IGNORED

Hopefully GREAT NEWS for SVTC owners

I copied and pasted this from a different forum but it’s of interest to ALL.

Discussion Starter · #1 · 17 h ago(Edited)

"Hey Gar...about me calling today, Yamaha Canada, and then my dealer to verify...(I want this Yamaha B.S. FREE!!!!)"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Story 'bout a man named, Jed"....

Well, Gar, I just got off the phone with both Yamaha Canada, AND, my selling dealer to 'double tap' the truth of following information:

1...This is FRONT PAGE NEWS!---- From Yamaha Canada (and I suppose in tandem with Yamaha U.S.A.)....we are EITHER getting for all 2018 year SVTC owners, AT NO COST TO THE OWNER....a complete MAJOR system-level and (possibly hardware module) re-do of the 2018 model year Yamaha Star Venture T.C.

Here's the 'skinny'....they HAVE the solution in house. Due to Covid 19 over the last two years, they have not had the in-house and Harmon-Kardon support they needed to finish the project, but are testing right now in their facilities in Japan. I asked if it was software or hardware (modules...the modules behind the right fairing cover...) or both. The Yamaha Rep could NOT divulge to me, as he was not authorized by the factory (Yamaha Japan) to give out that information, as because it was in test mode, something could still be added, deleted, reworked, recalled, and/or additional module modifications, or not, could happen. They are at that quality assurance and burn in stage.

But..he said, that YOU, AND ALL OTHER 2018 YAMAHA STAR VENTURE OWNERS ARE GOING TO NEED TO GO TO THE DEALER, FOR THIS UPDATE AND/OR MODIFICATION. Gar...that you have to go to your selling DEALER...highly suggests that it is not merely an ISO download, or that because of the total replacement, that the software is too huge, or...that it must be a dealer level install to guarantee that the owner will not, or was not responsible for BORKING his/her, her/his bike...with no way to return to running service, unless full module replacement. This will NOT be available as a download ISO file!!!

I then called the owner of my selling dealer...and he gave WAY more information, as they have also been notified, and in consultation with Yamaha Canada.

Here's what he JUST TOLD ME!:

"Joe...very happy to report to you, and I'm sorry that I had not called you two weeks ago...we have been swamped...but that aside, with apologies The GPS has been totally reworked, and fixed...they say, (Yamaha I assume the 'they' is...) you folks will love the new GPS, and other concerns have been also addressed. Also there might be added after year launch additional features." He alluded to, but could not say directly.

I asked him if it were true that you have to book an appointment with your dealer...for this is not-owner installed, and he said: "Yep...that is necessary as we were told only that it was going to be a large overhaul, and might include RE and RE of system parts and modules, therefore requiring the owners to book into their dealers. This can not be done at home, by the owner."

He told me, that he has repeatedly told them...that what was the current state of affairs with 2018 release year owners, his words to Yamaha( "is...total B.S.! They paid $32,000 dollars CDN, and you gave them a dime store software release. He said that why did they not just go with Garmin, instead of looking for the cheapest way out? That's what he said he told them repeatedly, and that he was caught in the middle between a rock and a hard place taking complaints...and not being able to remedy them for almost three years.

So, while my dealer still does not know whether it is to be only a software installation, or a software and hardware module installation on the 2018 SVTC, it will need to be done at your dealer and most dealers he talked with, agree that it is pretty much pointing to a not only software rewrite, but the modules on the computer board that the software will control/speak to... So Gar....it's taken a three year journey in the SVTC Ark...before we will settle down upon Mount Yamaha, but...it is coming probably within two months (my time suggestion) as it still is being burnt in by Yamaha Japan. This, my dealer said, is not WISH WARE...they have the 'solution' (code for software, hardware, or both) but it will turn our rides, into friggin' Grand Tour perfection...and when it lands...so will the climb of re-acquired resale retention equity.

I'm sure there will be a ton of YouTube 'after installs' stating that this is so much better, this has been fixed...'that' now makes the bike even a better touring platform, but I'll bet you one thing...that Yamaha is going (with the use of this update) going to try and recoup and repair the damage of their botched 2018 SVTC launch....and gain traction on Honda....and if they produce a perfectly working (as intended) SVTC...CB and all...it will be a sure slap across Honda chops for sure! Final thing, the dealer said that the rep told him they WORKED IN OTHER FEATURES as they could with a total rewrite. Dang! I think...if I were Yamaha, and had to to this...that I would make the Yamaha SVTC even MORE noted as non Harley, or Honda wannabe/clone. With a total rewrite..(for remember...if you add modules, and the software to run them...you can add ANYTHING to the SVTC...for being totally software driven, any feature (with supporting module) can be written in.... Gar....good times ahead....and I think there will be one chap...THAT WILL BE KICKING HIMSELF, THAT HE TRADED IN HIS SVTC FOR 'ANOTHER RIDE'.... In one of the songs made famous by the late, King of the Blues, Mr. B.B. King himself-----singing----->... "..it seems, you might have made your move, too soon!"....

No more...the empty check's in the mail, Gar...my dealer was told, it is no longer vaporware,...they 'have' the 'solution' for the 2018 SVTC model year...IN JAPAN...and are at the install and test stage....

A few more weeks of patience. I already told my dealer...that I want to be booked in SOONER, than later....before the 2018 re-do stampede happens....

You might want to contact your dealer...and see what's up with the above info...on your side of the border...

Yeeee Haw! (BTW, my wife had to come into the Den), to find out what I was hollering in happy 'naughty sound-bytes' over...and got excited herself, when hearing the news. She sure hopes that they got the Intercom/C.B. connection...DICSONNECTED.....and I sure hope so too. We always love to talk to the Knights of the long Mile..., when out during the night...to stay sharp, and enjoy the three-way conversation. We did that all the time on our 2000 Honda GL-1500 (which had O.E.M Citizen's Band Radio).

Joe (doing the Irish Happy Dance)...

Post Edit, Oh, BTW Gar, my dealer also told, me that they were advised by Yamaha Canada, to have me come in, and THEY would reprogram my FOB, as that (by his discussion with the Yamaha Service Rep, would be the solution for a 'wavering' FOB bike connection intermittent 'problem' before they will replace the FOB hardware itself. So that is getting done mid July....
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bpate4home said:

This is Awesome news.  I've only complained a little to the dealer because I didn't expect much.  I need to go in for the recall on the brake switch soon so I will be sure to bring it up. 

Well @bpate4home I’ve complained enough to Yamaha over the time period that last time they actually hung up on me!

I wonder if they’ve got my number flagged? image.png.07b0a5d6f3a9717d52c72de90e28d9d4.png

• Haha 1

UPDATE:  Well, I personally stopped by my dealership and asked the service manager if he’d got wind of any such “repair/mod” coming down the pike?  He said “he had not, but that doesn’t mean anything. Sometimes dealers are the last to know.”

Again it seems more of a “wait and see”. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Edited by ChiefGunner

Hope this is true.  I've been fighting with Yamaha Canada head office for 3 years and have dozens of emails and phone calls back and forth because of multiple failures and flaws in my 2018 SVTC software and Nav system.  I was told in 2019 that a software fix was coming (didn't happen), then promised in March 2020 that new hardware was coming, then told in March of 2021 that neither was coming and that no further updates were planned. Lots of empty promises and "sorry there's nothing we can do's" so I will cross my fingers on this one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VentureDog said:

Hope this is true.  I've been fighting with Yamaha Canada head office for 3 years and have dozens of emails and phone calls back and forth because of multiple failures and flaws in my 2018 SVTC software and Nav system.  I was told in 2019 that a software fix was coming (didn't happen), then promised in March 2020 that new hardware was coming, then told in March of 2021 that neither was coming and that no further updates were planned. Lots of empty promises and "sorry there's nothing we can do's" so I will cross my fingers on this one.

I feel ya @VentureDog. All of us 2018 owners have been on this same roller coaster.  IMHO, this is the ONLY way Yamaha can redeem itself. Many have abandoned Yamaha because Yamaha abandoned them. There are thousands more of us who are on the fence about our faith in Yamaha and their actions here could have massive repercussions.

We can only hope that our faith has not been misplaced.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This topic was pulled on the other forum, poster got an email asking for it to be removed, moderator did so. Recommend copying and saving it somewhere.

I have asked poster what Yamaha is trying to hide, and waiting for his answer.

7 hours ago, ecbaatz said:

This topic was pulled on the other forum, poster got an email asking for it to be removed, moderator did so. Recommend copying and saving it somewhere.

I have asked poster what Yamaha is trying to hide, and waiting for his answer.

I saw that Eric and think that’s just self serving BS on his part. He goes and tells everyone about this and then is ok being silenced as long as HE GOT HIS.

What were they gonna do?? REMOVE his update if he didn’t delete his posts?

It just seems extremely self centered and cowardly on his part to not take a stand given how many people on various forums and pages have made know their problems and concerns.   Unbelievable!!

And just for posterity sake I’m posting HERE what he said he was instructed to do BY YAMAHA!!

Soooo, what did they do to your bike. Is it a secret? I no longer see the thread. Is there a secret handshake also, I need to know. image.gif.e6b23412f232f725cb69e9c11fe56401.gif

I'll answer you with only this...last night I received an email that I was asked to remove the thread. I will not mention by whom. I contacted a wonderful moderator who did just that. I won't talk any further about what was done to my bike OTHER than what you read here, in that while riding, my wife and I really enjoyed the RED (sunrise) in the year of 2021. The 'sunshine' on the bike is just WONDERFUL...every blemish has been erased. That's all I will say going on. If you remember any of that thread...put two and two together, and you will have a great view of my speaking of the 'sunshine' since getting home, and we both having our first ride in the sun....from the dealer's visit. Cheers! Basking now in the 'sunshine' and everything is just great now. What a FANTASTIC bike, my '2018' Yamaha Star Venture Trans Continental is, Kc61. Yep...my '2018' runs just GREAT! All the electronics...the engine...the whole enchilada!

Joe

Edited by ChiefGunner

Chief,  Looks like he is trying to tell us something by giving us tips. Like RED, 2021 and sunshine. I have no idea what these could mean. Something is going on, something big. I am not sure why Yamaha wanted the tread gone. Maybe Yamaha just isn't quite ready to release this upgrade. I just don't know what to think of all this

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think I know what kc61 is trying to say since I've gone through dealer visits over for the last month or so after complaining so long about the same problems that everyone else is having w/ their 2018s from the start (fob, informant and map problems). My dealer 1st replaced the brake switch (again) and updated the system (I did it the 1st time). After the update, the GPS had me somewhere in the middle of Lake Michigan. I live in Milwaukee. Then, the fob and GPS antennas were replaced after problems with the update. The new parts and the map update did nothing to correct the problem so save your $100.00. Now, Yamaha is sending out the new, updated (2021) informant system. My dealer said it will be a total replacement. He stated Yamaha said I had to go through all of the previous B.S. before getting to this point. I did call Yamaha a few times to complain. At some point I think Yamaha will save some money and skip on unnecessary parts replacement and just replace the system as a whole. I'll keep everyone updated.

• Like 3

BTW, has any one noticed Yamaha has released the bike again for 2021? Two new colors. 

I don't know if the update was done on the gps/infotainment system but the TC package is now standard. That's all I was able to get out of the release...

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/transcontinental-touring/models/star-venture

Edited by videoarizona
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Kent said:

Anything new on the software fix for the 2018 venture?

Sorry @Kent but last news I had is that there will be no new software updates.  There is a story on another forum of a guy (actually 6 bikes) in Ontario which were gone over by 3 Yamaha engineers in which all the modules and some wiring harness work was done. It seems hat they put 2020 modules in the 2018 to upgrade them.  Despite Yamaha being aware of the problems, there will be NO recall and only a case by case based on who is the LOUDEST complainer.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately solutions to problems such as these is to get a sufficiently large enough group of folks together who have painstakingly documented extremely similar issues and then present this to the manufacturer as a group... having a couple of seeming high-powered attorneys do the presentation is also usually required to solve such issues.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

New member here. Hi. Does anyone have an update to this issue?

I've been considering going to the Star Venture, for the infotainment system, but am stopped by this string. I was a 1st generation Venture Royale owner from '89-99 and had a good relationship with my dealer; good support from Yamaha, as well. Since '99 I've been on BMW LT's and now the gtl. Sorry to hear that Yamaha does not stand behind their product. BMW does, for the most part, stand behind their product. They just don't offer as much product (infotainment system) to have to stand behind. I've had an old wired J & M system on my gtl since '15, but if the danged thing ever stops working I'm screwed. J & M does not sell the same product anymore.

Guess I'll have to see what the American manufacturers have to offer.

Thanks,

Pmac

21 hours ago, Pmac said:

New member here. Hi. Does anyone have an update to this issue?

I've been considering going to the Star Venture, for the infotainment system, but am stopped by this string. I was a 1st generation Venture Royale owner from '89-99 and had a good relationship with my dealer; good support from Yamaha, as well. Since '99 I've been on BMW LT's and now the gtl. Sorry to hear that Yamaha does not stand behind their product. BMW does, for the most part, stand behind their product. They just don't offer as much product (infotainment system) to have to stand behind. I've had an old wired J & M system on my gtl since '15, but if the danged thing ever stops working I'm screwed. J & M does not sell the same product anymore.

Guess I'll have to see what the American manufacturers have to offer.

Thanks,

Pmac

Don't let this sway you as a lot of complaints were around the GPS and people said they could not get more than 5 way points. Working with several people we were able to get this narrowed down to the file format for the upload to the bike.  We've got a full write up here. There are spots of people who have had varying issues from heat complaints to starters to the brake switch (recall for this).  My experience has been great outside of the GPS which is now resolved in my opinion. I ride with a lot of different people with different bikes.  They all have had some issues with their new bikes they did not expect.