IGNORED

Picked Up A Nail

I noticed this yesterday, when I left in the afternoon for an errand.   First thing I noticed is what looked like white chalk.   Upon looking closer, my heart just dropped. ☹️☹️☹️  A similar thing happened to my RSV about 4 years ago and I ended up replacing the rear tire.  

I’ll try to pull the nail out later today and see if it is leaking or not.  The tire is not loosing air, so I am hoping the penetration is superficial.   

8DE4801B-8A86-41C3-98FE-0C2F7004035F.jpeg

Edited by N3FOL

After you pull the nail gently probe the hole to see how deep it goes and try to see if you can feel or maybe see any exposed cord material. if you feel fully confident that the tire has not been compromised in any way fill the hole with some vulcanizing compound to seal it from providing further entry of any foreign material. If you have any doubt as to the integrity of the tire play it safe and replace it. 

I pulled out the nail this afternoon and it looked like the nail went in a little sideways.   Because of that, at least an inch of the nail went in.  It was a pretty long nail…. Once removed, air came out 🥲

Today, I was still able to ride and used my very dependable ‘07 RSV.  Tomorrow, I plan to take off everything in the rear to get to the rear wheel.  This is my first time doing this, so I will need all the help I can get.  I really can’t feel any cord per se, so I think the tire is repairable.  Perhaps a patch inside????   

Once I remove the tire, I’ll have the shop assess it.  🤞 For now, I’ll be reading and shopping for a new rear tire to save time.  

649D8AE2-36D5-4D8F-89DE-ACC4441E5A4C.jpeg

Might not be a popular response, but a few years ago, I simply plugged mine old school style, kit from Walmart, and it worked fine.  Not like it's going to blow up, it would just leak air slowly.  Taking and having a professional patch put in is better. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, N3FOL said:

I pulled out the nail this afternoon and it looked like the nail went in a little sideways.   Because of that, at least an inch of the nail went in.  It was a pretty long nail…. Once removed, air came out 🥲

Today, I was still able to ride and used my very dependable ‘07 RSV.  Tomorrow, I plan to take off everything in the rear to get to the rear wheel.  This is my first time doing this, so I will need all the help I can get.  I really can’t feel any cord per se, so I think the tire is repairable.  Perhaps a patch inside????   

Once I remove the tire, I’ll have the shop assess it.  🤞 For now, I’ll be reading and shopping for a new rear tire to save time.  

649D8AE2-36D5-4D8F-89DE-ACC4441E5A4C.jpeg

If they do repair it make sure the hole gets filled as well you do not want water and other debris getting in the hole.

Recently, the tire industry has new guidelines on auto tire repairs. A patch is no longer the go to. Instead they say a "plug patch" is what needs to be done. Now whether that goes for motorcycle tires to IDK. The reasoning behind is to keep as mentioned "crap" out and not corrode the steel belts. But we are in a different construction with fabric belts. A plug is not acceptable in auto industry, but I like many have drove many a mile on plugged tires, same on a bike. But I prefer a patch for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, djh3 said:

Recently, the tire industry has new guidelines on auto tire repairs. A patch is no longer the go to. Instead they say a "plug patch" is what needs to be done. Now whether that goes for motorcycle tires to IDK. The reasoning behind is to keep as mentioned "crap" out and not corrode the steel belts. But we are in a different construction with fabric belts. A plug is not acceptable in auto industry, but I like many have drove many a mile on plugged tires, same on a bike. But I prefer a patch for sure.

My understanding is that BOTH are the way to go. The hole is plugged and a patch over that on the inside.

7 hours ago, SpencerPJ said:

Might not be a popular response, but a few years ago, I simply plugged mine old school style, kit from Walmart, and it worked fine.  Not like it's going to blow up, it would just leak air slowly.  Taking and having a professional patch put in is better. 

@SpencerPJ I like your suggestion on plugging the hole for  now.  I do have a plug kit that I bought over a year ago.  This rear tire still has good tread and only has a little over 7K miles.  I really hate throwing it away.  One good advantage on the SVTC is that it gives us real time tire pressure monitoring...I just have to remember to always take along the portable air pump.  The other option is to simply replace the tire and be done with it.  This is my dilemma.  :think:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChiefGunner said:

My understanding is that BOTH are the way to go. The hole is plugged and a patch over that on the inside.

I agree, I like the plug and patch route.  I'll be posting updates and developments of the repair as soon as I make up my mind what to do with the tire repair.  Thank You All for your guidance!  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, djh3 said:

Definitely a plug patch is the way to go but if the entry is too steep of an angle than plug 1st buff flat on the inside and then place the proper patch. 

• Like 1

Another thing to think about is you’re going to have it off, is it worth putting it back together with a worn tire? My thought process is replace now and you won’t have to go through it again for a while. When I figure in my labor time the cost of 1/2 a tire life becomes pretty cheap. 

I would spray some soapy water on the hole which will help you detect even a small leak.  If no leak, then like mentioned above, squirt some vulcanizing compound in it and keep on riding.  Looks like you have lots of tread left.

@RDawson I agree.  I spoke to Yamaha's field service advisor for the east region and he said to change the tire in a heartbeat.  I also called my trusted yamaha shop and they said replace the tire.  I will be ordering the tire today and will remove the wheel tomorrow.  As I think about it more and more, is it worth saving a few dollars....you guys know what I mean.  My wife ultimately said, go buy a new tire. 

• Like 1

okay my two cents on this one is some times a plug does more damage than the nail, now I understand the tire is being replaced with a new one and than without a doubt is the right thing to do. but just for the sake of discussion the way that nail was in there a patch on the inside would have been better than plugging it because when the hole was reamed out in order to insert the plug or plug part of the patch it would have been bigger and more importantly it would have broken some cords in the tire therefore making the tire unsafe. Happy and safe riding to you.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Woody said:

okay my two cents on this one is some times a plug does more damage than the nail, now I understand the tire is being replaced with a new one and than without a doubt is the right thing to do. but just for the sake of discussion the way that nail was in there a patch on the inside would have been better than plugging it because when the hole was reamed out in order to insert the plug or plug part of the patch it would have been bigger and more importantly it would have broken some cords in the tire therefore making the tire unsafe. Happy and safe riding to you.

Not entirely true depending on the quality of the plug it is better to plug and seal the hole than let water and debris enter the whole specially if salt is involved as the cords are more inclined to fail from rot or corrosion then having a few strands severed.

As a person who involved in fleet maintenance and  has installed several hundred plugs In 50 years of dealing with tires, I can honestly say it depends on the plug. I always use the Techcan plugs and have never had a failure despite not patching on the inside.  The prep tool for these is not a reamer but actually spreads an opening in the cord for the plug. The supplier I got my tire supplies from demonstrated them by jamming them in the side wall of his steer tire (a definite no no but did prove his point. by the time he wore the tires out he had 250 plugs in it. I even have doubled up the plugs in large holes and they never had one fail running the tires out to the end of their usefull life.

Now having said all that I would not use a plug or a patch alone on a motorcycle if possible. Experience has taught me it is always best to do both. if it is a straight in hole I would use a one piece plug patch. but if the hole is on an angle I would plug 1st then buff and patch the inside.

• Thanks 1

I had a similar puncture on my RSV once. About 3 to 5k. Picked up a bolt and angle sucked. Lucky I was right by a maintenance shop for a sod company. I had the C02 inflator but it couldnt even get enough air in it to start to inflating. I had to put 2 plugs in it to get home.  It was about a 3/4" hole, that tire went by by.

• Sad 1

@djh3 Glad to know that you were able to get home with a plug and you happen to be right by a maintenance shop.  It also happened to my RSV a number of years ago and now my SVTC.  On both occasions, I discovered the nail while parked in the garage.  I guess I got lucky twice now.  Ride safe