IGNORED

1986 Yamaha Venture Royale

On 7/23/2021 at 9:35 PM, YoungWayne said:

Thank you everyone for replying, I'm heading to the store now to buy a clamp, hopefully this will get the job done. 

I'll see about upgrading from a trial member.

@Squidley I appreciate the offer, I'm sure I will definitely need your advice sooner or later! 

Just Remember that if using a c-clamp to only use gentle pressure. If it requires a lot of force then the pistons and seals will need to be serviced.

• Thanks 1

I haven't been able to work on the bike for a while, but it's in the shade now ready to be worked on.

I vacuumed what I could from the carbs, then I took off the air filter housing and cleaned it. Here's a picture of what's underneath, any recommendations? It's pretty dusty in there. For now I'm waiting for the housing to dry and then I'll put it back on

Edited by YoungWayne

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/16/2021 at 9:30 AM, saddlebum said:

Ouch I hope you did not turn the engine over yet.

@YoungWaynetake a vacuum cleaner or better a shop vac to it before you remove the housing or disturb anything else. Then carefully remove the housing as suggested and wash well. if you have a small enough nozzle try to suck what you can from the carbs. Another thing you can do, is remove the plugs, then slowly rotate the engine by hand. If you look up valve set in the manual it will show you how to rotate by hand. Rotate until you have a cylinder on its intake stroke (intake valve should be open ) then with the carb in wide open throttle position, blast compressed air into the spark plug hole you should feel air coming up through its connected carb. The idea here is to blast out as much dirt as possible back up and out through the carb. Repeat for each cylinder. Then after doing this rotate until the exhaust is open and blast air through it again (you should feel air coming out the exhaust). The idea here is to blast out as much grit as possible. What you do not want is grit residing in the cylinders and  causing undo wear on the  the cylinder and pistons. Although if you already attempted tarting it or doing a compression test this may be of small use by now but still cannot hurt. . Personally I am surprised someone would store a bike with no filter or at least some form of cover over the carbs

How do I get the carb into an open position? I removed the spark plug and I'm able to turn the engine by hand

4 hours ago, YoungWayne said:

How do I get the carb into an open position? I removed the spark plug and I'm able to turn the engine by hand

Best way is to remove the 4 screws that hold the diaphragm  covers in place. then remove the covers and finally carefully remove the diaphragms and sliders. This will give you good access to vacuum out a good portion of the silt and dirt. You can even place the covers back on without the diaphragms  to cover the hole. Then hook the vacuum hose to the top of the carb. While you have the diaphragms out check them over carefully for any pin holes, tears or severe distortion-ed material. Inspect the sliders and bores for any severe scoring. As long as everything appears to be acceptable once you have cleaned out as much dirt as you can put it all back together. On the needle end of the slider there is a hole in the end make sure this hole is rotated to the  6 o-clock position before you slide it in and do not over tighten the screws.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2021 at 5:49 PM, saddlebum said:

Best way is to remove the 4 screws that hold the diaphragm  covers in place. then remove the covers and finally carefully remove the diaphragms and sliders. This will give you good access to vacuum out a good portion of the silt and dirt. You can even place the covers back on without the diaphragms  to cover the hole. Then hook the vacuum hose to the top of the carb. While you have the diaphragms out check them over carefully for any pin holes, tears or severe distortion-ed material. Inspect the sliders and bores for any severe scoring. As long as everything appears to be acceptable once you have cleaned out as much dirt as you can put it all back together. On the needle end of the slider there is a hole in the end make sure this hole is rotated to the  6 o-clock position before you slide it in and do not over tighten the screws.

I've been wanting to say thank you. I did what you said and it worked. Hopefully I was able to get most of the debris out of there. Thanks again sir!

Edited by YoungWayne
  • Like 1