IGNORED

Running to hot in my opinion

Shaggy6801

Just purchase and 1984  Venture Royale xvz12 it's been sitting in a barn since 09 it seems like it runs too hot to me the gauge is 3/4 of the way up and fan runs a lot even while driving is there a thermostat I looked at the radiator it seems fine the gauge runs about halfway after the sun goes down and it is much cooler outside

I had a similar issue with a low-mileage 07 RSV that sat for a long time.  In the end, the carbs were all gunked up, causing a lean running condition, which made it run hot.  I believe there was also an issue with one of the diaphrams.  A carb rebuild solved my problem.

The gauge on an 84 and in reality all 1st gens tend to run towards the hotter side. In reality they're not a very accurate gauge. Unless it buries itself, that sounds about normal. Make sure the coolant is topped off and the radiator is clean between the fins and run it a bit.

• Like 1

Up date ,i believe i found my problem the thermostat was stuck closed. put it in a pan of boiling water and it did not open so I bent the top a little bit to let the anti freeze flow through it ,i let it run for a while temperature got just over half and the fan kicked on and it cooled itself back down

thank you for the help 

Edited by Shaggy6801
  • Like 2