IGNORED

I Read HERE about Reducing TOP HEAVY on the Venture, cant find it???

10Power

(1)  I read that there is an article on this site that helps to reduce the way the Venture feels so Top Heavy...

and/or lifts the Rear and raises the back and tilts it forward?

I am very interested in that article, IF someone knows where to look for it?  I did the search function but did not help.....

Lowering the front end by raising forks in triple tree will also help.  I just recently did mine, lowered by 1/2", others have done more but I'm happy w/ the results and can sit flat footed at a stop light now.  I would not have believed that lowering by 1/2" would make such a difference on the top heavy feel, but it does.  I didn't expect that, was mainly going for being flat footed at stop.

Circa1968 

I have the same problem. I can't stand flat footed on the bike when I stop because of the height of the bike. How can I lower the front end like you did? Any info you have or suggestions other than what you have posted already? 

Thanks,

6 hours ago, circa1968 said:

Lowering the front end by raising forks in triple tree will also help.  I just recently did mine, lowered by 1/2", others have done more but I'm happy w/ the results and can sit flat footed at a stop light now.  I would not have believed that lowering by 1/2" would make such a difference on the top heavy feel, but it does.  I didn't expect that, was mainly going for being flat footed at stop.

I did this to an 06 and it is like adding power steering at slow speeds like in a parking lot, but be aware it is also easier to go full lock when turning sharp. If I had another 2nd gen I would do it again. 

11 hours ago, M61A1MECH said:

Try this link, the bad news is the folks that made leveling links no longer make them, you will need to make your own or find some one who can make them. They work great.

That's a great article, I will be doing that for sure,

Actually , I am 6' 1" so I would not care if the bike is higher, I just want it not so top heavy and a more nibble at low speeds. I'm tall so height is not a problem....

Question:  He states he only shortened the links by a 1/4 to get a inch height, doesn't seem like much in the pictures,

Would a 1/2" shorter be a problem?

Edited by 10Power

8 hours ago, CSaez said:

Circa1968 

I have the same problem. I can't stand flat footed on the bike when I stop because of the height of the bike. How can I lower the front end like you did? Any info you have or suggestions other than what you have posted already? 

Thanks,

It's a fairly big job, to be sure.  I removed the tank to protect it.  You will have to remove windshield, split the front fairing, pull the inner fairing away, etc.  Search the site, there are some instructions on how to do it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Woody said:

I did this to an 06 and it is like adding power steering at slow speeds like in a parking lot, but be aware it is also easier to go full lock when turning sharp. If I had another 2nd gen I would do it again. 

Agree.  I can also now walk my bike around in the garage like it weighs 100 lbs less.  With some practice, I was getting pretty good at low speed handling before lowering.  Some good videos out there on how to do that.

32 minutes ago, CSaez said:

Gotcha will do. Thanks. 

I'd offer to come help, but we're on opposite coasts and I just saw in you're profile you're a caterpillar mechanic so you'd probably want to bop me on the head with a wrench in no time!  You should be fine.   Very much worth the time/effort.

• Haha 1

I did the fork mod and then later added the taller front tire. Dont remember the right size but should be able to find it here, or I can go research my maintenance records. Its probably there. But made a bid difference.

I go with the leveling links and the 130 front tire because of the area where we ride, A lot of hills and turns . The two put together makes the cycle feel much lighter and handle much better. For me it takes it from going around turns with both hands to one hand in either direction. There are some that have tried it and dont like the feel at higher speeds. It does make the cycle feel more touchy.  There are other things that can make the Venture feel like a tub to ride also. Tire inflation can be a big one. How much air in the rear shock, how the neck bearings are adjusted can make a night or day change in how it feels. The springs in the front forks. If things are sloppy thats how its going to ride. And will make the Venture feel much more heavy 1st or 2nd gen.  

As god is my witness (as the expression goes)...I KNOW I should have had (and maybe even DID have) this convo 15 years ago when I bought the bike........BUT......and it's a BIG BUTT......

.....any conversation about LOWERING the center of gravity of ANYTHING seems to come off completely counter-intuitive as soon as the word RAISING appears on the page.

And, inevitably, every post or article I've ever seen about making the Gen II less "top-heavy" contains the phrase "raising the back end".

When I think of my bike ('03 Midnight)...I think of a woman. When I think of a woman....I think......oh, no....I'm backing out of this one right here and now!!!

Just, can SOMEONE please give me the 25 word (or as close to it as possible) explanation of "WHY RAISING ANYTHING COULD POSSIBLY LOWER THE CENTRE OF GRAVITY".

Thanks, guys.

Semi-retired - beats the hell out of me but I listened to the experts. Rick Butler in particular. He came up with the leveling links mod and the 130 ( narrower front tire). I did both immediately after getting the bike and never looked back.

Went from top heavy feeling, horrible balance at slow speeds and needing Popeye arms to muscle the bike through long miles of twisties to power steering and way better slow speed handling.

It just works. as for lowering the front forks for handling -that is the same as raising the rear. the leveling links added 3/4 inch to the seat height. In fact Rick Butler told me to get a piece of 3/4" plywood and set the back tire on it and see if I could still touch the ground, before buying or making the leveling links.

I brought my seat to him to modify for Waaaaay more comfort and the first thing he did was narrow the nose of the seat to make it easier to reach the ground when at a stop sign.

There you have it, the sum total of all my knowledge on the subject. @cowpuc do you have anything to add ?

VentureFar...

I just did the lower of forks. Level links didnt appeal to me for a couple reasons. One was the brake bracket thing to relocate and the other was I was not sure about changing the rear suspension shock geometry

On 6/14/2021 at 2:09 PM, Semi-retired said:

Just, can SOMEONE please give me the 25 word (or as close to it as possible) explanation of "WHY RAISING ANYTHING COULD POSSIBLY LOWER THE CENTRE OF GRAVITY".

The nomenclature is wrong, raising the rear of the bike changes the rake of the front forks, which results in a more neutral feeling of the front end. The narrower front tire makes the steering a little quicker thus feeling a bit more limber. I've done both and they work well.