IGNORED

Just bought Gen 2 Venture

ItsLunchBOX

Last Saturday I purchased a 2008 Venture with just under 50k miles. I have noticed that above 65mph it seems a little buzzy and seems to lack some get up and go. In reading through the forum, it seems like carb sync should be my first steps. In speaking with the gentleman I bought the bike from, it did sit for about 2 years other than running it once a month for 15 minutes or so. 

Because of sitting, I’m also thinking I should run some sea foam through it and replace the spark plugs. Am I missing anything else obvious I should look at?

thanks in advance!

Your thinking is spot on. Take half a can of seafoam in a full tank of fuel and take a nice long ride. The sync never hurts anything and throwing a set of us in is a good start on maintenance you know has been accomplished.

• Like 1

Carb synch, plugs and seafoam sound like a solid start to the trouble shooting, also make sure the original owner did not remove the weights on the ends of the handle bars, if those have been removed the bars can get some vibrations in them.

As far as lacking get up and go, remember this V-4 like to produce power at high RPMs and both 4th and 5th gears are overdrive gears. If you are tooling along at 65 in 5th gear and try to accelerate quickly it will not respond like a V-twin. If you  to get out and pass someone or just want to go faster quickly drop down to 4th or even 3rd and give it some gas. The bike actually performs best in 3rd gear, if you have not tried it, get on the road and while in 3rd gear, give as much gas as you like it may surprise you how quick it is.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, M61A1MECH said:

As far as lacking get up and go, remember this V-4 like to produce power at high RPMs and both 4th and 5th gears are overdrive gears. If you are tooling along at 65 in 5th gear and try to accelerate quickly it will not respond like a V-twin. If you  to get out and pass someone or just want to go faster quickly drop down to 4th or even 3rd and give it some gas. The bike actually performs best in 3rd gear, if you have not tried it, get on the road and while in 3rd gear, give as much gas as you like it may surprise you how quick it is.

This ^^^

This was an adjustment for me moving from the 2,053cc V-twin I used to ride where the power band was at much lower RPMs.  This V-4 is much happier at higher revs.  Assuming it is running correctly, you will find it has no lack of power once you figure out where the power band is.

• Like 2

First and foremost, congratulations on your acquisition of the 2008 RSV.  It is a very nice bike to say the least.  You have come to the right place for information and anything that you want to share regarding your 2nd gen RSV.  I would like to add, since your bike has been sitting for 2 years, plan on bleeding your brakes anytime soon.  An oil change should be on top of your list.  Welcome and enjoy the bike...:7_6_3[1]:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I should update this. I ran seafoam through the system, replaced spark plugs, cleaned air filters, oil and filter change, adjusted the idle (it was too low)  and did a carb sync. Tremendous improvement to how she is running/performing. 

• Like 2

I think this is all I’ll do for the summer. Winter I will flush the coolant system, replace brake pads and replace the brake fluid and any hoses that look suspect. 

Edit to add need to replace the battery. 

Edited by ItsLunchBOX
  • Like 3