IGNORED

(Just slightly) OFF TOPIC QUESTION

Semi-retired

I just brought home my latest acquisition....and I picked her up for a mere $699!!

Nope, not a Gen 1 or even a "basket case" Gen 2.

What I bought was a new PERGOLA from Lowes!

Before you get upset with me for bringing up something TOTALLY non-bike-related....the sooner you guys help me get this thing assembled (under strict orders from she-who-must-be-obeyed), the sooner I CAN get riding. You get it, I'm sure.

Here's the question:

The manufacturer themselves warns that "The steel components for this pergola are treated with rust inhibiting paint that protects it from rusting. HOWEVER...due to the nature of steel, surface oxidation (rusting) WILL occur. (My emphasis, yes, but I'm sure their copywriter WOULD have done it if he thought he wouldn't get fired!)

They go on to say "don't scratch it during assembly"....but/and when you DO, "a very light application of regular cooking oil" can remove the rust.

I'd rather not get into "cooking" the paint....OR, the nuts and bolts holding this thing together.

Do I hear any suggestions for "RUST PREVENTION" during assembly?
WD?
Silicone grease?
Aforementioned "cooking oil"? (I'm not averse to following "orders" LOL)
Unobrustium?

I'm not opposed to the idea that the nuts and bolts might need something different from "larger expanses" of metal. (Some of the comments on Lowes' site suggest that every metal-on-metal contact point should be treated with SOMETHING.)

Any and ALL thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks, guys!

(https://www.lowes.ca/product/pergolas/allen-roth-11614-in-w-x-11614-in-l-x-943-in-h-tanblack-material-freestanding-pergola-canopy-included-878763)

I'll second that Fluid Film comment, but one better, though a little more visible is Chain Wax, can be bought at your local MC dealer. Made by Maxima Racing Lubricants.

Some years ago my son bought an Astro van and while parked at our place I noticed a fairly large rust spot on the front wheel well. I had a can of chain wax in my hand and gave that spot a shot of wax. Those vans were known to loose some paint here and there, especially on the right front wheel well, and so shortly thereafter another spot appeared on the left side. I did not wax that side. A few years (2 or3) I happened to check the results. Left side rotted through and right side still intact, although less pretty than before.

Chain Wax

Bill, Dennis, Carl......thanks very much for the input.

As usual....you've provided a great variety of suggestions.....so much so that I can probably perform a "product shootout" and do a formal REVIEW a couple of years from now.

Between the rust inhibitors and the nice "related" comment about anti-UV for the sunshade!...you've probably, as a TEAM, just doubled the life expectancy of my "rig".

Thanks, again, as usual!

As far as anything you can do to prevent scratches all I can say is be careful.  But to fix scratches I second touch up paint.  And if I can find it I’ll be trying my first application of fluid film soon.  

I know I’m a newbie here but I interpret the Watering Hole as a place for all topics 😜

Edited by Pasta Burner

15 minutes ago, Pasta Burner said:

I'm with you on "I interpret the Watering Hole as a place for all topics"

Bikes.....anywhere else. Life in general.......right here at the old watering hole!!

Just picked up the ole Fluid Film......and they "got me" right off the bat by saying "USE SPARINGLY" under directions for use.

No instructions ever touched an Irish/Scotsman's heart so warmly!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Semi-retired said:

A little goes a long way, and a long way needs only a little.

The less you use the better you're off, and the better you're off the less you'll use.

If you can barely see it you have enough, and if you have enough you can barely see it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marcarl said:

A little goes a long way, and a long way needs only a little.

The less you use the better you're off, and the better you're off the less you'll use.

If you can barely see it you have enough, and if you have enough you can barely see it.

From the true and official office of the organization of redundancy department, herein referred to as TOOORD. 😉