IGNORED

New owner of a 1996 royal star, running issues.

Hey everyone, just joined the page and introduced myself in the other section.  Figured id pop in here for some advice.  Just picked up a 1996 royal star yesterday.  Wasnt actively seeking one out, I buy and sell motorcycles and this was my latest purchase.  Bought from the original owner which I didnt know until seeing the bike.  Has 16.5k miles and is in amazing shape.  Not perfect but shows very well.  Especially after ive spent some hours detailing it.  Still a little more polishing to go.  

So it was an ad of Facebook marketplace, I messaged and got some info.  Was told it hasn't really been ridden in like 3 or so years but owner claimed he used ethanol free fuel from a nearby gas station, he may of even mentioned getting it from the local small airfield.  And also claimed to use additives while it sat through the winter.  He said it was start from time to time and that it was a good runner.  Bike did fire right up from cold but quickly noticed some popping from the right rear cylinder, it did calm a little as the bike warmed.

Off choke It would idle but was hesitant when giving throttle.  I was like damn this probably needs carb work. Owner kept insisting it just needed to be ridden but ive heard that 100 times lol.  I was going to pass on it but being so clean I said screw it and bought it.  And rode it an hour and 10 minutes home.  Luckily mostly highway do was easy to keep the revs up.  But comming off stops I had to feather the throttle and slip the clutch a good bit just to get it to take off.  Some popping on decel as well.  Ive never ridden one of these before so im not sure how a perfectly running bike operates.

I put a few ounces of seafoam in the tank and figure id try and take for a ride today.  Fired right up just like yesterday and took off with about the same struggles as well.  But it then became harder to keep running at stops and take offs.  Only once I was moving could I really get on it.  Quickly took it back home so I wouldn't get stranded.  Installed new spark plugs today gapped per manual specs I found online.  Have a new fuel filter on the way that should arrive Tuesday.  Filled the tank and put more seafoam in but won't run it again until the new fuel filter is in.

Probably safe to assume it will need carb work but thats a bummer as ill quickly lose any profits when selling this bike if it comes to that.  I know its a long shot hoping the plugs and fuel filter along with seafoam help.  Im thinking next step would be a carb sync?  Ive done it before but not on a setup like this.  I also don't currently have the tool.  Might try to find someone local who can come to the house and sync them for me, hopefully someone with experience on this setup and not a random fella that's done it a few times and can probably figure it out lol otherwise id just go for it.  Im glad I at least got to ride it home.  Hoping to get it running a little better which would help with resale.  Otherwise ill just have to hope for a small profit based on what I payed and a thorough detail im giving it.  Any advice would be awesome.  Heres some pictures I took today.  Still some polishing to do but getting there.

20210613_154640.jpg

20210613_154646.jpg

20210613_154658.jpg

20210613_154704.jpg

9 hours ago, Marcarl said:

Don't be cheap, throw in the whole can of seafoam, run it for 15-20 minutes, let it sit overnight, same thing again. If that don't work, pull the carbs, or do a hot shot.

Don't be surprised if with the whole can of seafoam in the fuel it runs a little off and maybe smokes some when you take it for a run the next day. This is normal but once you run the tank close to empty and refill with fresh fuel it will clear up. I also suggest when you do run out that first tank full, delay your shifts  and keep your RPMS to the high side I found this seems to help the cleaning process.

I have also found the symptoms you mentioned are not uncommon with these bikes after sitting for a while it may not hurt to take the air cleaner off and spray the throat and slides with some seafoam as well and if possible manually reach down and carefully slide the barrels to make sure they are not sticking.

Edited by saddlebum

I used up what I had left of a can of seafoam.  Might be 6oz in the tank currently with a couple gallons of fresh fuel.  I want to get the new fuel filter in before running it again.  New plugs are in and gapped.  Old ones were definitely old but seemed to be burning well.  I know plug chops aren't as reliable as they once were due to fuel quality and whatnot.

I'll also pull the tank today and check out the air filter and whatnot since I won't see the fuel filter until tomorrow.  If none of these easy things help clear up the issue I won't be pulling the carbs.  That will kill any profit margin which was the goal of the bike.  Its cleaning up beautifully and im sure I can still make something based on its condition, lower miles, extras on the bike and extras off the bike.

Whats a hot shot?  Ive cleaned many carbs before but never from a v4 configuration.  Either single like my roadstar or a bank of 4 from and inline 4 cylinder.  Ill also have the carbs synced after all this little stuff is done.  Ive tried to find a good walk though for syncing but may have someone do it for me.  Id love to ride this thing, just not worth taking it out with how hesitant it is down low at the moment.  Fingers crossed though that its clears up even a little Lol.

I think "Hot shot" is referring to The Pucster's Shot Gun method. Basically, run the carbs dry(petcock off) and fill the carbs with Berrymans or Seafoam with a syringe through the drain valves. Let this sit for a bit and then ride it like you stole it.

2 hours ago, luvmy40 said:

I think "Hot shot" is referring to The Pucster's Shot Gun method. Basically, run the carbs dry(petcock off) and fill the carbs with Berrymans or Seafoam with a syringe through the drain valves. Let this sit for a bit and then ride it like you stole it.

Close enough and might even work.

@cowpuc put a drain tube on the carb bowl drain, opened the screw, drained the carbs, then shot some carb cleaner up intro the bowl through the tube. Filled the bowl with carb cleaner.

I believed this was/is his method for cleaning up junk in carbs that have been sitting...

He should chime in at some point!

D

I will be pulling the tank off today, I have a can of seafoam on hand and can inject some info each bowl and let sit.  Drain and repeat.  I will install the new fuel filter today and let it run a while and do that in cycles.  Ill attempt a ride if by some miracle the off idle issues clear up a little.  I just overhauled the carb on my rosdstar, gotta love a single carb bike lol.

So I pulled the tank and airbox lid off.  Air filter could stand to be replaced but thats not an issue now.  Slides all move freely, are they suppost to return quickly when pushed up?  I pulled the outer caps off and the springs and diaphragms look okay.  One slide, the left rear cylinder seems to hang up just a little but does return.  Will do what I can until the new fuel filter arrives and will run the bike this afternoon.  Have plenty of seafoam in the tank so hoping it helps even a little.

Ive run the bike in 15-20 increments since doing the little work ive mentioned above.  And after sitting overnight i ran it again this morning and took for a very short ride.  Still some popping from right side pipes mainly the rear cylinder I believe.  And hesitant to take off but I can get the revs up and it will go and once moving it pulls hard.  Is it possibly a carb sync could help this situation?  Would be the next easy and cheaper option before working on the carbs themselves which ive decided i wont be doing.  Not sure how much it would be to have someone do a sync for me, id need a mobil mechanic to come to the bike and prefer them to have worked on these carbs before.  Would be nice to smooth things out even a little bit from where it is now.

On 6/16/2021 at 9:20 AM, eskimo619 said:

Ive run the bike in 15-20 increments since doing the little work ive mentioned above.  And after sitting overnight i ran it again this morning and took for a very short ride.  Still some popping from right side pipes mainly the rear cylinder I believe.  And hesitant to take off but I can get the revs up and it will go and once moving it pulls hard.  Is it possibly a carb sync could help this situation?  Would be the next easy and cheaper option before working on the carbs themselves which ive decided i wont be doing.  Not sure how much it would be to have someone do a sync for me, id need a mobil mechanic to come to the bike and prefer them to have worked on these carbs before.  Would be nice to smooth things out even a little bit from where it is now.

You can do it yourself,, at least you'll know it was done and not just looked at. We can/will help you.

On 6/16/2021 at 9:20 AM, eskimo619 said:

As long as it feels like it won't quit Take it for a good run You might be pleasantly surprised. start by circling the block a few times and if it is acceptable go for a good run. My bike acts up every spring and then clears up after a good run and then she is good for the rest of the season

I use a mixture of Seafoam and Stabil at every fill up, keep in an old Stabil bottle in the saddlebag.

Mix both together at recommended rates.

Never have any issues if the bike sets for any length of time or over winter.
In addition, I also almost always use non-ethanol gas.

I try to start it at least once a month over winter and run until warmed up.

Argo

I took it for 2 slightly longer rides yesterday and it seems to be doing a little better but not amazing.  Take offs from a stop get easier and take less revs to get moving but still hesitant.  Once moving the bike pulls hard.  I hit the highway and it got right up to 90mph effortlessly.  But at idle it pops a bit mainly from the right rear cylinder and on decel it pops a bit.  I do have a few interested buyers but if it doesnt sell by the end of the weekend I'll try and at least get around to a carb sync as I feel that could help a bit.

• 1 year later...

Hey, I know Im late to the party I just joined. Beautiful bike! I just picked up a 97 and would like to have the mufflers that turn out the side. Any idea on where to get them? By the way if you havent got your carbs fixed I just pulled mine and took them to and old bike shop here. They had green goo inside. Rebuilt all 4 and cleaned tank. Went back with 93 non ethonol and she crisp on and off the throttle. 

Thanks in advance.

23 hours ago, John Boat said:

Hey, I know Im late to the party I just joined. Beautiful bike! I just picked up a 97 and would like to have the mufflers that turn out the side. Any idea on where to get them? By the way if you havent got your carbs fixed I just pulled mine and took them to and old bike shop here. They had green goo inside. Rebuilt all 4 and cleaned tank. Went back with 93 non ethonol and she crisp on and off the throttle. 

Thanks in advance.

This post will get lost in this forum, best ask the question in the Watering Hole.

• 7 months later...

This feel funny to find but im the new owner of the bike and if anyone is curious about this still it was indeed a carb sync problem but also the idle was turned upto the moon. Have since taken off the bags and changed the turn signal bar.