IGNORED

Fan not working ..Remove radiator ?

Hello all . My first post 

I was driving my 1999 Royal Star Venture last night in 85 degree weather in stop and go traffic 

Red temp light came on and bike shut off 

i was at a stop light I started bike back up and drive 20’ to get off road 

Let it cool down for an hour 

Than drove home , fan isnt working atall 

How do I get to the temp switch to check it and how do I Remove the fan if its toast  

thnx  Dave 

I'm pretty sure you'll need to pull the radiator to get to the fan and possibly the thermo switch.  Before going through all that, 1st step is check the fan motor fuse (Located behind left side cover, fuse #2).  Next, remove the lower cowlings and trace the fan wire to the connector on the lower left (shifter) side of the bike. You are looking for a two-wire connector (Blue & Black).  I used my battery tender and crudely rigged a couple pieces of wire to feed 12v to the fan to make sure it will run when given power (blue = +, black = -)

If both of those are good, there's also a noise filter between the thermoswitch and the fan.  I'm not 100% certain where that is, but probably down in the same area.  Test to make sure that its good.

Once you find the filter, check to make sure you have continuity to chassis ground from the neg terminal, on the fan side.

If all are good, thermo switch is next.  Its at the top of the radiator, so you might be able to perform some wrenching gymnastics to remove it with the rad in place.

Good luck and let us know how you progress.

• Like 1

the thermo switch should be threaded into the thermostat housing. If the fuse is ok try the following. if a single wire goes to the thermo switch disconnect it and with the key on ground the wire if the fan is ok it should run. If it is a double wire disconnect it and jump the 2 wires together the fan should run. If it does you likely need a new thermal switch or in the case of the 2 wire set up a noise filter. if you can get to the 2 wire connector for the fan you can put 12volts directly to the fan to see if the fan itself works or not.  if it does not and you can find no fault in the wiring going to the fan then you likely need a new fan.

On my bike I installed a fan override switch so I could manually turn the fan on early if I want to or as a backup if the thermo switch should ever fail.

Edited by saddlebum

3 hours ago, saddlebum said:

the thermo switch should be threaded into the thermostat housing. If the fuse is ok try the following. if a single wire goes to the thermo switch disconnect it and with the key on ground the wire if the fan is ok it should run. If it is a double wire disconnect it and jump the 2 wires together the fan should run. If it does you likely need a new thermal switch or in the case of the 2 wire set up a noise filter. if you can get to the 2 wire connector for the fan you can put 12volts directly to the fan to see if the fan itself works or not.  if it does not and you can find no fault in the wiring going to the fan then you likely need a new fan.

On my bike I installed a fan override switch so I could manually turn the fan on early if I want to or as a backup if the thermo switch should ever fail.

I like that override switch idea!  Seems like it takes forever for the fan to come on. 

On 2nd gen bikes, there are two thermo switches.  The 1st switch is in the radiator, to turn on the fan.  The one you mentioned in the thermostat housing completes a ground path to turn on the indicator light and also goes to the starting circuit cutoff relay.  I'm assuming they did it this way for the sake of having two different temperature thresholds, one to turn on the fan and one for when shit hits the fan.

https://www.venturerider.org/wiring/99-09 Yamaha Royal Star Venture Wiring Diagram Rev B.pdf

Fan circuit is in lower right of diagram, the indicator thermoswitch is near lower left.

• Like 1