IGNORED

First Brew Day in the New House!

luvmy40

Brewing an Imperial Milk Stout. First batch at the new abode. It has been far from smooth as we are still unboxing stuff and I could not find a couple key pieces of equipment. Fortunately, we are about 4 blocks from a very nice home brew supply house.

Make Beer, Not War!

brew day.jpg

• Like 3

So do Milk Stouts or other Chocolate Stouts actually have milk and or chocolate?  I’m allergic to dairy from Cows milk and have always wondered.  Also having a Cows milk allergy has always presented a problem when an ingredient claims “milk”.  From what animal did that milk come? Because it’s only Cows I have an issue.  I haven’t brewed in like two years!  I think you’ve inspired me to get back at it.

2 minutes ago, Pasta Burner said:

So do Milk Stouts or other Chocolate Stouts actually have milk and or chocolate?  I’m allergic to dairy from Cows milk and have always wondered.  Also having a Cows milk allergy has always presented a problem when an ingredient claims “milk”.  From what animal did that milk come? Because it’s only Cows I have an issue.  I haven’t brewed in like two years!  I think you’ve inspired me to get back at it.

Milk stouts have a lactose/lactic acid adjunct. Some chocolate stouts have a chocolate flavor added. Some just get a chocolaty flavor from the grain bill.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bpate4home said:

Been wondering if I should setup my own micro still?  Would it be legal? If you can make small amounts of beer and wine why not bourbon?

Technically, distilling alchohol for human consumption without the proper licsensing is illegal. I highly doubt the Revinuers are going to knock down your door if you make up a batch of whiskey for personal use. Do be careful, you need to discard a portion of the distillation as it contains methanol in small quantities and can be dangerous.

Edited by luvmy40

The methanol levels are really pretty low, but methanol can be nasty so it's best to get rid of it at any level. 

That old white lightning adage had more to do with the bootleggers using lead radiators as condensers.

12 hours ago, luvmy40 said:

The methanol levels are really pretty low, but methanol can be nasty so it's best to get rid of it at any level. 

That old white lightning adage had more to do with the bootleggers using lead radiators as condensers.

I never knew that. I came across a still in a WV holler when I was about 14. Got some rock salt in my thigh over it, scared the crap out of me. He asked me about it on our next visit so we talked about it and staying away from stuff that wasn't mine in the woods. I never told my parents until I was an adult. They said it was his still and they knew all along.  He taught me a valuable lesson about 'movin along' as he put it. 

• Like 1