IGNORED

Buzzing noise and won't start

Went to start up my '83 Venture this morning and initially started (partial choke as always) then seemed to struggle and died. There was a buzzing noise from what seemed to be the left side. Started it up again and tried to start but acted like it was starving for fuel. Buzzing persisted. Tried a third time and same result. Turned off the key but when I turned the key back on the buzzing started again. Thoughts?

Yesterday I had increased the idle and turned it back down a bit (overshot) but it ran great during an evening ride. I replaced the fuel filter on Monday. No liquids on the floor. I noticed last night the previous owner had applied electrical tape on the hose as indicated on the pic. I pulled the tape off & it looked like the outer layers of the hose had been sheared off (from pulling with pliers?) and I simply reapplied a fresh electrical tape. Other than those Items I've done little recently and other than carb issues when cold it's been running fine.

Admittedly I haven't had time to troubleshoot but any thoughts? Thx in advance.

Engine.jpg

Probably a better description would be the fast ticking so perhaps that's the culprit. Honestly that was my first suspicion (fuel pump) but I had 1 bar left on the gauge last night. I was letting the fuel deplete so I could put B12 in a fresh tank of gas. I ran Seafoam through the last tank and didn't want to mix the 2. I guess the simplest explanation would be the smartest to address! I'm just hoping I didn't affect the fuel pump when I replaced the fuel filter although that was days ago after numerous rides. Thx, @Marcarl.

Fast clicking when you first turn the key on is normal. once the float bowls in the carb's are filled to there proper level the clicking should either stop or drop to an occasional click. If my bike has sat for a long spell like over winter I often wait for the clicking to stop or drop off before starting the bike. If the clicking continues for too long then you may have an issue such as fuel line leak. needle valve and/or float stuck in open position or low fuel tank. You say you have one bar left but if the shut off is in normal run position versus being in the reserve position the fuel could be low enough in the tank for the pump to suck air instead of fuel and thus continue running.

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1

My OCD is kicking in... when I replaced the fuel filter I turned the petcock to off and back after completion but should I keep it on reserve for that specific reason, @saddlebum? I know it's hard to turn the petcock but I was able to do so with pliers. Thx again, gentlemen!

Sorry, one more question before I forget, what is the hose that was "repaired" with electrical tape? It looks to be a pain to replace due to tightness but want to make sure it's not going to bite me in the rear in the future. Thx agn.

Really not sure what it is since it was not used on the MK2 86 - 93. Where does the other end go? If tied into the cooling system it could be an aireation hose to allow trapped air to escape the cooling system or if going to the bottom of the air cleaner it could be a crankcase ventilation line. Since only electrical tape was used I would probably rule out it being involved with the cooling system. Someone with a MK1 83-85 may have a better idea.

Quick update. Went home over lunch & filled the tank. I switched the petcock to reserve. The pump (I assume now) kicked on again and eventually shut off. Tried to start and initially acted like it was going to turn over then nothing. Kept trying and pump would kick on for a short time but after trying to start it repeatedly no more pump noise. Unfortunately she's not even trying to turn over now. Grrr...

@saddlebum, the hose didn't go to the bottom of the air cleaner but went in the direction of the radiator. I assumed it was some kind of unpressurized hose as it's very pliable. The interior appears intact so I'll probably leave it for now but wanted to make sure it wasn't a factor in the startup issues.

My 83 likes to start, then get the choke applied.  Almost sounds like you fouled your spark plugs? One last thing, first start in the spring, sometimes I have to remove the air cleaner, small shot of starting fluid, and away she fires.

Edited by SpencerPJ
  • Like 1

I was worried I'd flooded it as I tried minimal choke like I normally do and tried hammering it down. Hoping letting it settle until after work will resolve it. I replaced the plugs about 3 weeks ago but should I pull them and check them out, @SpencerPJ? PITA but willing to do so if recommended (and time doesn't resolve the issue). Might try the starting fluid option too.

Thankfully last owner recently replaced the battery but I'm afraid you're right, @Marcarl. She was still strong but I could tell it was starting to circle the drain. 

Sorry I'm asking basic questions, gentlemen but appreciate your input!

Might be enough battery to run the fuel pump but not enough for the starter, so check the voltage, when sitting and when you push the start button. Also check that the emergency switch is turned to run, the kickstand is up, the clutch is pulled.

• Like 1

I guess if nothing else this gives other "boneheads" the affirmation they're not the only ones out there! While I'm not sure what solved it, I topped off the fuel tank, switched the petcock back to "on", charged the battery, squirted small amount of starting fluid in carbs, put it on the center stand, confirmed emergency switch not activated, pulled the clutch and yes, she started. I've not pulled the tank before but it appears the fuel exits the tank on the right and as I had it on the side stand with a low level of fuel I'm ashamed to say this is likely one of those "doh!" moments. ("I can't believe this guy bought a 38 year old bike!!!")

Thx agn, guys. Switching out the shift segment this weekend so I'll apologize in advance for the future questions! 

16 hours ago, Marcarl said:

Some 'boneheads' get to experience the celebratory occasions more than once, sometimes many times,,,, ask @Saddlebum how I know. And I will not admit to any or all accusations.

They say you learn more from your mistakes then your successes.

All I will say is @Marcarlhas had quite a learning curve :big-grin-emoticon:

Edited by saddlebum
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, JFootman said:

The hose didn't go to the bottom of the air cleaner but went in the direction of the radiator. I assumed it was some kind of unpressurized hose as it's very pliable. The interior appears intact so I'll probably leave it for now but wanted to make sure it wasn't a factor in the startup issues.

So it likely is an areation line this is to assist removal of air pockets in the cooling system. The system holds about 14 PSI and though that hose may look flimsy it is still capable of carrying the pressure within the cooling system. If you plan on still using that hose I would replace the electrical tape with splicing tape also known as magic tape. this is a highly stretchy tape and is self vulcanizing. stretch it to about half its width while wrapping it. then cover with friction tape also known as hockey stick tape to protect and reinforce it.

• Like 1