IGNORED

Fuel pump diagnostic procedure?

I haven't ridden the big girl much this year, nor the little one for that matter, because depression is a bitch. I think maybe I should just sell them.

However, when I turn the ignition on, I don't hear the fuel pump clicking anymore like it always did, and the bike felt a little down on power at highway speed.

Is there a procedure to test/diagnose an imminent fuel pump failure before I order parts? I don't feel right listing a bike with a known problem. It's a 2008 with 75,000Km on the clock.

Thanks, you all have been so helpful in the past.

Edited by SilveradoCA

Check fuse, or could check voltage at pump (DVOM or test light) IF that looks good you can pull fuel line off and see if it pumps fuel with a decent amount of pressure like 5 psi I think, more than a dribble any who.

• Like 1

Thanks; the FP is powered via the main fuse (and?) ignition fuse, which are OK.

Can anyone pinpoint the location of the fuel pump relay for me? The word relay does not appear in the owner's manual, and the factory service manual indicates with a big arrow that it's someplace near the battery... not particularly helpful. I can't seem to spot it with the left side cover off where the FP is. Google and YT are thin on helpful info.

TIA.