IGNORED

New RSV Rider - Saddle problems

So I picked the bike today... super happy with the condition and overall fit and finish with one horrible exception... I am 6'4" and 260 pounds... the seat is so restrictive and close to the tank and tight to the floorboards and even to the highway Pegs that I am all scrunched up with my balls polishing the tank... the installed backrest is not helping by forcing me upright and forward... I am going to remove the backrest and try again, but I think this will be a marginal fix... any other Royal Star Venture riders experience this lack of space with the stock seat??? This bike does not have the buttoned pillow-top seats, they are pictured below... you can see how high the saddle sweeps upward at the rear and it also sweeps upward at the front, leaving very little wiggle room... does anyone have suggestions for increasing the available space???

$_59.jpeg-9.jpg

$_59.jpeg-3.jpg

The Crobin does not appear to be an improvement... you can see that it has the same profile, with lots of up-sweep front and back. I think I need to find some way or some saddle that raises the center height a couple to three inches to level out the seat for more shifting space forward and back... any ideas?

vent_t.jpg

Don't know about Rick, but a message to him through this forum would be appropriate. He did my VStar seat and did a great job!

As far as seats, the normal pillow seat would be the best bet for you. All the others, push you forward...includes Mustang, Corbin, etc..

It's also quite comfortable. I'm 225 and 5'10" and can go all day on it.

Your pegs could use some extensions....as you can see on my RSV, I have mine adjusted rearward. By just moving the mount 180 degrees I could gain about 4 more inches.

Hope this helps....

26605.jpeg

Edited by videoarizona
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, videoarizona said:

Don't know about Rick, but a message to him through this forum would be appropriate. He did my VStar seat and did a great job!

As far as seats, the normal pillow seat would be the best bet for you. All the others, push you forward...includes Mustang, Corbin, etc..

It's also quite comfortable. I'm 225 and 5'10" and can go all day on it.

Your pegs could use some extensions....as you can see on my RSV, I have mine adjusted rearward. By just moving the mount 180 degrees I could gain about 4 more inches.

Hope this helps....

26605.jpeg

Thanks, my highway Pegs are changing, I am stripping a pair of my Road Star to replace them. The pillow top seat may help, but I absolutely hate the look of them, and also, it always looks as though the button recesses will act as little swimming pools to gather water... these are just uninformed observations as I have never tried the pillow-top seats. I messaged Rick before posting and his inbox had a notice that he cannot receive messages... maybe his inbox is full or he is no longer an active member???

Check with Mike Eykamp @eusa1, I think he's about same size as you and I think he might use the corbin.  I'm ~5'9 and first thing I noticed is the back part of the corbin that rises up is further back from the front of the bike, which changed my reach to the bars.  I installed 2" Rox risers and now have a perfect fit/reach.  Also, just as fyi, the corbin does sit you down lower closer to the ground.  I needed that for flat footing and anything that lowers the center of gravity on the RSV is a bonus, to me.

Another idea, if you have a nearby upholstery shop is to buy a 2nd stock seat on ebay, rip off the cover and experiment w/ foam adds/subtractions, then when you have what works, get it recovered.

Rick Butler is still doing them, but not on the forum often.  Just shipped my pillowtop this morning for him to build it up some.  Very reasonable pricing.

His email is rick_butler@verizon.net.

Get with him and see if he can do anything with that style seat.  I assume it is the same base foam without the pillow top.

1 hour ago, OutKast said:

Rick Butler is still doing them, but not on the forum often.  Just shipped my pillowtop this morning for him to build it up some.  Very reasonable pricing.

His email is rick_butler@verizon.net.

Get with him and see if he can do anything with that style seat.  I assume it is the same base foam without the pillow top.

Thank you sir... I will send him an email.

So, I made contact with Mark at Diamond Seats in FL... Mark was pretty confident that he could get me two inches higher and four inches back, which I figure is about what I need... he is going to contour it better for my fat azz too... 6-8 weeks delivery sucks but I am happy to have a light at the end of the tunnel on my seat comfort issues... a poor seat is a shitty reason to sell a nice bike. I will report back to this thread once I have tried the seat out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hoytcanon said:

So, I made contact with Mark at Diamond Seats in FL... Mark was pretty confident that he could get me two inches higher and four inches back, which I figure is about what I need... he is going to contour it better for my fat azz too... 6-8 weeks delivery sucks but I am happy to have a light at the end of the tunnel on my seat comfort issues... a poor seat is a shitty reason to sell a nice bike. I will report back to this thread once I have tried the seat out.

I had a Diamond Custom on my '83 and my '86. Great seat! The factory pillow top works great for me on my RSV, but I don't think you'll be disapointed with the Diamond Custom.

ETA: I am no where near you in stature. I'm 5'9" and 200 lb.

Edited by luvmy40