IGNORED

Dead Microphone

Chasing a little mystery here.  A friend of mine has a 2003 Midnight Venture with a dead microphone in the front audio socket (on the gas tank).  His helmet audio and microphone work in the rear socket on his bike and both sockets on my bike (2000 RSV).  We tested 3 helmets on both bikes.  All helmets have audio and mic in both positions on my bike, but only the rear socket on his bike. When any helmet is plugged into the front socket of his bike, that helmet receives radio and passenger audio from the rear socket, or CB audio from another bike, but has no microphone transmission.

We used a multi-meter to test continuity of the microphone pins in the socket, following a Clymer Service manual, and got continuity readings in all sockets. ( I tested my bike as well...similar readings to his.)

He's planning on splitting the fairing to get a look at the other end of the audio cable and whatever it's plugged into, and I'm wondering if anyone here has experienced this odd failure and has ideas on what else to look for.

Cheers...

There are several large audio plugs in a bundle inside the fairing, I would check and clean them, corrosion there is not unheard of. A little dielectric grease to keep moisture out after cleaning helps. They are cable tied to the fairing frame on the throttle side. 

• Like 1

Dead mic update...we got our hands on an audio cable from a wrecked RSV, tested it, cleaned all contacts, bit of dielectric and installed it.  Everything works as it should.

Odd that one circuit in the old cable took a holiday.  Gotta love Things Electrical.

Cheers...

15 hours ago, Papa Fred said:

Dead mic update...we got our hands on an audio cable from a wrecked RSV, tested it, cleaned all contacts, bit of dielectric and installed it.  Everything works as it should.

Odd that one circuit in the old cable took a holiday.  Gotta love Things Electrical.

Cheers...

When things are over-used, they often have failures,,,,,, just sayin.

2 hours ago, Marcarl said:

When things are over-used, they often have failures,,,,,, just sayin.

But it was the front one, from my experience it’s the passenger mic that’s over used🤣🤣🤣😇😇

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, RDawson said:

But it was the front one, from my experience it’s the passenger mic that’s over used🤣🤣🤣😇😇

now you just saying what I was thinking. 🤣

Edited by Woody
  • Haha 1