IGNORED

Radio

Axman

I'm sure by this point it might be beating a dead horse with a stick, but I want to know if anyone has found a way to replace our cassette radio with something newer and bt? I still want everything to look stock but I mean come on its 2021, who even still has cassettes? I am aware of the post with the eq by freebird, but that one is kinda old and I'm hoping someone has come across some new radio that might work? Worth a shot with new and improved tech out there.

I have cassettes! This was my test last year when I bought her.

what I’m using with good results is this cassette to Bluetooth thing.

Aluratek Universal Bluetooth... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XDDHXRN?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

here’s a clip from the other week during my speaker swap using the Bluetooth adapter.

If you are ready to dig into the front fairing....here's what I did.  I took the cassette out & turned it into a small storage cubby and added a bluetooth receiver to the AUX connector inside the fairing.  The cassette player comes out as a complete assembly, with the door.  It took some patience and wriggling to get it out.  Once out, the cassette electronics has to be separated from the surrounding box as the box is what the front door attaches to.  There's a black plastic face behind the door that has the cassette opening, that needs to be kept as well.  Dremel that opening to a size that allows you to get your fingers inside but be careful to retain enough material for structural integrity.

If you are handy, it will all make sense when you dig into it.  Any BT receiver is fine, just find switched power and tap into it.  If I recall correctly, I tapped into the power going to the 12v plug on the inner fairing.  While in there, I also wired up a phone holder that converts 12v into usb power. 

Now, with a short usb cable to power the phone, I have non-stop BT streaming to the stock radio.  I use either pandora or the couple hundred tunes I have stored directly on my phone.

Could it use more power, better sound, more features?  Yes, but for me its good enough when out on the road.

2 hours ago, Freebird said:

I ended up using a "Bluestream" bluetooth device.  It plugs into the power port and then into the auxiliary jack of the cassette deck.  Worked very well on my RSV and use it now on the Harley

When did you go back to a Harley. Thought you had a 3rd gen

Over a year ago.  Don’t ride a lot now.  Sold the third gen and bought a 2008 Ultra Classic.  I’ve had it out one time this year.  Too busy. 

Well at least you got out and summers not over yet.

Edited by saddlebum

12 hours ago, circa1968 said:

If you are ready to dig into the front fairing....here's what I did.  I took the cassette out & turned it into a small storage cubby and added a bluetooth receiver to the AUX connector inside the fairing.  The cassette player comes out as a complete assembly, with the door.  It took some patience and wriggling to get it out.  Once out, the cassette electronics has to be separated from the surrounding box as the box is what the front door attaches to.  There's a black plastic face behind the door that has the cassette opening, that needs to be kept as well.  Dremel that opening to a size that allows you to get your fingers inside but be careful to retain enough material for structural integrity.

If you are handy, it will all make sense when you dig into it.  Any BT receiver is fine, just find switched power and tap into it.  If I recall correctly, I tapped into the power going to the 12v plug on the inner fairing.  While in there, I also wired up a phone holder that converts 12v into usb power. 

Now, with a short usb cable to power the phone, I have non-stop BT streaming to the stock radio.  I use either pandora or the couple hundred tunes I have stored directly on my phone.

Could it use more power, better sound, more features?  Yes, but for me its good enough when out on the road.

Thanks! I will definitely give this a try. If you have any pictures to go along with it, it would help but no biggie if not.