IGNORED

Cruise Control Problem

My 1986 Venture cruise control works fine at lower speeds like 45-50 mph, but will not hold the set point at 60 mph and above.  Bike very slowly loses speed then trips off when speed drops to 5mph below set point as it is supposed to do.  I tested the vacuum actuator and it will hold a near-full throttle position when manually pulled back and the vacuum port capped.  The throttle seems a bit stiff even after lubing the cables, but I'm guessing that's not the problem since the actuator will hold the near-full open position for several minutes.  As I said, all components work fine at the lower speeds.  Any ideas on where to go from here would be appreciated.

Check all your redundant switches. clutch lever front and rear brake switches for secure contact. These switches are meant to switch off cruise control anytime you activate your clutch or brake pedal and can kick off your cruise control if out of adjustment or if the pivots on your control levers are sloppy.  Make sure the speed sensor switch is working properly (it is also used to cancel your turn signal and is built into the speedometer housing). Check all your controls and related wiring connections and wiring for corrosion.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the club.  🙁 When I experienced the same problem, I checked every component in the system and even replaced the cruise control module a couple times.  Over time and with use, my problem mostly went away (oddly seems to be somewhat affected by altitude, so might be air pressure related).  The only thing I haven't checked in the system is the speed sensor in the dash.  My this'll help you get started.  Do you have the link to the online manual for the troubleshooting procedure?

Edited by Bob K.

• 4 weeks later...