IGNORED

Do It Yourself SS brake hoses

I have used a local shop by simply taking my old hoses in and having them make matching hoses out of stainless and the pricing was less than OEM. They have also made custom hoses for me from detailed drawings and spec's that I have provided. I would like to point out It is important to keep in mind that  both the shop and their equipment must be  government certified to make brake hoses. Not all shops equipped to make hydraulic hose are fully certified to make up  brake hoses. Also check out some of the automotive performance shops, some of them are either certified or know of a place that is certified to make up stainless brake hoses. Some hose specialty  shops may be certified or  be able to refer you to a shop that is.

Edited by saddlebum

Our own skydoc_17 makes custom brake line kits for the Ventures. I'd be willing to bet he'd make you up what ever you need as well. His products are top notch, high quality and his customer service is beyond excellent. On top of all that, Earl is just one hell of good guy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, luvmy40 said:

Our own skydoc_17 makes custom brake line kits for the Ventures. I'd be willing to bet he'd make you up what ever you need as well. His products are top notch, high quality and his customer service is beyond excellent. On top of all that, Earl is just one hell of good guy!

This is very true and I myself have happily dealt with him on several occasions. However, though I may be wrong, I was under the impression that he only provided the de-link kits for !st Gens and he out sourced the manufacturing of the lines he used to put together these kits. It had not occurred to me that he may be able to provide custom lines for anything else. I guess this is were @skydoc_17should chime in and enlighten us or maybe just me.:think:

I was hoping there was a reasonably priced source for parts that could be used to buid hoses since I have so many older bikes that could use firmer brakes. I like doing my own stuff (and I am cheap). I know I can buy them for $75 or so per hose, but I would like to do it for $30 per bike. Some web sites advertise DIY, but actually just sell hoses. And I don't want to buy 35 year old NOS; they probably won't be any better than the old ones on my bikes.

When it comes to brake hoses I don't mess around. I had one aftermarket SS hose burst on me during a brake application. So my advice cheap out somewhere else but not on brake hoses. Nothing like loosing your brakes on a steep down hill sharp bend to drive that point home. I used to have a great head of hair until that happened.

Hey Guys,

I am humbled by your kind words about the line sets I provide for the VR.ORG Members! Now, Frank I have the ability to make up Aircraft quality, Kevlar lined S.S. brake lines for any motorcycle. I keep the fittings for the metric bikes in stock, but can order fittings for HD, Victory, etc. that use inch fittings. I am certified by the state of Pennsylvania to construct Hydraulic lines for automotive use.  (This means motorcycles as well) I do offer The De-Link Kit for the MKII and MKII First Gen. Ventures, as an upgrade, but can make up stock lines as well. Special fittings and custom lengths of the line material control the cost of each line. A package of lines would be cheaper than a single line, per line. To be honest, it cost me more than $30.00 to construct a single line for the Venture.

As Saddlebum mentioned, The words "Cheap" and "Brake Line" should NEVER be in the same sentence, in my opinion. I am sure I can beat the price of your standard Gaffler line sold on Ebay, plus the lines would be constructed to your exact specs with install support after the sale. I regularly construct custom lines for extended handle bars, Caliper Swaps, and Master Cylinder Relocations. 

If I can help you with custom brake lines Frank, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks again guys, for the kind words!

Earl

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pro procrastinator said:

Ive had issues with oem stuff for cars leaking at the crimps so im a big fan of the right shops building my lines!  I wish sky doc was closer id stop in sometime with a mess of older lines from a couple of different projects.  Its cost plus beer right? 😆

I have the same regarding distance plus customs. It was great when I could place an order with him and then either meet him at a rally or arrange  a  chain of hand offs with other mmembers. The one incident that curbed my cross border orders was when thanks to our greedy Canadian Government plus shipping  a $250.00 windshield cost me $460.00 .

So even though I am not in the best position to always purchse from @skydoc_17. I will always vouch for him to those who are able to.

Edited by saddlebum

Besides the fact that he was a close personal friend of many years, I sure am missing Bongo Bob because he was always kind enough to allow me to send lines to him for our Canadian members and then allow those members to pick them up at his place! Rest in Peace Bob, you are truly missed, old friend! 

With that being said, A six line, First Gen. De-Link Kit ships to Canada for around $40US by USPS Priority Mail Service. (Depending on location) Shipping to the lower 48 states is FREE with the purchase of a line set. I recently have constructed a Direct Bolt On Second Gen. Line Kit that I will be posting in the Member Vendor Section of the Forum in the near future. The shipping is also FREE for the lower 48 states and actual cost for the "Out of Town" members of the forum. (Canada, Europe, Australia, etc.) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, skydoc_17 said:

Besides the fact that he was a close personal friend of many years, I sure am missing Bongo Bob because he was always kind enough to allow me to send lines to him for our Canadian members and then allow those members to pick them up at his place! Rest in Peace Bob, you are truly missed, old friend! 

So very true. Many times he would make the trip himself and deliver the parts in person. First time I met Bob in person was when my bike got run off the road in 2007. He PM'd me to see what parts I needed. Next thing I know he shows up at the truck shop I work at with some of the needed parts for my bike and refused to even take gas money for running them up. Bongo Bob was one of a kind and I am sure a special place was made for him when he left us behind RIP Brother we sure do miss you.

• Like 1

Last time I saw Bob my wife and I went to Niagara then met at his house to ride down to Don’s MD. I helped load an air conditioner coil and a few other things in his car to deliver to members from Canada. That was the last MD he made it to. 

• Like 1