IGNORED

New Venture Gen 1 arriving. What would be on your to do list?

casper

Well after owning a XV1300 back in the 90's I have returned to the fold.

Because in England they were few and far between and grey imports I have had to look overseas to acquire one.

I have now purchased a 1991 (at least firs registered then) 1300 however because of Covid and quarantine rules I have for the first time bought only based on some pictures. Always a risk that underneath the plastic & Tupperware the frame and electrics are shot but what the hell, you only live once. I am pretty sure the carbs will need an overhaul as it has been parked up for nearly 5 years along with lots more.

On my  "will need doing soon" List I have besides the carbs

1. Change all fluids.

2. Replace hoses with new braided

3. New tyres depending on age

4. New Battery

5. Consider a US instrument cluster with MPH on outside scale ( this one is KPH on Outside being European but not sure how to get mileage to line up).

See if I can put a few hundred miles on it and find out what rattles, doesn't work or is missing.

My question to the knowledgeable members is what else would you plan on doing or think will be an issue?

I know I will be fixing and working on it a lot but that is half the fun of going back to an old bike and not getting a new and bland modern bike with no soul. Oh and I cant afford a new bike!

That said I am going to be a bit more than nervous waiting for the shipper to arrive and open up the truck to wheel it out sometime in July and I first get to see her in the flesh.

Mike.

• Like 1

Mike, go through the scoot front to back. Re-torque everything major. What I'm suggesting is for you to start a maintenance record. Be thorough. Two things: 1... You will know what's is right with the bike and corrected what was wrong... And 2..... You hopefully won't have any safety surprises as you take off and enjoy riding a 1st gen Venture again!

Welcome back!

david

Edited by videoarizona

You may want to consider doubling up the clutch spring.   It's a wave style, and makes a major performance difference.

Obviously, you'll want to check or replace the clutch discs, but do the spring as well.

Some folks think it makes the clutch a bit stiff, but I can't say that I've even noticed much of a difference on mine.

I hate it when you want power and roll the throttle on only to rev the engine while the clutch slips.

Welcome back to the fold !!!

Thanks all.

I will be adding them on my check/do list.

Just the wait for it to arrive now whenever that may be. I know I will be nervous until I see it in the flesh and know what I have got into. I did the research though so am fairly confident it will all be good if not better than I expect but still still going to be happier once I can touch it.

Mike

• Like 4