IGNORED

2018 or 2020 Star Venture?

I'm looking at two Star Venture's to purchase and having a tough time deciding between them and was hoping for some insight. (sorry, buying both isn't an option) :)

First bike is a used 2018 Star Venture (red) with TC package and 4,500 miles. It's the color I like, looks to be in great shape, the TC package is factory-installed, and it has a great price. I'd hate to miss out on any possible improvements on later models though. I've heard about navigation issues on the 2018 models but don't know the specifics.

Second bike is a new 2020 Star Venture (blue) without TC package but the dealer is saying the price includes them installing all of the equipment that would come with the TC package. (Trying to confirm with them exactly what equipment they would install) My wife likes the color of the 2020 (I don't mind blue, just prefer red) and it's a good price, especially if it truly does include all (or most) of the TC equipment. (Honestly, the navigation is the only thing I really want, I rarely use the stereo and speakers on my RSV and never use the fog lights on my cars) I also really like buying new when it makes sense, but I prefer factory-installed equipment over dealer-installed.

Were the navigation issues resolved on the 2020 models? Would dealer-installed navigation eliminate the navigation issues?

Were there any improvements between the 2018 and the 2020 models that would justify spending $4,500 more for the 2020?

Any thoughts or feedback you can provide to help me make a decision will be appreciated!

It was just posted up by another member that Yamaha has a complete fix in process for the 2018 Nav/GPS issue. Whether that will be extended to second owners may or may not depend on whether it is sold through a dealership. I don't know if this is being considered a recall or not.

I can't speak to any other changes from 2018 to 2020.

Edited by luvmy40

2 hours ago, luvmy40 said:

It was just posted up by another member that Yamaha has a complete fix in process for the 2018 Nav/GPS issue. Whether that will be extended to second owners may or may not depend on whether it is sold through a dealership. I don't know if this is being considered a recall or not.

I can't speak to any other changes from 2018 to 2020.

Hey there @luvmy40, I believe given the nature of the known problem with the 2018 software it will most likely be a recall.

So I can assume that the GPS issue was resolved on the 2020 models? Yamaha sells a GPS navigator kit to upgrade the non-TC Venture, is it safe to assume that it doesn't have the issue that the 2018 models had?

On 6/9/2021 at 9:04 AM, Dbarbee said:

So I can assume that the GPS issue was resolved on the 2020 models? Yamaha sells a GPS navigator kit to upgrade the non-TC Venture, is it safe to assume that it doesn't have the issue that the 2018 models had?

Wish I could answer that affirmatively @Dbarbeebut it would be pure speculation on my part as I’m not familiar with the 2020 and later models. All I can say is that the 2018 has Harmon Kardon whereas the 2020 and later I think went Garmin.  At any rate, this is welcome news for 2018 owners.

I will say that across a number of different forums I haven’t heard of any complaints from new owners. 

Edited by ChiefGunner

Thanks all for the replies so far. I haven't made a decision yet, still weighing the pros and cons.

I would hope that the dealer installed navigation wouldn't have issues but I don't know how to confirm that either.

3 hours ago, Dbarbee said:

Thanks all for the replies so far. I haven't made a decision yet, still weighing the pros and cons.

I would hope that the dealer installed navigation wouldn't have issues but I don't know how to confirm that either.

Well the first thing you can do @Dbarbeeia to make sure no matter which model you get that the dealer had registered and updated ALL software PRIOR to delivery.

Have seen too many stories of individuals taking delivery and due to dealership ignorance the new owners had problems due to something not being registered like the sirius xm or updated to the latest software revision.