IGNORED

Ontario ride ?

XV1100SE

With Ontario going to the next stage of opening...it's been quite a while since the Ontario group has been able to get together.  Wondering if anyone is open to getting together for a ride.

I have the first 3 weeks of July off work and received both doses of Moderna.  My time is flexible for when (or multiple days) so let's hear from those interested.

Destination/route : undecided

Date : undecided

Ride leader : undecided (hoping for Carl)

Tail gunner : me (as usual)

Unfortunately I am grounded for a while. A small scrape on my shin  ended up with an infection which turned into a severe case of cellulitis in my leg resulting in a 1-1/2 x 3 inch section of dead  meat which had to be surgically removed.  After eleven days of being hooked up to two portable IV units of two different antibiotics, I  am now  hooked up to a portable vacuum wound therapy unit. If I am lucky I may be able to squeeze a couple rides in near the end of the summer.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

52 minutes ago, saddlebum said:

Unfortunately I am grounded for a while. A small scrape on my shin  ended up with an infection which turned into a severe case of cellulitis in my leg resulting in a 1-1/2 x 3 inch section of dead  meat which had to be surgically removed.  After eleven days of being hooked up to two portable IV units of two different antibiotics, I  am now  hooked up to a portable vacuum wound therapy unit. If I am lucky I may be able to squeeze a couple rides in near the end of the summer.

I bet that hurts , when stuff like that happens to us we realize that life is one day at a time .I do hope all goes well for you .. I have been on medical leave of my drivers license since since April 7th and am waiting for pacemaker implant .  Once in a while I sneak out for test ride for 1/2 mile or so ..I know all the law enforcement guys out here , but of course that may not help any if I were to get checked ...

Larry, PLEASE do NOT ride at ALL.

We had a similar situ last year, with Wife in hospital for a month, and the rotten PSW caused our Licence to be pulled as well - despite no hurts, accidents, no nothing!!!. 

We were sorely tempted to see our dear Wife more often, but Family, Friends, and ('God blessem') Neighbors simply would NOT let us hit the road.!! We needed to bum rides, but NEVER had a situ where nobody was available to give us a Lift.

The Consequences - IF somebody caused an accident that unavoidably got you somehow involved - your LIFE would be over! Insurance Claims would take EVERYTHING!!!.

Sincerely, WRIDR

Camping Bruce Peninsula area week of 19th to 24th or so! 

Updated schedule to get tires & brake rotor installed and it is the 30th not 28th. Then would have to take a couple days to break them in depending on weather.

Ben    sorry to hear   hope you recover soon!!!

Will wait to hear updates!!!!!!!!!!!!

@XV1100SE great idea. I'd like to meet the Ontario group. My work schedule is flexible so most week days are good and we head to the cottage most weekends in the summer but flexible there too. Ouch, that sounds painful @saddlebum and too bad that happened during the summer of all seasons but never a good time to endure that. Good luck on a speedy recovery.

Mark

21 hours ago, WRIDR said:

Larry, PLEASE do NOT ride at ALL.

We had a similar situ last year, with Wife in hospital for a month, and the rotten PSW caused our Licence to be pulled as well - despite no hurts, accidents, no nothing!!!. 

We were sorely tempted to see our dear Wife more often, but Family, Friends, and ('God blessem') Neighbors simply would NOT let us hit the road.!! We needed to bum rides, but NEVER had a situ where nobody was available to give us a Lift.

The Consequences - IF somebody caused an accident that unavoidably got you somehow involved - your LIFE would be over! Insurance Claims would take EVERYTHING!!!.

Sincerely, WRIDR

I guess you are right on that one...I have had to give up 6 door service contracts costing me thousands of dollars , had to lay a employee .

I gave up a 6 million dollar liability insurance policy .

Maybe it is time to to retire , but I thought 74 was to young to retire

I was /am a emergency service contractor with security clearance .... and just found out that I had to give that up because of not driving  ..

The jobs that I was getting because of the clearance are gone because of not getting there

• Like 1

14 hours ago, larrydr said:

I guess you are right on that one...I have had to give up 6 door service contracts costing me thousands of dollars , had to lay a employee .

I gave up a 6 million dollar liability insurance policy .

Maybe it is time to to retire , but I thought 74 was to young to retire

I was /am a emergency service contractor with security clearance .... and just found out that I had to give that up because of not driving  ..

The jobs that I was getting because of the clearance are gone because of not getting there

Man that really sucks I hope things turn around for you soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Went on a great ride with Carl today...Paris to Hamilton, Grimsby, St. Catherines, Welland....

Wish others could have joined us.  Weather was perfect and Carl had great company..... ME !!!!  Carl as leader of the "group", me as the usual tail gunner....

• Like 1

If you think this is a long read,,,,,, you're right, but I enjoyed writing it, so now you have to read it. Just so that you are aware, I'm not normally long winded, but I have some friends who are so if you make any derogatory comments I will set them onto you.

Got up this morning, had breakfast and coffee, went for a walk with my best friend, and then told her I was going for a little ride. She said have a fine day darling (darling is a good term coming from her and it means that she is in agreement with my thoughts). So off I go, head to Paris Ont where it seems I pick up a hanger-on. I tell yah, that kid could ride!! I left Paris, heading for Caledonia and he stuck with me, everytime I looked back he was still there, like the plague, couldn't shake him!! After leaving Caledonia I thought I would see if I could confuse him a bit, so I turned here and turned there, never going back but always moving in a new direction. Opened the scooter up a bit to see if that would shake him, but alas, he was still on my tail. A new thought came to me, so I headed for a congested traffic area,,, that was a mistake, he must have been super scared for he stuck much closer than before, so I took to a 4 lane and beat my horse with a whip, but when I got to a resting place,,,, there he was, right beside me. We conversed for a bit, introduced ourselves to the ladies next door (who would have none of our (mine) conversation and then I proceeded to leave the area,,, maybe better luck in the next town? Hey!!! I was just trying to be a nice guy as usual, but them ladies had their mind all made up and you know how it is with mindup ladies!!! I headed for the hill country with Red still in tow (I'll call him Red for that was the color of his bike), thinking he might take a short ride down a long hill or something like that. I couldn't shake him!! I went slower and then faster, turned corners  and went somewhat straight, but he hung in there. He was good I tell yah as anyone can attest to, that has tried following me for a while, it's not an easy feat. I came up with another solution to shake him, so I tried that out, I went off track and ended up at a dead-end, but even that didn't deter him, he did wonderfully and stayed on my tail. Next I tried to run up a hill and then down the same hill, but he was so determined to stick it out I thought to take him to my secret hidey spot,,,,, that done it, he stayed well away and would not follow me there. But when I came out of my secret spot, there he was, nice and relaxed and patiently waiting for my return. By now I figured he was lost and so couldn't do without me, I had him over a barrel so to speak, so after a few more twists and turns I co-hursted him into springing for a Gelato in Fonthill Ont. From there we headed home along many river fronts and did come to a place of well repute for their preparations of things for the stomach and I thought he might need something to eat, so I suggested that to him, hoping to get him to spend some more of that hidden cash and benefit my own personal reputation of eating on somebody else's expense. No luck there, he was still full of Gelato or he was afraid I would finish the meal before he did and then might leave him lost and lonely in the wilds of Lincoln County. At this point I had given up trying to loose him, so I kept my tripod to a low roar, also figuring that at his age the long ride might be a bit more than he could handle and I would end up having to go look for a napping rider somewhere back there. A bit later, and occasionally still trying to shake him I ended up in a place of Done,, but they now call it Dunnville, I guess that's short for something, but in either case it seemed to raise up an appetite in my 'shadow' so I thought he offered to spring for my lunch. I thought that was mighty nice of him, so found a real nice roadside BBQ pit close handy, before he could change his mind. I tell yah, this guy is slick, before I knew it he had me pay my own way,, and that after me dragging him all the way around on a major sight seeing tour. Lucky it was my birthday yesterday and I had enough on me to cover the cost. He must have been starving though, he ate his whole big jumbo hamburger and onion rings beside. I thought it might slow him down a bit, but no siree, he was as fit as a fiddle, (must have been the onion rings) leaving the lot before I was even ready. Once I got back on the pavement I opening tripod right up, and passed him like he was standing still. Thinking that at this juncture I had lost him, I settled into a more, less ticket attracting rate, of progress, but I guess my back draft had been enough for him to utilize and so he was once more guarding my back door. At this point we had now gained the advantage or disadvantage, depends on how you look at it, of the Grand River, so we followed that pretty much back to my humble abode. And Yes!! He was nice enough to stop and wish my dearest the best, in dealing with me,,,,,,,, nice chap that Don guy, nice chap. Thanks for a great day. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Marcarl said:

Got up this morning, had breakfast and coffee, went for a walk with my best friend, and then told her I was going for a little ride. She said have a fine day darling (darling is a good term coming from her and it means that she is in agreement with my thoughts). So off I go, head to Paris Ont where it seems I pick up a hanger-on. I tell yah, that kid could ride!! I left Paris, heading for Caledonia and he stuck with me, everytime I looked back he was still there, like the plague, couldn't shake him!! After leaving Caledonia I thought I would see if I could confuse him a bit, so I turned here and turned there, never going back but always moving in a new direction. Opened the scooter up a bit to see if that would shake him, but alas, he was still on my tail. A new thought came to me, so I headed for a congested traffic area,,, that was a mistake, he must have been super scared for he stuck much closer than before, so I took to a 4 lane and beat my horse with a whip, but when I got to a resting place,,,, there he was, right beside me. We conversed for a bit, introduced ourselves to the ladies next door (who would have none of our (mine) conversation and then I proceeded to leave the area,,, maybe better luck in the next town? Hey!!! I was just trying to be a nice guy as usual, but them ladies had their mind all made up and you know how it is with mindup ladies!!! I headed for the hill country with Red still in tow (I'll call him Red for that was the color of his bike), thinking he might take a short ride down a long hill or something like that. I couldn't shake him!! I went slower and then faster, turned corners  and went somewhat straight, but he hung in there. He was good I tell yah as anyone can attest to, that has tried following me for a while, it's not an easy feat. I came up with another solution to shake him, so I tried that out, I went off track and ended up at a dead-end, but even that didn't deter him, he did wonderfully and stayed on my tail. Next I tried to run up a hill and then down the same hill, but he was so determined to stick it out I thought to take him to my secret hidey spot,,,,, that done it, he stayed well away and would not follow me there. But when I came out of my secret spot, there he was, nice and relaxed and patiently waiting for my return. By now I figured he was lost and so couldn't do without me, I had him over a barrel so to speak, so after a few more twists and turns I co-hursted him into springing for a Gelato in Fonthill Ont. From there we headed home along many river fronts and did come to a place of well repute for their preparations of things for the stomach and I thought he might need something to eat, so I suggested that to him, hoping to get him to spend some more of that hidden cash and benefit my own personal reputation of eating on somebody else's expense. No luck there, he was still full of Gelato or he was afraid I would finish the meal before he did and then might leave him lost and lonely in the wilds of Lincoln County. At this point I had given up trying to loose him, so I kept my tripod to a low roar, also figuring that at his age the long ride might be a bit more than he could handle and I would end up having to go look for a napping rider somewhere back there. A bit later, and occasionally still trying to shake him I ended up in a place of Done,, but they now call it Dunnville, I guess that's short for something, but in either case it seemed to raise up an appetite in my 'shadow' so I thought he offered to spring for my lunch. I thought that was mighty nice of him, so found a real nice roadside BBQ pit close handy, before he could change his mind. I tell yah, this guy is slick, before I knew it he had me pay my own way,, and that after me dragging him all the way around on a major sight seeing tour. Lucky it was my birthday yesterday and I had enough on me to cover the cost. He must have been starving though, he ate his whole big jumbo hamburger and onion rings beside. I thought it might slow him down a bit, but no siree, he was as fit as a fiddle, (must have been the onion rings) leaving the lot before I was even ready. Once I got back on the pavement I opening tripod right up, and passed him like he was standing still. Thinking that at this juncture I had lost him, I settled into a more, less ticket attracting rate, of progress, but I guess my back draft had been enough for him to utilize and so he was once more guarding my back door. At this point we had now gained the advantage or disadvantage, depends on how you look at it, of the Grand River, so we followed that pretty much back to my humble abode. And Yes!! He was nice enough to stop and wish my dearest the best, in dealing with me,,,,,,,, nice chap that Don guy, nice chap. Thanks for a great day. 

Sure sounds like a great day. Real sorry I had to miss it. Though I gotta say I see no mention of dirt roads. Every time I am fool enough to follow you on a ride you have me eating sand and gravel.

2 hours ago, RDawson said:

Carl found a dead end????? Who’d a thunk it😁😁😁

One?  No....he found a couple.  I learned from the first one.  We made the turn, I saw the dead end sign and stopped.  Let him know on the cb that it was a dead end but you know Carl....he kept going, saying he wanted to make sure it was a dead end.  I turned around in a driveway and waited for him to come back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saddlebum said:

Sure sounds like a great day. Real sorry I had to miss it. Though I gotta say I see no mention of dirt roads. Every time I am fool enough to follow you on a ride you have me eating sand and gravel.

He did manage to find a fresh tar/gravel road.

So...for those that want the abbreviated version of what Carl posted....

We met in Paris, took back roads to Hamilton and stopped for a short break.  Carl tried flirting with some girls (that must have been 50+ years younger than him) who looked at him then ignored him. 

Rode along Ridge Rd, down/up/down/up the escarpment (I think he was lost but wouldn't admit to it).  Stopped for gelato (he made me pay).  Rode along the canal and river....he mentioned stopping for lunch (but of course didn't offer to buy considering I paid for gelato)....

Then we went to his place where the highlight of my day was saying hello to Marca.

Still....was a very good day !

• Like 1