IGNORED

Weak fuel pump?

Here are a few more from last weekend, not as long of a drive but here is an old stone bridge. Our history here in Kansas isn't too old, so 1886 wasn't too shabby since a lot of small towns were getting developed in the late 1870's to the early to mid 1880's due to railroads being built all over the place. 

20220612_104809.jpg

20220612_104820.jpg

20220612_104822.jpg

20220612_105109.jpg

20220612_105517.jpg

20220612_105527.jpg

• Like 1

I am using the shield to hold my COPs in place by making bigger opening for them in the shield. I have read of a few guys having with the COPS grounding out to the engine by leaning against the engine. I would also verify that the COPs are fully seated on the spark plugs but it does sound like that maybe the fuel could be an issue also. Yep here in Minnesota we can buy premium non-ethanol gas for motorcycle and boats and small engines. I usually fill all my gas cans with it along with some Seafoam to help keep the gas fresh and also use it as the final fill up of a day of riding with a little Seafoam as I dont get to ride my bike daily as I have a company car for commuting to and from job sites.

Just keep riding it and enjoying it and see if things improve as you do. also a nice run thru the gears at high RPMs is very enjoyable IMHO...

Rick F.

• Like 1

January 1973,  I saw a used 73 CB750 Honda advertised for $1250 with 800 miles on it.  New price was $1499 in the winter and $1799 in the summer in my area.  I called the owner and he volunteered to take $1150.  I drove out and stood in line to test ride it.  Seemed to check out so I gave the guy a check to hold it until the next day.  Consummated the deal the next day and started it up to ride back home.  When I let out the clutch it made a strange noise.  On the ride back I stopped at a country store and bought gas.  Before I got home it was running ragged.  I was thinking that now I know why I got such a good deal.  I replaced the plugs and it made no difference.  After a while I filled up with gas again and it ran much better.  I got some bad gas.  I called the dealer shop and talked about the clutch noise and was told it was dry and to either bring it down and they would disassemble it and lube it or just ride it.  I rode it and the noise went away.  Seemed the bike was lost in a poker game and the winner traded it for a car at the body shop/used car dealer where I bought it.  

• Like 1

I did run into a snag on Sunday. Last time I had posted, we had gotten back from the ride to Neosho Falls. On Sunday, we decided to go on a small trip. I turned on the key and had nothing, no lights, no fuel pump, it was as dead as a doornail. I checked the battery and it was at 12.7 volts so that wasn't the issue. I checked the main fuse box and all the fuses were dead when the key was turned on. I started working my way back from the battery and found the main 40 amp fuse had corroded to pieces. I don't know how I made it back without blowing it on the previous day. Someone was looking out for me for sure. Also, this might have been the cause of the hiccups every now and then I am thinking / hoping. I have ordered new fuses from Partzilla but they seem to be having trouble getting the order to me. I am thinking about finding something else that will serve the same function as this fuse in the near term. I really don't feel comfortable running without fused protection in this circuit.

20220621_170318.jpg

20220619_151406.jpg

20220619_151357.jpg

I had this fuse pop at one of Freebird's Maintenance Day rallies due to a short in the aftermarket "Bling" lighting on my '83. I was able to get a replacement at an AutoZone or Checker, I don't remember for sure which one. It did require trimming the mounting tabs a bit to make it fit the holder, but worked and, as far as I know, it is still working.

Edited by luvmy40
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, luvmy40 said:

I had this fuse pop at one of Freebird's Maintenance Day rallies due to a short in the aftermarket "Bling" lighting on my '83. I was able to get a replacement at an AutoZone or Checker, I don't remember for sure which one. It did require trimming the mounting tabs a bit to make it fit the holder, but worked and, as far as I know, it is still working.

Thanks, I might have to do the same thing. I seen a fuse that was labeled as a mini ANL or something like that which was very similar. I figured some trimming might be required since the dimensions I can see where the fuse mounts up is 1.16" and mine is a little over 1".

Edited by TTrax

• 2 weeks later...

An update... have driven the bike quite awhile now and the same issue hasn't come back so far. I still have a hiccup once in great while, usually when rolling on the throttle when the engine speed is around 2K RPM or less, I will let everyone know in case it becomes more persistent or leaves me stranded. Hopefully not, but will update either way. I am positive whatever carb issue was present before has been greatly diminished or resolved so I am going to call this issue resolved.  So far I have ridden over 2K miles since the carbs have been gone over and still running strong.

I appreciate the help and insight everyone has provided and will try to leave me 2 cents on issues I think I can help with for others that are having issues. I work in technical support for an agriculture manufacturer OEM so I know how frustrating it can be for persistent problems with older equipment and how much it helps getting insight from guys that have worked in the field for awhile. 

My wife and I just got back from a trip to where we had met and ironically, the bright spot in the trip was the ride itself. The bike did great except for the neutral light staying on during the ride back, the bike got rained on during the night, even though we supposedly had a zero percent chance of rain. I rode it to work today and during the trip back the neutral light finally went out except when it was actually in neutral. I am thinking water had gotten into a connector but if the problem comes back I will be checking again.

I would much rather have the neutral light be on all the time rather than the neutral light be out all the time from what I have been seeing in the forums! Probably carbon tracking in a switch or connector or wire finding a power source where it shouldn't be from what I am seeing in the wiring diagram. If it comes back I might be making a new post but for now am enjoying riding this season compared to the last two and really appreciate the help along the way. Thanks again and hope everyone has a great riding season!

Case-Closed-PNG-Photos.png

• Like 2