out of the fork seal in any area that has been compromised in the form of a leak. 

Earl

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skydoc_17 said:

After my last comment, I am almost afraid to answer! But here goes. When you dampen the flow of oil in the fork, it increases the pressure in the area above the Anti-Dive Unit to the bottom of the fork seal. This increase in pressure will migrate out of the fork seal in any area that has been compromised in the form of a leak. 

Earl

Now that makes a bit of sense,,,, finally some wisdom here!!! @ guys saying more or less the same thing, must make it right!

Thanks guys!!

• Thanks 1