IGNORED

Low mile 1989 venture to buy or not to buy?

Hi guys going to look at a 89 venture that has 11k miles and had been sitting for 20 years!!! the guy says he flushed the brakes, put in some clutch fluid, put in new battery and bottle of seafoam and shes running good. What should i be looking for when i go to see the bike? 20 years of sitting is a long time and i feel this bike may need a lot of maintenance like replacing all rubber hoses . He says no leaks and it will obviously need new rubber... thoughts?

Mine is a 83, original most everything, just sayin.  I would replace rubber hoses if going out of state, no issues.  I'd take a peek in the gas tank, rust can gum up a lot if it gets past an old filter. Tires will be shot, shocks might leak.

I see the one you are talking about as I live in Bloomington. I have not seen it in person but I would replace the tires no matter what the owner says.. those are 32 years old. The coolant hoses should be ok as I know a lot of us are still running them on our Ventures. Check the gas tank for rust and yes, carbs will need a good cleaning and maybe the diaphragms replaced due to pinholes in them.  Check the left side fairing around the radio and it looks like it is scuffed up there and might have been dropped, hard to say from the pictures.  If you need a second opinion, I might be able to check it out with you.  Just PM me here and we will see what we can work out for you. I am usually here in the evenings.

Rick F.

One more thing to expect is that the spark plug caps screw onto the wires and it isn't a weatherproof connection resulting in the wires corroding.  Typically, clipping a half inch or more of the wire will get rid of the green copper wire and screw them back together.  MY 85 Kawasaki wires include an oring inside the cap connection that makes it a weatherproof connection.

• 10 months later...
On 6/9/2021 at 11:13 PM, Pasta Burner said:

Link to the bike?  Price?  Can’t give advice without details.  That being said I bought my 87 with 36k in what I would call great condition.  Minimal plastic damage, ran good, stopped, needed tires.  For $1800. A year ago.

Thanks, that's a good yardstick. I bought my early 1983 VR with 39k miles for $1200. It had sat for about 10 years, but almost no damage anywhere (couple of plastic cracks) and all original books and accessories (I even have the chainlock that uses the original key!) - Just getting started on it. Needs tires, servicing and a good carb clean - it runs, but not well.

• Like 1