IGNORED

Shorter Windsheilds, show me!

10Power

I just purchased my 2010 RSV, windshield is 17”, I am looking for a much shorter one...I like the blacked out ones as well,  looking for some air in my face.

Show me your windshield and why if you want....

CFADC16C-79C7-4698-99E6-E2BAC491C8E5.jpeg

I don't recommend it.  This pic is of my bike right after I bought it.  The previous owner put the shorty on it.  The buffeting was so bad at highway speeds that it literally made my eyeballs vibrate and gave me a horrendous headache on the 1,000 mile trip we took.  When we got back I couldn't get that windshield replaced fast enough!

IMG_20191030_204853_01.jpg

• Like 1

I replaced it with the tallest, widest one I could find, with a vent in the middle.  When I want air in my face, I open the vent.  When I don't, I close the vent.  I have been very pleased with it, it eliminated the buffeting, even for the passenger.

Compressed IMG_20191223_160836.jpg

Compressed IMG_20191223_161416.jpg

Compressed IMG_20191223_161901.jpg

7 hours ago, MonsterBiker said:

I replaced it with the tallest, widest one I could find, with a vent in the middle.  When I want air in my face, I open the vent.  When I don't, I close the vent.  I have been very pleased with it, it eliminated the buffeting, even for the passenger.

Compressed IMG_20191223_160836.jpg

Compressed IMG_20191223_161416.jpg

Compressed IMG_20191223_161901.jpg

What is the make of that windsheild??

9 hours ago, MonsterBiker said:

I think I have the same one, from F4 customs, without the vent.  Wish I had the vent. 

I like the windshield height to be just tall enough so that if I sit up straight I see over the top edge of it  ..

I have found that if you  paint or tint the lower half of the windshield it will help to stop the head light glare from the head lights caused by oncoming cars at night

The led lights on the new cars seem to present a larger problem or maybe what they need is a proper alignment

I make my own using Lexan

Edited by larrydr
spelling errors
  • Thanks 1

I have a shorter one I got from @Wizard765 a few years ago that is just a little over eye level . There doesn't seem to cause turbulence at all and only have to look up a little to see better when it rains. Taller one was horrible when driving in rain especially since I drove all the time to work etc.   before  I retired last year( 2012 with 108,000klms)

I had a bagger shield, and really liked it. Great around town when in shorty mode, but I did get some buffeting on the highway and it was not great at all for the passenger. But with the clear top portion in the up position it provided ample wind protection for myself and the passenger. Unfortunately a garage incident left it broken and i had to go back to stock.

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG

When I purchased my '99 it had the same "super sized" windshield on it and I hated looking through it.  I purchased an inexpensive e-Bay 10" shield that was just below my nose (I'm 6'2) and HATED that thing.... Yes I could see over it but the wind management was horrible and I couldn't ride more than an hour without getting a headache.  If I had to wear a full-face helmet it would shake me so bad I couldn't go above 45mph.  I ended up getting a 19" clearview (they measure the height different) and it's just above my nose but I can easily see over it.  The shield has a recurve to it so the top rolls up steeper than the rest of the shield and pushes the wind up and over your head, I also have the vent which eliminates the low pressure behind the fairing and smooths out the airflow.

I don't have any good photos, but here's one during installation.

2018-05-04 20.32.39.jpg

1 hour ago, GrahamLFCkeeper said:

I read helmet shape and style can affect buffering.

This very true. I have had helmets were the buffeting varied from helmet to helmet. One was so severe that I had a sore neck and returned the Helmet the next day (fortunately it was one of those bike shops that would refund your helmet if not satisfied and not damaged or marked ) and I have  helmets that resulted in no buffeting at all. All while riding with a cut down windshield.

• Like 2