IGNORED

SVTC Performance Upgrades

Hello fellow “Venturers”!  Well, while I like the performance of my SVTC I know that “Raider” engine in it has more to give.

There are some of you out there already like me who have drilled out the pipes and added the K&N air filter.  For my part, I felt a definite seat of the pants increase in performance and it has not hurt my gas mileage as long as I “stay out of it”.  That’s difficult though since I ride exclusively in SPORT mode except for in the rain.

Anyways, Magnum Tuning has a reasonable performance chip at $250 which has been designed and dyno’d on a stock SVTC and they guarantee 15% MORE HP, 15% MORE Torque and 22% FASTER throttle response.  All this without flashing the ECM and thus destroying the warranty. It works with the existing ECM program by causing it to adjust to parameters being fed to it (by the chip) and gives you the performance increase.

In other words the ECM is just operating as designed, and the unit can be switched off and it goes back to operating as before. 
That being said, we know the weakest point of this motor is the flat tappet lifters. Because of that design, running a motor oil with at least 1500ppm ZDDP is essential. Mobil 1 V-Twin is 1700ppm and the only other higher is Redline Oil at 2200ppm but it’s pricey per qt.  I did find a ZDDP additive which only adds $10 to each oil change but puts the ZDDP protection levels at 3,000ppm.  I’ve ordered it and it should arrive by next Friday. I need to get the protection in BEFORE I increase the output.

Its been requested that I do an “installation” video when I perform this, so I’ll do my best to accommodate that.

Looking forward to the results!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE: Well, I’m sorry there’s no video or step by step on this one. It was truly a pain in the butt to run the wires properly, and I encountered a a few frustrations to say the least.  I did install it with a cut-off switch so I can go back to stock easily.

Ive been doing a number of projects back to back so the bike has been on the lift for almost a month (feeling riding withdrawals)!  So, finishing up the last of the projects installing a dual camera system. Should be done with that by 4 or 5pm and then it’s time to wash & wax.  Going riding to Lake Lure with a group tomorrow and looking forward to it!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...